Chapter 14: Take one for the team


“You caught me?” Buffy’s voice was laced with uncertainty.

“W-Where’d you get that?” Remaining stalk still he questioned.

“It caught the light, when I came in… it was tucked under your desk.” She took a step towards him, only to hesitate and loose her words.

‘First time in how many bloody days was it, and I had to tidy up today.’ Spike bowed his head, roughing his hair. ‘Well… at least I’ll have Gunn to crawl back to if this takes a nasty turn eh.’

He made his way across the space, sighing loudly as he dropped back onto his bed.

“Meet m’ mum.” The words rolled out smoothly like they flittered off his tongue everyday.

“She was beautiful.” Buffy gently took a seat beside him, setting the frame upright on his desk.

Spike jerked, muscles tightening at the casual use of past tense.

“Yeah, picture don’t do her justice.” He let out another long breath, fighting to remain calm and open, remembering Gunn’s words early that day.

“How long ago…” Buffy paused, hunting for the right phrase. “I mean, I heard that she… was gone, but when.”

“Four years.” In and out, he breathed.

“What happened?” Her voice sounded grave, she didn’t want to keep asking, but couldn’t seem to stop the words before they slipped from her lips.

“Just in the wrong place at the wrong time I reckon.” His hand covered his eyes, rubbing firmly.

“But what…”

“Look Buffy, I appreciate the sentiment, I do. But if it’s all the same, I’d like to change the subject, right.” He fidgeted awkwardly.

“Yeah, of course. I’m sorry I’m not usually so… pushy, but…” She took a steadying breath herself. “I just have one more question… if that’s alright I mean.”

Spike leaned on his elbows, finally lifting his eyes to hers, unspoken permission shining through.

“Does it…does what happened… have anything to do with why you don’t like being called William?” She held his stare bravely.

He let the air he had been unconsciously holding out in one long smooth breath, somewhat relieved she had moved the focus off of his mother, but surprised at the correlation she had made.

“What makes you think I don’t?” He tried for evasive.

“Well aside from you biting my head off the first, and only, time I made the mistake… you zoned big time when my mom made the uh-oh. You looked majorly wigged.”

When her return to character made him smile, lightly shaking his head, the mood instantly lightened, causing Buffy to take full advantage- stretching out comfortably along the other side of the bed.

“Yeah guess it does.” He reached up tucking a stray hair behind her ear, enjoying how comfortable he suddenly felt.

“So.” She leaned into his ministrations. “What was he like?”

~~

Time can bring you down,
Time can bend your knees.
Time can break your heart,
Have you begging please, begging please
…”

Giles sang out, passion and grief laden in his voice.

Beyond the door,
There's peace I'm sure,
And I know there'll be no more
Tears in heaven…


He sang to his Jenny.

Would you know my name…”

~~

“Come again pet?” He let his hand fall from her creamy skin.

“Well you’re Spike now, and with the affinity for all things black and the sexy dye job I’d have to say its a little more then just a name.” She blushed at the proud smirk he suddenly wore. “So I was just wondering what you were like… before.”

“Well for starters kitten I was 14, so before we go delving into the deep dark, lets take note of that resounding fact.” He loosened his tie, letting it hang usque.

“Note taken.” She stared expectantly.

“Right. I was ‘bout like I am now, minus the black, the bleach and the big bad attitude. Oh and the name, good ‘nough.”

“Not even.” She pushed him back by the shoulder, glaring and smiling simultaneously.

“You really want to know what I was like pet?”

She shook her head rapidly.

“You asked for it.” He flipped himself, rolling off the bed, momentarily disappearing beneath it.

“What on earth are you…”

He returned, box in hand.

“Said you wanted to know me…” The box shook the mattress when it fell. “So I thought I’d add a few props to the demo, yeah.” He smirked at her slightly confused and worried expression. “Don’t worry luv, I was a very good boy.” He winked.

“I’ll be the judge of that.” She pulled the box towards her.

“Hey! Believe I’m running this show and tell, no touching unless I say so.” He jerked the box away.

“Well now I know sharing wasn’t big on the list of personality traits.” She scoffed.

“Do you want to know or not?”

“Yes, I do.” She pouted.

“Then let m’ do the leading down memory lane.” He settled against the headboard reaching down gently dragging Buffy up to sit beside him.

“Fine, I’ll be good.” She smiled, cuddling into his shoulder.

He hit the lid off the aged box, rolling his eyes immediately.

Buffy stared at a photo of a young boy sitting on top of a bright red double-decker bus beside Mr. Giles. Realisation then sunk it.

“Oh, OH, this is you!” She giggled and snatched it up before Spike could hide it from her prying eyes.

“You make fun and this little tour is over!” He took a pass for the photo growling when it was shifted from his reach.

“I’m not teasing you, you’re just so… different.”

“Yeah well puberty will do that luv, I was 14, or have you already forgotten!” A hint of desperation mingled with his aggressive tone.

“Well if you stop being all grabby I could actually get a good look!” She nudged him playfully.

“I think you’ve looked plenty.” He grumbled, defeated.

Buffy brought the picture up for inspection, noting the soft curls and sliver framed glasses, the same bright blue eyes and then she let out a tiny gasp, his smile.

She had seen him smile, or rather smirk, over and over again. She had even had the pleasure of seeing what she believed was a true smile, it being bright and full, but nothing she had ever seen compared to this. His perfect face curved joyfully into the most brilliant of images, he was happy.

‘I’ve never really seen him smile.’ Her head spun at the acknowledgment.

“You ‘bout done there?” Spike grumbled in mild insecurity.

“Oh, yeah.” She snapped out of her daze, handing the photo back. “You were a cutey.”

“Were?” he playfully barked.

“Yep.” Plainly stated, her eyes danced with delight.

“Oh really?” He arched a brow. “That how it is now?”

“Uh-huh, you were a cutey.” She giggled at the low growl escaping him. “And now you’re a hottie.” She bit her lip, eyeing him.

The declaration paired with the lip action sent him over the edge, causing him to dive down onto her, initiating a zealous kiss.

They let their lips linger a moment before drifting apart.

“So what else you got in there?” Buffy’s curiosity was now in full gear.

“Pictures, journals, bits and pieces from school… just the usual crap parents don’t ‘ave the balls to toss.” He thumbed through the contents as he spoke.

“Whoa wait a second, did you say journals? Like a diary?” Shocked eyes gleamed as her smile curled to one side.

“Not bloody likely!” He howled. “I might not ‘ave been the big bad back then, but I didn’t sit ‘round writin’ ‘bout who gave it to who in the janitor’s closet and all that crap you chits scribble down!”

“Fine, then what did you write about?” She stared, a gleeful expression twinkling about her features.

“None of your business.” He covered the box with his arms. “A bloke’s entitled to a little privacy yeah.”

“Are your songs in there, you admitted earlier that you wrote songs.” She pried.

“Some yeah, but don’t go getting’ any ideas!”

“Who me? I’m idealess, promise.” Buffy batted innocent eyes as she cooed.

“Can’t fool me luv, I know your games.” He grumbled.

“I’m offended!” She teased. “You can keep your journals I don’t even want to see them.” She tipped her nose up. “But… what’s this!”

With that Buffy’s slender hand snapped down seizing the top object from the box, giggling crazily as his eyes widened in horror.

“You sneaky little…” He pushed the box off his lap readying himself for a tussle. “You’re gonna get it!”

“Eeeeep!” She squealed as he flipped on top- pinning her down, but not before she snuck a look at the thin paper gripped tightly between her fingers. “Oh my god!”

“What?”

“This is from last year!”

~



*A/N: And the evening continues... hope everyone enjoyed! If you did let me know! Reviews are love. thanks all!*