Chapter 22: Past Plays

Spike closed his door behind him as he entered his room late that night. Reddened raw eyes were the only reminder of the events that had unfolded hours before. He shed his clothing and crawled between the sheets. He couldn’t shake the memories the day had provided, or the memories it had drudged up. Exhaustion quickly took its toll and soon enough Spike was ripped from one grim reality to another.

He dreamt.

William strolled along side his mother, face buried in the book he had begged her to take him out to get.

“I see you’re happy now.” Jenny commented, a smirk playing on her lips.

“Yes quite!” He smiled brightly, pushing his glasses up and into place.

“You’re your father’s son that’s for sure.” She giggled. “Sometimes I’m convinced there isn’t even any of me in there.”

“Nonsense.”

“See what I mean.” Jenny swung her arm around her son’s neck, rubbing his hair furiously. “You’re allowed to by a kid William.”

“Mum!” He giggled. “Stop! You’re mussing my hair!”

“That’s it… I am taking you to America before it’s too late.” She laughed.

“Could we really go to America one day?” William asked hopefully as he patted down the wild curls.

“Of course silly, you didn’t think I was going to let you miss out on the joys of basketball and monster trucks did you?” Jenny squeezed him tight to her as they meandered down the darkened streets of London.

“Does da’ want to go to America?”

“One thing you have got to know learn about women William… is that we can be very persuasive.” She smiled devilishly before continuing. “I stole his glasses and refused to marry him one night until he promised we would move back home whenever I wanted.”

“Mum!” William chuckled.

“Oh he liked it!” She winked.

They turned a corner, making their way down an unlit alley that connected to their street.

“So mum…”

William was cut off when a sharp metallic object came crashing down from the shadows, striking him above the left eye. He crumbled to the ground momentarily unconscious.

“William!” Jenny cried, attempting to dive down to her boy, only to be driven back forcefully into a brick wall.

“Oh you are a pretty one.” The stranger’s breath crawled over Jenny’s skin. “This is gonna be fun.”

“Let me GO you piece of shit!” She bellowed, tears seeping from her eyes.

“Or what?” He laughed.

William stirred on the ground, his head rising- eyes focusing in on the scene playing out.

“Mum!?” He called in confusion, pain and desperation.

A heavy boot jolted out, connecting with William’s ribs, sending him skidding back across the gravelled earth.

“No, please! Leave him alone!” Jenny both demanded and begged, her eyes flashing to her bleeding son.

“Oh yeah, keep it comin’ sweetheart… I like it when you beg… come on scream for me!” A menacing arm swung up, striking her tear stricken cheek with a deafening blow.

Tears began to race down William’s face. He watched on helpless.

“You can have anything, just leave us alone!” Jenny pleaded.

“I know I can have anything.” His hand curled around her neck and began to constrict. “But this is so much fun.”

William shivered uncontrollably as he lay in the dark, thick blood pouring from his wound. When the culprit’s hand tightened around his mother’s throat he yearned to cry out, scream for help, but his body didn’t obey.

Jenny’s fingers clawed fiercely at the stifling grip, drawing blood with every swipe. Each second without breath the situation became grimmer until ultimately her appendages slipped away from the fight for good. Her eyes rolled back, whites reflecting the light of the moon. One word passed over her lips with her last strangled breath.

“William.”

Her lifeless body fell limp, hanging awkwardly in the stranger’s arms while he explored her form for valuables, taking what he desired. When through, he tossed her into the darkness, her bulk smacking the ground with a deep thud before he took off at a casual pace and was gone.

William drug himself closer to his mother’s corpse, trembling and shocked. He remained there for the hours until they were discovered, silent and still, never thinking of leaving her side.

~~

Buffy locked herself into her room that evening, seeking the sanctuary and solitude of her bed. She tossed and turned, tears still trickling from her puffy eyes. She couldn’t shake the feeling that she had done something wrong, something to drive Spike away. Rayne’s attack was difficult enough, but Spike leaving her was unbearable. She hadn’t felt so helpless, so violated and alone ever in her life. Well, maybe once.

She dreamt.

Buffy stood, arms folded across her chest, hip cocked out to one side, scowling at him.

“Please Summers, I know things have been rough, but I’ve missed you.” Ford’s voice was void of any real emotion as he stepped closer.

“Rough? You were a sucky boyfriend Ford! You didn’t ‘miss’ me when you were with Marcie so I’m thinking now… not so much!” She remained firm.

“I told you not to bring that up again!” He snatched up her arm. “You love me Summers, you love the way I make you feel.” Ford threw Buffy down onto the bed, making her instantly regret allowing him to lead her into the unfamiliar room to talk.

“The way you make me feel? That would be repulsed!” She bit out.

“That’s not what you said when I was inside you.” He crawled over the top of her, taking hold of her wrists.

“You mean the whole five minutes?”

“Bitch!” His head came crashing down onto hers, eliciting a loud snap before dizziness engulfed her.

“Let me go!” She managed.

“I’m going to teach you a lesson, going to make you understand. I need this, I need you!” A desperate quality entered his voice as he began hiking up her skirt.

“No!”

“Yes.”

Ford unzipped his pants with one hand, pinning Buffy down with the other. The throbbing beat of the music blaring from downstairs droned out her cries as he drove into her.

With each agonizing thrust Buffy shrieked and wailed in agony. Tears clouded her vision as Ford quickened his pace. The impact of his motions bruised her sensitive flesh, chaffing it raw.

As he neared his climax Ford pulled out of her abused heat, spilling his cum into the mattress.

“Fix your clothes.” He ordered as he tucked himself back into his jeans.

Buffy could barely move through the stinging hurt, but managed to straighten her garments.

“You’re mine Summers.” His voice was dark and possessive.

It rattled Buffy out of her feeble state. She lunged at him.

“I’m NOT yours! Never! Never!” She clawed at his face as they both toppled to the ground.

“You’re gonna pay for that.” Ford drew up a hand and as it connected with her face the door flew open.

“Buffy!” Angel’s voice called out, furious and desperate.

Xander pushed passed his brother and into the room, a moment later both boys’ eyes fixed on the scene and they charged.

Xander flew to his sister, collecting her shattered figure, immediately carrying her to safety.

Angel’s fist made contact with Ford’s jaw, flattening him onto his back. He kicked him in the stomach, taking the air from his lungs.

“You EVER…” He kicked him again. “TOUCH.” He took up Ford’s head only to slam it back down. “MY SISTER.” His knuckles broke the skin of the boy’s lip as they landed. “AGAIN!” He leaned in low. “They won’t find the body.” He belted him one last time before leaving, anguished moans echoing from the room.

He rushed down the stairs and from the house making his way to his car, to Buffy. When he opened the door to the back seat she was curled into Xander’s lap shaking. Angel crawled in beside them.

“Buffy?” He asked gently.

Xander shook his head in dismay when there was no reply.

“Buffy?” He tried again, reaching a hand out- touching her shoulder lightly.

“I’m sorry.” Her voice was barely a whisper.

“There is nothing to be sorry about.” Tears welled in his eyes. “What happened Buffy?”

When again there was no answer Xander broke in.

“Buff?” He tilted her chin up to look at him. “Tell me, do we need to go to the police?” His voice remained clam and soothing.

“N-No…” She began.

“But he hit you!” Angel’s anger flared again.

“P-Please… please Angel… I don’t want to go to the police. He won’t try anything again… and you… you guys will be there. I’ll stay with you, please… please I don’t want to go.” She cried, desperate to forget.

Tears spilt down both brothers' faces.

“Buff… did he… he didn’t…”

“No.” She lied.

“Promise me you two won’t say anything… to mom… to anyone.” Buffy begged.

“Buffy…” Angel began.

“Promise!” She shrieked.

“Whatever you want squirt.” Angel conceded.

“Can we go home?”

“Yeah, of course.”

Buffy stayed in Xander’s lap, snuggling into the safety and warmth of his embrace. She wiped the tears from her eyes, taking deep breaths to steady herself, never saying a word about the full extent of that night.

~





A/N: Well... now you know. Hope you liked. Please let me know what you think!