Chapter 24: Time Out

Buffy sat beside Willow in the far stacks of the library, relieved Mr. Giles had declared today a study day, excusing them from class. Desperate to avoid Spike and any further rejection, she happily accepted the time alone with her friend. She trusted Willow and found comfort in opening up to her.

“Buffy, not to sound like a broken record here, but…” Willow scrunched up her face and pursed her lips. “Coach Rayne is sick and well, I think he needs to face some consequences. The locked away to rot, making special friends with his cell mate kind of consequences.”

Wiping away the last of her tears, Buffy arched a partially amused partially shocked brow at her friend.

“I’m just saying.” Willow concluded.

“I know Will.” She sighed, kicking her legs out across the isle. “And believe me I’m all for the rotting. I just… would rather no one else find out…and getting chatty with the police, not so much with the keeping secrets.”

“Buffy you did nothing wrong, you don’t have to keep this a secret!” Willow raised her voice, only to cower and lower it again upon remembering where she was.

“It’s not about that.” She hung her head. “It’s not about me… it’s about everyone else. My family, my brother’s… it would kill them.”

“Do you really believe that Buffy? Don’t you think they would want you to be safe, and for him to pay?” She placed an encouraging hand upon the blonde’s shoulder.

“See Logical Buffy knows you’re right, but unfortunately right now Slow- Irrational Buffy is hogging Buffy brain.” She chewed her bottom lip.

“You are not slow!” Willow chided.

“Right now? Yeah I’d say I’m pretty slow Will. I definitely missed something with Spike… I’m whole worlds behind.”

“Maybe you didn’t exactly miss something. Maybe you weren’t even given a chance to?” She shrugged sympathetically.

“Well what am I suppose to do, read his mind! If he would rather push me away then let me in then that’s his deal.” Buffy huffed.

“Right because you let him in.”

“Right. Wait.” She pouted her lips. “I… this is different, it’s personal.” Guilt washed over her face.

“My guess? Spike’s deal… is personal.”

Buffy wrung her hands together nervously.

“He broke up with me. I can’t do anything about it… I mean, there’s a chance he meant everything he said, and in that case he’s not so big on the Buffy love, so I can’t…” She trailed off staring down at her lap. “Maybe we both just need a little time.”

“I’m sure that’s it. And after a little time-out I’ll bet he’ll come to you, not that what he’s done is completely excusable… but maybe forgivable?” Willow tilted her head, searching Buffy for confirmation.

“Maybe.”

~~

Spike closed his eyes and let the autumn sun warm his skin as he leaned up against the hot metal of his car. He had dealt with Buffy’s avoidance throughout the morning and now, at lunch, he wanted a break from the world. No Buffy, no trying to make amends, no worries, just him, the sun and…

“Hey man, thought I’d find you out here.” Gunn strolled up, hands in his pockets.

Spike’s heavy lids lifted, deep blues gazing at his approaching friend.

“You’re blockin’ m’ sun.” His tone was snide yet comical.

“Believe me bro, I’m doing you a favour. Don’t think sun’s your thing.” He winked.

Spike snorted in response, arching a brow.

“So mate… what’s up?”

“Somethin’s gotta be up?” Gunn mocked hurt, placing a hand across his chest.

“Don’t think you’re here for a snuggle that’s for bloody sure. So… what’s up?” Spike crossed his arms over his chest.

“Oh nothing much…” He paused, a smile growing over his face. “We just happen to be invited to play in the LA Premiere Cup this weekend! Whole team’s movin’ out crack of dawn tomorrow morning.” He beamed.

“The whole team?”

“Yup.”

“Is going to LA?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Together?”

“Yeah man, and try not to sound so enthused.”

“We need to talk.” Spike rubbed his eyes in frustration.

“About?”

“Buffy.”

~~

“Hey Buff!” Xander threw himself down beside his sister at the lunch table.

“Hey.” Buffy’s reply was strained.

“Where’s Will?” He snapped his head back and forth searching for the redhead.

“You can relax Xand, she just went to get a drink.” She eyed him with amusement.

“My thirsty girl.” He laughed. “So anyway, you wont believe what’s happened!” He bounced.

“So spill!”

“We’re going to LA! The team gets to compete in the LA Premiere Cup!”

“Oh my God!” Buffy squealed in excitement. “Xand that’s totally…” Her expression became grim, her tone losing its jubilance. “Bad.”

~~

“You’re an even bigger idiot then I thought bro!” Gunn shook his head in dismay as they made their way back into the building.

“I’m aware.” Spike admitted.

“No man, I mean BIG idiot. We’re talkin’ chews on his own hair, isn’t capable of human speech, tell me about the rabbits stupid!”

“I KNOW!” He growled.

“Okay, just as long as you understand what a complete screw up you really are.”

“Yeah.” Pain was evident in his voice.

“You’re stupid…” He paused, continuing after Spike’s hurt eyes met his own. “But you’re also lucky, I’m sure she’ll hear you out.”

“Maybe.”

~~

Buffy entered the training room with Angel, having waited in the parking lot for him after the last bell. She had no intention of ever being caught alone with Coach Rayne again. She set her bag aside and hopped up onto the training bench.

“So Xand told me about LA.” Buffy began.

“Yeah? Isn’t it great!” Angel shuffled through release forms as he spoke.

“Yeah… great.” She faked enthusiasm, raising her brows. “When do you leave?” She fidgeted, waiting for his reply.

“We leave at 5am.” He looked up, noticing Buffy’s crushed expression. “Don’t worry squirt… you and Xand are riding with me. You won’t have to be on a bus for three hours.” He gave her a squeeze.

“Oh… great.” She blew out a long breath.

“Somethin’ wrong kiddo?”

“No… I’m fine, just a little wigged about going back to LA, and then there’s the whole Spike thing and a weekend away just sounds, well, wig worthy.”

“Sorry Buffy. You don’t have to go, but it would mean a lot. And we do need you, you know that right?” His tone indicated something deeper.

“I know.” She nodded in acceptance.

“Well…” He gathered up his paperwork. “I got quite a job on my hands if this team is gonna have a chance tomorrow.” He turned and headed out the door.

“WAI…” Buffy didn’t want to be alone, but she bit back her protest as Spike appeared in the doorway.

“Do you want me to chase him down… don’t think he heard you luv.” Spike stared at the ground as he spoke gently.

“N-No…” She shook her head. “It’s fine.”

Spike didn’t say another word, just stood there, head rising until he was looking Buffy in the eyes.

She held his gaze for a moment, until uneasiness set in, causing her to look away.

“Did you want something?” Her voice was light and breathy.

“Uh, yeah.” He moved closer to her, lifting his bandaged hand into view.

“What did you do?” Buffy scooped up the wounded appendage, noticing the blood seeping through.

“This?” He played coy for a moment, rubbing the back of his neck with his free hand.

Buffy shot him a quick glare. “Yeah this.”

“Right… got into it with da’ this morning.” He looked away as she began to change the dressing. “Punched a bloody wall.”

Buffy hissed as she began to rinse the broken flesh, wincing at the mangled damage.

“It looks awful.” She mumbled.

“You should see the wall.” He let a mild smirk form.

Buffy looked up from her work, smiling slightly.

“Buffy, about what happened…”

“Stop!” She cut in. “If what you’re going to say is just some lame attempt at an excuse or apology I don’t want to here it.”

“It’s not. I was… I want to explain. …”

“Spike.” She took a deep breath. “I want to let you.” She had to look away when a smile crept over his lips. “Just not yet.”

He hung his head for a moment, before straightening, clearing his throat.

“That’s somethin’.”

“It is.”

~



A/N: Only seven more chaps left... stick with me! Daily updates until they're all up! Please, please, please let me know what you think!