Chapter 12: Game Plan

“What time you leavin’?” Spike asked eagerly, popping into the living room just having returned home from Gunn’s.

“In a hurry to get me out of the house?” Giles plucked the glasses from his face.

“Yeah.” Spoken pointedly.

“At least I didn’t raise you to lie, even if it would be in your best interest at this particular moment.” He cleaned and replaced the specs.

“Buffy’s comin’ over, AND before you have a stroke, I think you should know that I’m different around her. More myself… on my best behaviour… except for the snoggin’ in public, but that was different. And I think this is good for me… and all those rumours at school aren’t true… well… except for the one ‘bout Mrs. French, but that was different. So basically I just think you should go to your gig, have a great time and all that, and Buffy and I will be here… alone… but it’s…”

“Different?” Giles inserted.

“Yeah?”

“I completely agree.”

“You do?”

“Yes. Miss Summers seems like an exceptional young woman and I am more then trusting of you William. I will be gone by eight.” He smiled softly.

“You feelin’ alright Da’?”

“Quite.”

“Well in that case forget ‘bout the snog and the substitute, right.”

“Gladly.”

~~

“What time we leaving?” Xander asked zealously popping his head into Buffy’s room.

“Now OK! We’re done- NO thanks to YOU jumping in here and asking us when we’re going every five minutes!” Buffy crossed her tanned arms over her chest and commenced pouting.

“Sorry Buff, but this time is different- I actually have a reason for the buggin’. Angel looks like he’s heading out, we might want to increase the speed if we’re gonna catch him.” He nodded informatively.

“Why didn’t you say that in the first place?! Real nice Xand!” Buffy sprung from her seat, heading immediately for the stairs.

“What? What I do?” He sulked.

“It’s a girl thing.” Willow inserted before pointing a finger and pausing for a deliberately placed scowl.

“Women.” With that he followed the girls downstairs.

Buffy cut Angel off at the door just as he reached for the knob. Willow and a hesitant Xander speedily lining up beside her.

“Cute, really, you’re like the Three Stooges. However, I’m not in the mood for comedy, I’m busy.” Angel went for the knob a second time.

“Too busy to drop us at the mall on your way out?” Buffy pushed her bottom lip out to its hilt and swayed innocently, eyes pleading.

“That about sums it up, yeah.” He avoided Buffy’s gaze, instead focusing on an obviously agitated Xander.

“Pleeeeeeeeeeeease!” Her arms flew around her brother’s torso.

Buffy looked back gesturing for Willow and Xander to join in. Suddenly arms clipped in around Buffy followed by a second pair around Willow.

“Ohhhhhhhggg!” Angel’s effort at sounding repulsed fell short, a smile and snort escaping.

“It’s a hug-a-thon, we’re like a hug train!” Xander quipped.

“OK that’s enough! I’ll take you, get in the car, NOW!” Angel pried himself from the embrace, opening the door and pointing emphatically towards his convertible.

“Thank you big brother!” Buffy leaned in and kissed his cheek before scurrying out into the sunshine.

“Thank you big brother!” Xander mocked leaning in, only to be shoved out the door.

Willow looked up at Angel and ran.

~~

“Should I be worried?” Giles posed stopping at his son’s open bedroom door.

“Don’t DO that!” Spike jumped, almost crumbling to floor as a result.

“But it’s so fun.” He snickered accepting the glare he received. “Now once more, should I or shouldn’t I be worried?”

“‘Bout what?” The best innocent look he could muster planted in place as he shrugged.

“Well, you’re eighteen years old. Which means you’ve had over 6,500 chances to clean this room, but instead have chosen to hazard contracting many toxic diseases and possible suffocation by dirty laundry- until today. Thus one would assume the world is about to end, yes.” He arched his brow and smirked.

“You ever think ‘bout goin’ on the road with that act ol’ man, bloody hilarious it is.” Spike snorted in reply.

“Come now, I’m just having a little fun.” A jubilant giggle and smile rolled off him.

“Well it’s not appreciated right! I’m a little nervous here and you crakin’ out the oldie jokes isn’t helpin’!”

“I’m not that old, for heavens sake!”

“Really? What’s your set tonight? Let me guess… old seventies soft rock, old seventies soft rock, whiny Clapton ballade, old seventies soft rock.” He scoffed.

“NO! I’ll have you know that I’m singing Clapton at the end of the set!” He faked shock.

“Yeah cause that sends you reeling back 10 or 20 years at least!”

“You’re right, it’s no use- I should just forget about my visions of youth and grandeur and stay home tonight.” He eyed his son.

“You know you’re lookin’ good today da’, really, it’s like a new you!”

“A little desperate aren’t you…. what exactly do you have planed for tonight?” Giles arched a brow in anticipation.

“Nothin’ special…” He scanned his freshly cleaned room, avoiding eye contact. “Maybe some dinner… talkin’… singin’.” He whispered the last confession.

“Forgive me I must have missed that last one?” His eyes danced and lips curled mischievously.

“Singin’!”

“What have you done with my son?”

“Look… I mentioned to Buffy that you had a gig tonight right… next thing I know she’s cooing ‘bout how bloody cute it is and I might have mentioned that it ran in the family.” He winced at his full confession.

“Well, good thing it does then, yes.” His amusement was clearly evident.

“I don’t know what I was bloody well thinkin’ I cant sing in front of her!” He dropped to the floor defeated and angry.

“Then don’t.”

“Oh you just have all the answers don’t you.”

“Well yes.” With a purposefully pompous tone he stepped back, readying himself to depart.

“Funny.”

Giles began walking away

“William…” He stopped part way down the hall to assert a final thought. “The other acoustic is in the study.”

~~

“How about this one!” Buffy held up a lacy strip of deep red fabric.

“Uh…um… shouldn’t we be going, I mean, Xander is going to be waiting for us right.” Willow’s face tinted with shame and her eyes pleaded for relief.

“Come on Will, I need your female opinion here! Besides we have like 10 minutes.” She pleaded, scrunching several frilly garments in her tiny fists.

“I cant! I mean… my opinion, though female, is without thoughts on, well… lets just say I still have Kermit and Miss Piggy underwear somewhere in my dresser, ok.” Her cheeks darkened as she shrugged apologetically.

“Pleeeease! I need something sexy.” Willow’s eyes widened at Buffy confession. “It’s not like anyone’s gonna see my new pretty, I just want to be girly, you know.”

“Well…” Willow arched a brow suspiciously. “In that case, the red, definitely the red.”

“The red it is!” Buffy wiggled it in the air, leaving the losers behind.

“So no ones gonna see it huh?” Willow quizzed deviously.

“NO! Of course not!” Buffy flamed with embarrassment.

“Right.”

~


A/N: hope you liked! dates up next! please let me know if you liked... makes the plot bunnies dance! thanks as always to the fantastic four: Pet, cordykitten, Midnite_Holic, and PhotographyNut, love you guys.