Chapter 7: Mother knows best.

“Mom!”

Joyce looked up at her daughter as she came out of the room, with the blond vampire that she remembered meeting once before a few years prior.

“Buffy Anne Summers, what do you think that you are doing? Coming out a bedroom with that boy, and in such a state!”

Spike was about to correct her that he was no ‘boy’ when he felt Buffy's elbow in his ribs, which would have winded him had he had any breath to lose. “Mom, it's not what you think. What are you doing here anyway?”

“What am I doing here? Buffy, I was worried about you! You didn’t come home last night or have you forgotten that, nor did you call to tell me that you wouldn’t be home! What’s a mother supposed to think? You are the slayer Buffy, I am not naive enough to think you might not be in danger occasionally. So I did what any worrying mother who cares about her daughter would do when she finds out she hadn’t been home! I came to see your watcher to see if he knew where you were. And here I find you canoodling with a vampire! Yes I remember too well that Spike is a vampire.” She stood in front of Buffy with her hand on her hips.

“Canoodling? Mom, we weren’t canoodling! We were doing nothing!”

Joyce gave her daughter's messed up hair and disarrayed clothes an unbelieving stare. “I don’t care what your excuses are, you are coming home with me now.”

Buffy looked down nervously at her feet. “I can’t.”

“What do you mean, you can’t?”

“I am stuck to Spike.” Buffy refused to look her mom in the eye as she said it. It had been embarrassing enough telling her friends; she couldn’t believe she now had to tell her mom as well.

It was Giles, however, that spoke up. “I was trying to tell you that Joyce, when you came in. While I made the coffee.”

Joyce now whirled round to look at Giles. “You told me Buffy had been in an accident and was in the guest bedroom. What was I supposed to think?”

“Well I didn’t expect you to go running off into the bedroom!”

“Didn’t expect...Mr Giles…”

Buffy now stepped forward to separate the two, dragging Spike along with her. The bubble was so constricting now that he could barely stand not touching Buffy.

“Okay mom, calm down! I am fine. I am not hurt. Spike and I didn’t do anything” yet, Buffy couldn’t help adding to herself. She was finding it very hard having Spike stand so close behind her and not being able to reach over and touch him. “I still hate his guts don’t worry. Yes, we had an accident, some voodoo priest guy cast a spell on us and made us stick together in a mystical mumbo jumbo bubble thing. Giles and the gang are working on a way to free us. Okay? Can everyone please now stop shouting at each other?” Buffy gave her mom the best smile she could muster.

“Why didn’t you call me?”

“It was late, I guess it slipped my mind I am sorry. But at least I am not dead or anything, right.”

Joyce gave Buffy a look that only mothers could do, the kind of look that would freeze hell.

Taking a step back to move from in between her mother and her watcher, Buffy accidentally walked straight into Spike’s hard chest. Arousal flared within her, which Spike immediately picked up on and tried to move slightly closer to her. Buffy, not wanting to let her mom get suspicious, expertly sidestepped him. Giles was oblivious to the entire thing, however Joyce saw the blush creep up to her daughter’s cheeks, and she knew there was something more going on than what she was saying.

“Umm mom, Spike and I just have to talk to Giles a moment.”

Joyce looked at her daughter. “Okay then, you can have a moment, I will be in the kitchen, but then you and I have to talk.”

Joyce then turned back to the small kitchenette, leaving the three alone.

“Giles, we seem to have developed a slight problem overnight. We umm…well see the thing is... umm” Buffy started to wring her hands in front of her, ashamed to tell her watcher what she had nearly done with Spike.

“What Buffy is trying to say is that we want to shag each other’s brains out.”

“Spike!” Buffy spun round to glare daggers at him, yet her focus seemed to get stuck on his plump lips that she could just image trailing all over her body doing unimaginable things to her.

Giles however, was furiously cleaning his glasses and trying to ignore the heated stares the slayer and the vampire were sharing.

Finally snapping herself out of the Spike induced haze, Buffy sheepishly looked back at her watcher. “Well I kinda wasn’t gonna tell you that bit. That’s not the only problem though.”

“Oh good lord, there’s more?”

“Our bubble got smaller overnight, now we can’t get further away from each other than this!” Buffy said, emphasising the space with her hands.

“Were you and Spike, umm, doing anything when the bubble decreased in size?

“No!” Buffy started vehemently to shake her head, when she felt Spike tap her on her shoulder.

“Now that ain’t exactly true now is it, luv?

Giles hadn’t thought it possible for his slayer to go as red as it did, but sure enough, there she was in front of him, her whole face as red as a tomato.

“Wewerekissingonthebed” Buffy said it so fast that Giles only just caught what she was saying.

“Buffy Anne Summers!” However it seemed that Joyce had heard it perfectly even from the kitchen.

“Mom?”

Joyce came storming round the corner from the kitchen. “I thought I brought you up to be a lady. I thought you had a boyfriend!”

“I do! I love Riley.”

Hearing Buffy say her boyfriend’s name, Spike felt an instant jealousy. Shaking his head he accounted it to simply the spell they were under.

“I can’t help this thing with Spike! Do you think I want to find his undead carcass attractive?”

“Hey! Now that was a bit low, not like I said anything about your skinny hide!”

“Oh sure, ‘cause you never say anything bad about me, do you?”

“No, but I can think of some if you keep that lip up.”

Before Buffy had any time to retaliate Spike’s lips came crashing down on hers. As their bodies melted together, neither cared that Giles and Joyce were standing right next to them.

That’s until Buffy felt herself being pulled away from Spike.

“Crap! We did it again.” Buffy could feel the bubble at her back, knowing it was now even smaller. “Did it do that glow-y thing?”

Giles once again started to clean his glasses, thinking that he would never again be able to erase the image. “It would seem that it did. I will have the gang start researching on it.”

“Giles! That could take ages, can’t you just do a Giles thing and fix it? I know! I could stake him! Solves two problems then, no more annoying Spike and no more bubble! Bingo!” Buffy’s face lit up as she thought of the idea.

“I fear that would not work Buffy as it would make your situation a lot more complicated.”

“More complicated than it already is? That’s just not possible.”

“Even if you were to stake him, Spike would in essence still exist, or at least his remains would. So you would be stuck wherever his dust was.”

Buffy’s face fell as she realised what he was saying. “Stupid vampire.” But as his hands fell to her hip the last thing she thought of Spike was ‘stupid’ as arousal flooded her. Moving back a few steps she started to move her hips against his erection.

That was until her mother once again grabbed hold of her wrist and pulled her as far away from Spike as she could get. “Giles you can handle the research, I assume. I am taking these two home where I can keep an eye on them.” Joyce talked about them as though they were two naughty school children.

“I think that is wise, Joyce. It appears that this spell may have seriously affected their judgement and it is best if they are not left alone right now.

“Umm... Mrs Summers. One slight problem with your plan.” As Joyce looked at him, Spike knew she hadn’t got what he was getting at. “Its daytime, I’m a vampire, we don’t mix.”

“Can we cover you? My car is just outside”

Spike heaved a sigh; he could see this not going well. “Fine, but we are going to have to move fast. Joyce you go first and start the car.”

As she left the apartment, Giles handed Spike the thick blanket off the sofa. “I would prefer it not burnt to a crisp. I happen to like that one.”

“Do what I can, Rupes.”

With that Buffy and Spike headed for the door, however as they were so closely joined now, walking fast had defiantly become a problem.

“Oh sod this.” Grabbing Buffy, Spike spun Buffy around and hitched her over his shoulder, fireman’s lift style, before wrapping the blanket round them both.

Just as he was opening the door to run to the car he felt Buffy squeeze his bottom under the blanket. If today didn’t kill them both, he thought, it was certainly going to get very interesting.

TBC…