Chapter 2: Positions

The alarm shattered the sleep bubble Buffy had been shrouded in throughout the night. Her eyes ran the expanse of her new room; she filled with a warm feeling.

“Brand new day,” the whispers were directed to her inner self, who happened to be spouting nervousness.

Buffy hurriedly finished up in the bathroom as to not aggravate the two cranky boys- mornings were none of there strong suits. She scrutinized herself in the mirror, her soft curls framed her face and she glowed from the little bits of shimmery make-up she had applied. Her tiny black skirt was just tight enough and her sheer white top clung to the white tank underneath. She slipped into her black sandals and smiled at her reflection.

“Hey Buff-ster looking good in a ‘Do you really think I’m gonna let you out of the house in that’ kinda way that is,” he jokingly chided her but an eyebrow raised all the same.

“Sorry Xand I know its hard for you to watch me become a woman…” she emphasized the last word in an overly playful tone.

“No, no, I did not just hear that, hello, brother here, you are not a woman you’re a girl, a very very little girl, tiny, like something very very small,” Xander had lost himself somewhere in his rant and had actually become a little emotional about the subject.

“It’s ok Xand…” she soothed him with her words walking over and giving him a tight squeeze, “I promise not to bend over.” She couldn’t help herself.

“BUFF! Wha… You… was I not just talking a minute ago, ‘Oh Xander, he’s not important I won’t even listen’,” Buffy began to walk away as he mimicked her voice, “Hey seriously not ok.” With that Buffy headed for the stairs, Xander following in mid rant.

“Ready for your first day squirt,” Angel smiled trying to reassure her.

“As I’ll ever be,” Buffy sighed with the statement.

“Then where’s your bag Buffy?” an arched brow asked her amused.

“Ok, so maybe ‘as I’ll ever be’ was a bit of a stretch but…” Buffy explained as Xander pushed her bag into her face, “SEE,” she corrected her tone to a more confident, “I totally planned that.” They all laughed as they made their way to the car.

~~

Angel dropped them off and drove away, eager to have some free time before practice. He let the warm California air wash over him as he drove with the top down. He had been reluctant to move back home after his accident but had little options at the time. Now with the move he was living in a converted basement and sometimes felt a little crowded. He put the car in park as he pulled up to the house on Revello.

“Honey I’m home,” he mocked to no one, but immediately realized how right it felt, ‘Yup’, he thought, ‘I’m definitely home’.

~~

Buffy fidgeted with her skirt as she followed her brother into the foreign school, her school. She was nervous.

“You ok Buff?” Xander looked down at his sister concerned, “Your not you usual perky self.” His smiled warmed her, easing her nerves.

“I- I’m fine, really, don’t look at me like that, I’m definitely in the fine club, promise.” she insisted.

“Riiiight cause I was born yesterday and can’t tell that something’s up,” he stopped walking and grabbed his sister’s hand squeezing it.

“I-I’m just a little nervous, I mean you’ve been here for three weeks already and…” just then a very handsome boy with a baldhead strode over, slapping Xander’s hand.

“Hey what’s up Summers, and who is this fine young lady you have here,” Charles Gunn’s statement came across more endearing then predatory which was reconfirmed when he took Buffy’s hand kissing it gently, “I’m Gunn.”

“This is my little sister Buffy, Buffy - Gunn is on the team, and usually is a little less blunt, at least I think he will be in the future,” Xander stated with a severely arched eyebrow and a glare.

“He will be,” Gunn replied to Xander’s request with a smile of understanding, “But really Buffy it was nice to meet you, I hope to see you at the games,” Xander opened his mouth to speak only to slam it shut again when Buffy smacked him and chimed in.

“I’m sure you will, it was nice meeting you Gunn,” as Gunn walked away Buffy’s gaze turned hard as she looked at her brother. “I’m not exactly your little sister and hello, haven’t even spoken to the coach about training with the team so don’t go and tell anyone ok.”

“Sorry Buff,” Xander mumbled defeated.

“Oh and that was my point, you already have friends, so I’m just a little nervous, but thanks to you that has been replaced with good old healthy rage,” her smile betrayed her statement.

“See I’m helping,” Xander held his sister in a quick hug before they headed to the head office for their schedules.

~~

The bell had rung a few minutes ago as Buffy hurried through the long hallways of Sunnydale High; her locker had given her trouble and had resulted in her lateness.

‘Great, on my first day,’ she berated herself as she scurried around a corner.

A tiny squeak left Buffy’s mouth as she came to a screeching halt next to a bleach blond who was parked just around the corner, nearly smashing into him. He was catching his breath in front of a door.

‘Well at least I found the room,’ Buffy commented to herself as she stared up at the room number above the door. As her gaze dropped she realized the blond was staring as her, an amused look playing on his lips.

“Well ‘ello pet,” Spike had made being tardy a regular occurrence but didn’t usually have the pleasure of meeting cute little birds as a result.

“H- Hello,” Buffy felt her face flush under his gaze. She couldn’t pull away from his sapphire eyes, unconsciously licking her lips as she memorized the contours of his face. She finally snapped out of her trance, her cheeks reddened even more, “We better get inside.”

“What’s your rush luv, I’m enjoying myself right here,” he bit his bottom lip leaning back slightly to take in all of her. Spike liked making her blush a little too much.

Suddenly the door to the room flew open with a snap almost striking Buffy. “William, get into the room now, I thought we spoke about you being tardy and how it might inadvertently affect your after school activities,” taking off his glasses Rupert Giles stroked his furrowed brow as he spoke.

“Ease off old man, I was just making sure the little girl got to class right and proper now, wasn’t I goldilocks?” Spike eyed the door his father was holding in front of the girl. ‘Bloody bint hadn’t said a word.’

Giles stepped around the door his gaze settling upon Buffy with a warm smile, “Ms. Summers I’m terribly sorry- I’ve been expecting you, if you’ll just find a seat I’ll be right with you.”

As Buffy slipped silently into the classroom Giles gaze returned to his troublesome son, “William, I feel the need to remind you that I’m not as incompetent and blind as you may believe, so keeping that in mind get in the bloody room and take a seat.”

“Yes da’,” Spike knew when not to push his father and now was one of those times. He reluctantly slid into the room smirking when he saw the golden hair and the seat next to it available. ‘I have a feeling this is going to be a bloody beautiful day.’

~~

Buffy hesitantly walked into the cafeteria scanning the crowd of high schoolers for her brother. Just as panic was about to set in she finally spotted Xander talking to a tiny redhead. She started towards the end of the cafeteria where her brother was seated when she was suddenly stopped by a strong arm; the blond from the morning quickly stepping in front of her. ‘William? Was that his name?’

“You weren’t thinking of sittin’ with anyone but me now were you luv?” His eyes wondering down towards the short skirt he had stared out for the better part of his fathers class. ‘Bloody hell she is something amazing. Wait? Amazing? What a poof,’ Spike sneered at himself as he caught his thoughts wondering towards his William half, his nancy-boy half as he called it.

“I actually have someone waiting for me William, but…” before Buffy could finish her thought she was cut off.

“It’s SPIKE,” he growled, “and it’s really ok pet, I can be quick,” he smirked with his words hoping to see the blush come to her cheeks.

“I have no doubt about that SPIKE, and the names not pet its Buffy,” she spat each syllable at him not being able to control this reaction he so easily brought out in her. As the last word passed over her lips she pivoted around him and marched away towards the sanctuary of her brother. ‘Why do all the cute ones have to be such jerks, and why does he have to be soooooooo cute.’ Buffy pouted as she moved through the crowd.

“Minx,” he muttered to himself as she left him alone, a smirk firmly planted on his lips. ‘That girl better be worth the soddin’ trouble’.

~~

“You must be Buffy!” Willow smiled the statement to the pretty blond who sat down next to Xander.

“The last time I checked- I was she,” nodding her head as she spoke she returned the redheads smile. ‘Seems like a nice girl I wonder what she’s doing with my brother,’ Buffy snorted to herself and smiled as she thought about her goofy sibling.

“I’m Willow, Xander was just telling me all about you, we had last period together and he was so funny, he was telling me you too are twins that’s so cool, I don’t have any siblings, and I’m doing that thing I do sometimes where I forget to breathe,’ Willow flushed with embarrassment as she caught the wide-eyed looks both Summers’ were giving her.

“Down girl, its ok we’re not on a meter here, and look…” Buffy pointed to Willow’s class schedule that was laid out in front of her, “We have all our afternoon classes together so much bonding time will be shared.”

“Ooooooh, I’m so in,” she chirped the words as excitement radiated from her.

“So Buff-ster I thought I saw you talking to someone, anyone I would have the desire to beat-up, but wouldn’t cause I’m a lover not a fighter?” he addressed the last part towards Willow for her information, a goofy smile written across his face.

“Oh just some jerk named Spike, no big.” She hissed his name. ‘Just some hot jerk named Spike, in his super sexy jerky way, stop it! He’s so not, NOT hot.’

“Well I hope he didn’t do anything unforgivable- bad because he’s the captain of the team and…” his words were stopped in mid air, his statement hung between them.

“He’s the captain, oh bad, bad to the 10th degree-bad,” she pouted and whined while Willow and Xander stared amused, “How can he be on the team? With the duster, and the hair and he smelled like smoke, he can’t possibly play?” Buffy questioned the possibility but knew her brother wouldn’t lie, plus she had noticed how his black shirt clung to his muscles underneath the duster.

“Look on the bright side Buff, you’ll definitely never be bored at practice.” He tried to look completely serious as he stated the irritating fact.

‘You got that right Xand,’ she thought with a tiny gleam in her eye, ‘I definitely wont be bored.’ At that she gave in to her thoughts and spent the remainder of lunch fixated on the blond that seemed to be getting under her skin in every way.

~