Chapter 26: Insult for Injuries

“Miss me?” Ford took a step forward, closing the distance between them.

Buffy remained silent, fear stealing away her breath.

“Oh come on Summers… don’t I get a hello?” He moved closer yet.

She flinched. “No. Leave me alone Ford.” She shivered.

“Or what?”

“My brothers…”

“Hold a hell of a grudge that’s for sure. But then again… so do I.” His voice turned cold as he swallowed the remaining space, coming to halt just inches from her frame.

“If you know what’s good for you… you’ll Leave. Me. Alone!” She emphasised the last few words.

“Easy Summers, I’m just here to talk.”

“You expect me to believe that.” Buffy spat back.

“No. But it was worth a try.” With that Ford’s arms shot out, taking her by the shoulders he crashed his mouth to hers.

~~

Spike’s feet nearly slipped out from under him as he attempted to stop his sprint instantaneously. He had broken away from the celebratory mass moments before, immediately taking off towards Buffy.

He was still a ways away when he caught sight of the girl in question, lips planted securely on the unknown.

“Bloody hell.” It came out a strangled whimper. “Needs time does she?” He scoffed before pivoting, heading off in the opposite direction.

~~

Buffy’s leg jolted out, striking Ford in the shin, causing the desired effect of breaking the embrace.

“You’re sick!” She spat, wiping her mouth.

“Says the former lover. What does that make you?

“Infected.” Her eyes became slits as she bit out the word.

Ford opened his mouth to respond, but nothing made it out before he was tackled to the ground in a flash.

Xander smashed into him with brutal force, causing both to cascade to the earth in a flurry of arms and legs.

They broke apart upon contact, scurrying to their feet in a rush.

“Lucky girl always has someone to save the day.” Ford snapped at Buffy.

“Don’t even look at my sister!” Xander screeched lunging for Ford again.

Ford’s fist shot out in retaliation, hitting Xander’s left eye with a jarring impact.

“OWE!” Xander shrieked, only to ball up his own fist and shoot back, catching Ford across the jaw.

Ford fell backwards not expecting a return blow, and into Angel’s arms.

“Remember me?” Angel asked, lifting slightly before dropping the boy down onto his raised knee.

Ford squealed in pain.

“Xander?” Angel held Ford by the neck as he addressed his family. “Get Buffy to my car, wait for me there. I shouldn’t be too long.”

“Right.” Xander whined, clutching at his swelling eye as he and Buffy took off as directed.

“Do you remember what I said to you last time Ford?” He waited for fear to flash across the boy’s face. “Don’t worry, I’ll make it quick.”

~~

An hour later Angel’s car pulled up behind the already emptied bus in front of the hotel. The three siblings had driven in silence, Buffy worrying her bottom lip, Xander cupping his injured eye, and Angel nursing his bruised knuckles as he drove.

As Angel killed the engine Buffy instantly moved to exit the vehicle.

“Buffy?” Angel began.

“We’ll talk later. I promise.” She replied before escaping.

“So… did you really kill him?” Xander questioned half-seriously.

“Close enough. Beat him almost unconscious, drug him over to one of the goals, stripped him naked and tied him to the net.” He answered matter-of-factly.

“Cool.”

~~

Buffy meandered across the open area in front of the hotel, breathing deeply. As she made her way past the bus she jumped, the sound of someone’s feet hitting the pavement startling her. She turned, moving around to examine the source of the noise.

“Spike?”

Her voice caused him to stumble, almost dropping the bag he carried. His surprised expression quickly turned to one of contempt.

“What are you doing here goldilocks? Thought you’d be with your new boy-toy.” It took all his effort to mask his hurt with anger.

“What?”

“You heard me. Look kitten, when you said ‘not yet’ you should have just told me you wanted a quick roll in the hay with another bloke, cause seconds… aren’t really my thing.”

“Why are you saying this?” Tears began to fall from her eyes, as she stood stunned.

He ignored her.

“But it’s not really seconds if I had you first… it’s more like thirds… boy you do get around.”

Buffy stalked forward, lifted her arm, and pulled it back letting loose.

“Bloody HELL!” His hands flew to his nose.

Tears streaming down her face she fled, not stopping, not looking back.

~~

After taking his bag up to his room Spike rummaged around, searching for some ice for the throbbing pain in his face. Finding none in his room, he ventured down to the lobby.

Scanning the area he quickly found the customer service counter, sighing with relief he made his approach. Not noticing the two brothers advancing from the opposite direction.

“Ice.” Three voices chimed in unison.

Three eyes snapped over to Spike curiously, he returned the confused stare.

“Excuse me?” The mousy blonde behind the counter whined.

“Oh…uh…” Angel turned towards the attendant, only to glance back at Spike. “Three… ice packs please.”

“Riiiight.” She arched a brow, gaze travelling over each wounded boy before leaving to retrieve the requested items.

They continued to stare at one another, silently waiting.

“Just leave them in your room when you check out…” She returned, dispensing the ice packs. “We’ll take care of it.”

“Thanks.” Angel answered for the group.

The brothers started off, making their way over to the sofas in the corner of the lobby. Angel turned, gesturing for Spike to follow.

“So… not that I really care, but what happened to you? Because if you were jumped by the other team, I’d be obligated to do something.” Angel enquired, hissing as he placed the cool comfort onto his mangled hand.

“Thanks for your concern, really.” Spike carefully leaned the ice against his blackening nose, muffling his speech. “But this… is your sisters handy work.”

“All right Bu- AHH!” Xander winced in pain as he roughly smacked the icy bag onto his eye.

Spike glared over the plastic edge of his pack.

“Hey, I’m not supporting violence here, but if my sis wants to go all Xena on someone… I say, more power to her.” Xander tilted his head awkwardly as he spoke, looking at Spike through his one exposed eye.

“Yeah well I probably deserved it anyhow, I was a right wanker- Buffy can date whoever she bloody wants.” He hung his head, evading eye contact.

“So you tried to get her back and she turned you down huh? Tough break, I for one thought…” Xander was cut off.

“Get her back?! How the hell would I have a chance to do that when she’s snoggin’ everybody and their bloody brother?” Spike pulled the ice from his face, becoming angry.

“Wait a minute. What’s Buffy doing with someone’s brother?” Angel asked.

“Feminine chap… ‘bout yeh high.” He held his hand up. “Engaged in quite the public display after the game.” Spike nodded his head for comprehension.

“Oh you mean Ford!” Xander pointed triumphantly, finally putting two and two together before freezing, letting the ice pack fall from his eye. “Oh boy you’re an idiot.”

“Hey!” Spike growled only to be struck in the shoulder by Angel with a bruising force.

“Listen here boy and listen carefully…our injuries in no-way compare to what I did to that piece of shit, so when I ask you to tell me what you said to my sister, you better pray it’s not that bad.” Angel seethed with fury.

“Wait? You… she’s not?” Spike leaned back, confusion and regret pulsing through him.

“I’m asking the questions here and I’m waiting on an answer.” Angel spat.

Spike’s eyes grew wide. “I…uh… bloody hell I told her she gets ‘round!” His face fell into his hands. “I never, Jesus I…I just…” He sucked in a deep breath. “I was hurt.” He mumbled.

Angel’s expression softened slightly.

“You know… you might be the stupidest guy in the entire world, but at least you don’t mean to hurt my sister. If you kept your mouth shut, didn’t say anything at all, and didn’t touch her, I actually wouldn’t mind you too much.” Angel confessed.

Spike’s stunned eyes met Angel’s.

“But I…”

“Listen… I’m probably going to regret this, especially if my sister isn’t in a forgiving mood, but that guy, the one you saw her with, attacked her a year or so back. He showed up today and, well, you saw just how friendly he got.” Angel shook his head.

“For fuck sake, not again!” Spike’s eyes clouded over with images of Buffy’s altercation with Rayne.

“Yeah.” Xander chimed in. “We couldn’t believe he came back either.”

Spike stood, thoughts racing through his mind.

“I…I gotta go.” Spike spun around to leave, head turning back when he was caught by a firm grip.

“This doesn’t mean I like you.” Angel grumbled.

“I…”

“I know, go already.”

~~

Buffy lay, sprawled out across the scratchy comforter in her hotel room, wiping her eyes. She brought the wad of tissues up to her face, blotting roughly as she continued to sniffle.

‘My life sucks.' She thought. 'Sucky sucky life.’

A light knocking at the door interrupted her wallowing, causing her to wiggle her way off the bed.

‘If it’s my brothers I’ll tell then I’m tired. If it’s Spike I’ll tell him to go to hell.’

She wiped her eyes one last time before pulling the door open halfway, intent on proclaiming her position.

“Buffy.”

~



A/N: Look *ducks flying objects* I am well aware Spike was a douche again... he is man... or boy rather... it happens... I hope his talk with the brother's softened that blow... stick with me... we are four chaps away plus an epilogue! Please leave a review!