Chapter 16: Score Card

Spike ran down the school hallway, zipping by the occasional student, his feet clapped over the hard tile. He didn’t have much time. Monday’s were the worst. He had been late as usual that morning, which is why now at lunch hour, he was racing towards the cafeteria to steal a few minutes with Buffy. He had to hurry. His father had requested his presence in the library.

He clutched the frame of the double doors, swinging himself into the large canteen, pausing only a moment to confirm her location before continuing his trek.

“Hi Spike!” Willow was the first to notice his approach, smiling knowingly.

“Hey Red.” He nodded, taking a seat beside Buffy. “Hey you.”

“You’re out of breath?” Buffy arched a suspicious brow. “What, did you run all the way here?” She snorted.

“Yeah, pet, I sorta did.” He wheezed one last time.

“Hey man I know you’re into my sis and everything, but when you start huffing it to the caff, you have got to re-assess.” Xander pointed emphatically.

“What? Your sis ain’t good ‘nough for a bloke to want to hurry?” He spat the accusation.

“Whoa there bleachy, don’t go puttin’ words…”

“Stop!” Three heads snapped towards Buffy. “You guys are making me all headachy! You- you’re my brother, I know you love me, but that includes being nice to my boyfriend!” Buffy’s comment elicited a wide smirk from Spike, a look a shock from Xander. “And YOU!” She turned towards Spike. “Don’t antagonise my sibling, it isn’t nice!”

“He’s your boyfriend now, you think that’s…” Xander was cut off.

“Look whelp, can you put the criticisms on hold for a tick, I don’t have much time here?” Spike turned back to Buffy after he addressed her brother.

“You don’t?” Buffy half-pouted half-questioned.

“Da’ wants a word, sorry kitten.” His fingers laced with hers. “But I was thinkin’… after the game Wednesday, maybe we could…” He suddenly became very aware of the two staring faces, pleading eyes shifted towards Willow.

“What? Oh! Hey Xander will you, um… come with me to get a soda…” She tugged his sleeve to gain a firm hold of his attention. “I can never manage to get the flavour I…uh, want… slippery, slippery fingers.” Willow wiggled her digits for emphasis.

“Sure Will.” He smiled warmly before glaring a Spike. “Lead the way.”

Once they had gotten out of ear shot Spike let out a sigh and met Buffy’s amused gaze.

“What?” He played innocent.

“Nothing, it was just… cute. You got Willow all co-conspiring… you’re adorable.” She popped a grape into her mouth as she praised.

“First off I’m never cute…” He picked up a grape from her plate rolling it between two fingers gently. “And second… you’re the one that’s adorable.” He held the grape before her bubblegum tongue, noting the tightening in his jeans when she gobbled it up.

“So… what about Wednesday?” She smiled coyly.

“Right, was just wonderin’ if you’d fancy comin’ out with me is all. There’ll be food in it for you, promise.” He winked.

“Mmmm, bribery, my favourite.” She giggled. “You do know it’s an away game right?”

“Yeah, I’m aware.”

“Fine, then I guess it’s a date.” She blushed.

“Did you just make yourself blush luv?” His eyes widened, and his hard-on pressed even more painfully against his zipper.

She didn’t answer, just flushed further, a deep crimson hue adorning her creamy skin.

“Like I said, bloody adorable.” Spike leaned in, placing a chaste kiss on the tip of her nose. “See you later pet.”

“Later.”

~~

Rupert swiped the cloth over his glasses for the tenth time since entering the library. He had purposefully avoided speaking about his drunken stupor all of Saturday and to his dismay his son had somehow slept the better part of Sunday away. Which left now, he hadn’t wanted to do this at school. But needed to have a few words with his wayward offspring.

He began cleaning his glasses again, only stopping and replacing them to his nose when the swinging doors whooshed open.

“This better not be ‘bout me being late again ‘cause…”

“I can assure you it’s not.” Giles broke in.

The solemn expression on his father’s face troubled Spike.

“Let’s have it then?” Spike’s brow furrowed as he waited in anticipation.

“William, about the inexplicable state you found me in…”

“Oh… this is ‘bout your romp with ol’ J.D. eh.” His mood eased as he lifted himself onto a countertop. “Not to worry da’ not like I haven’t…” He lifted one eye up to his father, hoping he hadn’t noticed where that sentence was headed, he had.

“I assume this is another of those moments where I disregard whatever you’ve just said.”

“Somethin’ like that.”

“Done.” Giles plucked the specs from his face, tossing them onto his pile of books. “I am sorry about that night William, I really am. It becomes increasingly difficult with each passing year. I think perhaps we may need some outside assistance in dealing with your mother’s death.” It came out even easier then Giles had anticipated and the look of sheer horror that glared at him made him regret his approach.

“You’re pushin’ this on ME!” Spike propelled himself off the counter, landing with a resounding thud. “YOU! You’re the one who goes three sheets to the wind and looses his sack o’ marbles every year! Not ME!”

“That may be true, but you…”

“WHAT? I’m what da’! Bottlin’ up m’ anger!” He pushed a rather large stack of returned books to the ground. “This angry ‘nough for YOU!” He shook as he spoke.

“You need to let it go, we both do.”

“Let it go?” His eyes became slats and his voice lowered an octave. “I’ll never let it go.”

Spike turned and stormed from his father’s presence, unshed tears ablaze in his eyes.

“Thinks somethin’s wrong with ME!” Spike clenched his fists as he mumbled to himself. “Thinks I’m not dealin’… he has no bloody idea!” He burst through the nearest exit, keeping to the shadows he slumped down against the school’s stucco siding. “It was my FAULT! I’m dealin’ with THAT just fine! I do what I gotta do to make sure it don’t happen again… cause it can’t, it can’t happen again. It was my fault, it has to be my fault.”

He hid his face in his hands, his inaudible rant rolling off his tongue. When the piercing din singled the end of lunch he was rattled from his condition. Rising, he made his way through the parking lot and was gone.

~~

Buffy and Willow made there way to class, books in hand after the bell sounded.

“So tell me!” Willow had waited impatiently to finally have Buffy alone, now bursting with giddiness she shot straight to the point.

“Na-uh, no way! Not until you tell me what you and Xand did after I left the mall!” Buffy smiled wickedly as she asserted.

“Not fair! You’re being all authoritarian and demanding, just because it was all thanks to you that we were even together…” Willow sighed in defeat at the look of resolution and stern nod of Buffy’s head. “Fine…you win…it was so great!”

“I’m happy for you Will. But get with the juicy details before I have to force you to skip class to get tell-y.” Buffy laughed at the sudden look of terror that played on Willows face. “I’m just kidding, gee and I thought I was easy.” She scoffed.

“Don’t scare me like that!” Willow breathed with relief.

“Sorry… I’ll be good. Just skip to any smoochies or dire info and we’ll call it good for now.” Buffy arched a brow at the pink glow that now coloured Willows cheeks. “You tramp!”

“No, NO! Maybe a little, I mean no! Just a little smoochies action.” She bounced animatedly.

“All right Will!” Buffy nudged her friend playfully.

“Now what about you?” Willow wiggled her brows.

“I think this is gonna take longer then the thirty second until class starts.” Buffy bit her lip suggestively.

“Well, that’s why passing notes was invented.” Willow smiled proudly.

“Willow Rosenberg what would your mother say!?” Buffy teased.

With that both girls burst into laughter, muffling their amusement as they entered class. Pulling out a blank notepad Willow winked at Buffy eliciting a tiny smirk and pink tint to grace her cheeks. The teacher began to drone, Buffy accepted the paper as it slid over to her and began to write.

~

Spike stepped into the locker room just as Xander was rushing out to the field. He had spent the afternoon calming down and had managed to push it all away, returning to school for practice.

“Oh early today!” Xander quipped sarcastically. “Usually I miss you completely.”

“Everybody’s a bloody comedian.” Usually a low-blow comeback would have been more his style, but he just wasn’t in the mood.

“I’m flattered.” Xander mocked. “I’ll see you out there.”

“Right.”

Spike made hast in changing and soon was hurrying out towards the training room.

“Well ‘ello there cutey.” Spike sucked in his cheeks and smirked as the object of his affection spun around, face aglow.

“Hello!” Buffy bounded across the room and leapt into his arms, legs fastening around his waist.

“Look at you all full ‘f beans.” He began walking with her still attached.

“Just happy to see you.” She leaned back as they broke into the sunshine, enjoying the few moments left before they rounded the building and into the fields view. “So how was your afternoon Mr. Giles?” She enquired light-heartedly.

He deliberated for an instant, coming to a quick conclusion.

“Just got a whole lot better luv.” He held her waist firmly as she hopped down, waiting until she adjusted her clothing and looked up before tasting her once.

They walked together, paths diverting when they came to the edge of the grassy plain. Buffy taking to the sidelines while Spike rushed to centre field, joining warm-ups.

‘A whole lot better.’ Spike thought as he neared Angel’s blaring orders. ‘She didn’t need to know…’ He told himself. ‘After all, she’ll get to see what it was you were fidlin’ with all bloody afternoon anyway.’ He smiled widely. ‘Can’t wait to see her face… can’t wait.’

With that Spike hit the ground pushing up instantly, one after the other push-ups ticked away. He didn’t even need to pay attention to know Angel had demanded them, he always did.

~



*A/N: Thanks again to whomever nom'd this fic at the COH! *hugs* Hope everyone enjoyed! Please please please tell me what you think!*