Chapter 13: Home field advantage

It was 8:23 pm.

“Where the hell is my lighter!” The empty house offered no answer.

Spike searched frantically, two un-lit candles adorning the perfectly set table before him.

The doorbell sounded causing him to jump back, his hip sticking the small end table to his left- his lighter tipping to the ground.

“Thank God!” He swiftly snapped the flame to life, brushing it over the eager wicks before shuffling off to greet his guest.

He drew in a slow breath prior to swinging the door on its hinges; it was all for naught however, when said breath caught in his throat.

“Good evening Mr. Giles.” She purred seductively, giggling when he unconsciously adjusted his tie.

“C-Come in.” He moved away slightly, giving her access to his home, eyes never leaving her.

“Thanks, um… I like the ensemble.” Her eyes combed over his appearance.

“Same to you pet.” He prowled around her, taking in every inch he could.

“You said dressy causal on the phone and I was a little worried I had gotten it wrong…” She smiled up at him. “But looks like I did ok.”

“You did good luv.” He wrapped his arms around her tiny waist leaving a whispery kiss on her nose.

Her grey knee length skirt swayed with her movements. And a short denim jacket partially hid a fitted white tank. Her hair pulled low into a shiny loose bun completed the requested look.

“I think t-shirts are over-rated, it should be a new law that all boys must wear dress shirts and ties with their jeans.”

“All boys?” He growled arching his scarred brow.

“Ok, amendment to new law, ‘all boys’ shall be replaced with ‘only Spike’.” She gasped when he captured her lips in a searing kiss.

“That’s better.”

“Much.”

Spike nuzzled his face into the crook of her neck, sucking in her sweet aroma, nibbling tenderly on her sensitive flesh.

“Mmmm…” Buffy groaned out.

“You like that kitten?”

“Something smells sooooooooo good!” She murmured.

“Oi! Nice to know my efforts are appreciated!” He grumbled.

“Did you cook?”

“Uh… yeah.” Spike flushed.

“Then I think your efforts are very much appreciated.” Buffy lifted up on to her tippy-toes placing a loving kiss on his cheek. “Now let’s eat!”

~~

“…But my dreams they aren't as empty
As my conscience seems to be
I have hours, only lonely
My love is vengeance
That's never free”

Giles eyes sifted shut as he let the melody overtake him. His fingers danced with the strings, his mind wondering to his broken family as the words sunk deep into his thoughts.

“No one knows what its like
To feel these feelings
Like I do, and I blame you!
No one bites back as hard
On their anger
None of my pain and woe
Can show through…”

The verse struck a cord within, grief and concern for his son suddenly filling his psyche.

~~

“You like strawberries luv?” Spike began to gather the now empty dishes from the table, candlelight casting shadows about the room.

“There’s more!” Her eyes bugged. “After the half-a-cow I just swallowed I figured we were leaning towards done!”

“Mmmm- but the way you make it sound so appetising, how can we resist!” He giggled at the pink tongue that shot out at him.

“If I’m that disgusting why do you always feed me when we’re together huh!” Arms folded across her chest, lips pursed.

“Purely scientific basis. I’m curious to see how much you could actually consume before burstin’.” Buffy’s leg jolted out form underneath the table sticking his shin. “OWE, watch it! Got ‘spensive china here!” He winked before disappearing into the kitchen.

“So these strawberries…” She called after him. “They wouldn’t be of the chocolaty variety would they?”

“Knew that bottomless pit would get the best of you.” His voice echoed into the dining room.

“Hey! Well if you’re gonna be that way then I wont even look at your stupid berries!” She huffed.

“Oh, none then? I’ll just toss these…” Spike appeared brandishing a tray of deep red berries all coated in thick chocolate.

Buffy’s eyes grew wide and hungry.

“No! I mean, there’s no sense in getting rid of them if you already made them and all.” She reached for the tantalizing morsels.

“Ah- Ah- Ah! We relocate and then you can stuff your gob until your hearts content right kitten.” He held the forbidden fruit high as he backed out of the room.

“Meany!” She pouted before following him to the stairs. “Where exactly are we relocating to?”

“You’ll see.”

“Uh, I’m not sure we should be going… up there.” She halted mid-stair, nervous.

“Yeah, you’re right, cause being another 10 feet off the ground is wrong.” He jeered.

“Don’t play innocent with me Casanova… I know your tricks!” She bit out.

“Oh? And what tricks are those?”

“Sexy fruit, sexy bedroomage and…uh…”

“Sex?”

“Yes, I mean NO!” She gasped. “SEE! I knew it!”

“You know you’re bloody adorable when you’re brassed pet.” He slid down the steps separating then. “But since we’re not going to my room, you can relax. And I apologise for my fruit being sexy, wasn’t my intention.” Again he winked.

“Oh.” She flared deep red with embarrassment. “Sorry.”

“No need for apologies luv, least not until you see where I’m actually takin’ you.”

“So where are…”

“It’s a surprise.”

Buffy followed Spike up to the second floor in silence, past several bedrooms, to the dead-end of a hallway.

“Ohhhh how romantic.” She mocked.

“You’ll eat those words sassy girl.” His eyes never left hers as he balanced the tray on one arm while reaching up with the other, tugging once aggressively a ladder folded down from the ceiling.

She stared, unconvinced.

“Fine I'll go first.” With that he ascended the secret staircase. “Coming?”

Buffy cautiously began to climb.

“Close your eyes.”

“What? I’m kinda using them right now, thanks.”

“I’ll take your hand when you get close, now close your eyes.”

She obeyed.

She didn’t even hear what he said after his voice instructed her to open her eyes. Her senses shut out everything, keen on absorbing her magical surroundings.

The roof hideaway wasn’t visible from the street. Adorned with creeping ivy and bright roses sleeping in antique pottery it was a world in itself, truly a secret garden, a garden in the sky.

“The stars.” Was all that she managed to whisper.

“Yeah, looks like your tucked up in ‘em eh.” He never looked at the stars, his gaze engrossed in the beauty before him.

“Uh-huh.”

“So we can stay? Not gonna get ‘em handed to me am I?” He smirked.

Her gaze dropped from the sky.

“Huh? Oh, No. We can definitely stay, its beautiful out here.” She swung around like a child.

“It sure is.”

“Is that a guitar?”

He froze.

~~

“Someone told me long ago
There's a calm before the storm
I know
It's been coming for some time
When it's over so they say
It'll rain on a sunny day
I know
Shining down like water…”

“I wanna know
Have you ever seen the rain?
I wanna know
Have you ever seen the rain?”

Rupert paused, drew in a breath.

“…Comin’ down on a sunny day.”

~~

“Stupid meddlin’ da’.” Spike grumbled under his breath.

Buffy skipped over to the instrument lifting it with a delicate touch.

“SO what are you gonna play while I… stuff my gob as you so sweetly put it?” She smiled devilishly.

“I don’t… I can’t…” He hunted for an excuse, uncovering none.

“I guess you’re taking request then.” Buffy made herself comfortable on the cool tile. “Hmmm… a love song maybe…” Spike cringed. “Nope, not that cruel, maybe something…punk...” She giggled at the hopeful expression that elicited. “Nah, too loud…” His eagerness depleted. “How about an original tune?”

He searched her eyes for a long moment contemplating the situation, rolling her words over in his mind.

“What makes you think I write luv?” Voice cool and calm seeking out solace from the dilemma.

“Well, you are a walking contradiction… every time I think I know something about you… it changes… so I guess I figured since you sing, which is a shock unto itself, you might write.” She held his stare, pursuing the azure depths for hidden truths.

“You’re very perceptive.”

“Is this when you tell me ‘I’m very perceptive, just not right now’?” She rolled her eyes at his evasiveness.

“Nope.”

“So you’re gonna sing something you wrote?” Buffy could barely contain the anticipatory tingling racing through her veins.

“Nope.”

“Lose the cryptic already.” She demanded.

“Sorry. Not tonight, but in time luv, in time.”

She read the need and resolve in his deep blues.

“Fine… you can sing anything you want, or don’t. I don’t care… as long as I can start in on the yummy decadence, I’ll be good.” She held the guitar out for him, her other empty hand outstretched for the tray.

The trade went smoothly and they both sighed as the situated themselves against the pitch of the roof.

“Mmmmmm.” Buffy moaned in ecstasy as her lips slid over a smooth coated berry.

“You like?” Spike forced the words, almost chocking on his desire.

“Mmmm-Hmmmmm.”

“Keep that up and that won’t be the only thing makin’ you moan pet.” He warned in a low growl.

“Pig.” She managed between moans and chews.

“Look who’s talkin’.” He snorted playfully.

Buffy jutted out her swollen bottom lip, pouting hard.

“Look at that lip, gonna get it, gonna…” He leaned down slowly.

Buffy ducked away from his endeavour, rising to her feet in one swift motion.

“Hey?” a wounded expression flashed up at her.

“You’re it!” With that she darted for the opening in the roof, scurrying down the stairs- disappearing.

“You can run, but you can’t HIDE!” Spike hollered before storming off after her.

He stalked the length of the hallway leisurely, peering into each room as he passed. Slowing as he approached his own door.

“Should ‘ave left it open luv… maybe then you’d ‘ave had a…” He swung the door open freezing instantly when his eyes settled.

Buffy flushed, looking down at what she had discovered.

“You caught me?”

~




*A/N: The songs Giles sings are Behind Blue Eyes by The Who and Have you Ever Seen the Rain by CCR. Hope you liked! More date up next! Thanks for the reviews guys! PLease let me knoe what you think!*