Chapter 27: Playing Dirty

“Buffy.” Rayne hit the door with a jarring force, sending Buffy reeling backwards as it flung open entirely. “Such an awkward name isn’t it.”

She drew herself up onto her knees and hurriedly crawled for the exit, failing however, when Ethan’s leg connected with her shoulder, sending her cascading back once more.

“Such an awkward name for an awkward girl. Didn’t anyone ever tell you it isn’t proper to play with boys?” He tsked.

Buffy crab-crawled back until she hit the edge of the bed, using it as leverage she climbed to her feet. She stood, fear and pain glistening in her eyes.

“What? No one here to save you this time?” Rayne purred sadistically.

His words sparked something within Buffy, something that had always been there, but had been pushed aside, forgotten.

“You know… the whole British accent, proper this proper that thing is really cutting down on the affect here. Believe me… you’re striking fear into no one.” She cocked a hip to one side as she spat her insult.

“You little Bitch! I’ll show you the meaning of fear!” He stalked forward.

“What? By approaching me to death? What ever will I do?” She mocked him, circling away.

“You’ll scream… yes… there will be a lot of screaming.” Rayne lunged at her then, eliciting a shriek of surprise from Buffy as they hit the ground.

“You were lucky…” Buffy cried as she struggled against him.

“Yes? How’s that?” He questioned as he immobilised her beneath his weight, pinning her hands at the wrists.

“I… and I plead temporary insanity on this one…” She fought, legs kicking “Spared you twice….” She paused. “It won’t happen again!” With that her head smacked his with a surprising impact, causing him to release his grip briefly.

Her hand came up to caress the now throbbing bump forming, before attacking Ethan with vigour.

“You’re going to pay! You hear me!” She clawed and kicked at him, gaining a little more freedom which each endeavour.

Rayne shook his head, regaining his bearings.

“You…. are going to regret that.” He took hold of her by the hair only to slam her skull into the thinly carpeted floor.

She made no sound, eyes rolling back instantly.

~~

Spike bounced nervously, willing the elevator to hurry its accent.

‘Should have taken the bloody stairs.’

~~

Ethan leaned back onto his heels, straddling the prone, lifeless form beneath him.

“Told you, you would regret that.” He cuffed his sleeves casually as he added the dark comment.

“And now… now you’re going to get what you deserve.”

He finished adjusting his dishevelled figure, cuffing and smoothing everything back to his twisted idea of normality before reaching down with shaking hands. He began to unbutton Buffy’s blouse, compulsive chaos shining wildly in his eyes.

“Not fighting me now, are you.” He hummed, licking his lips. “Never again. Not after you’re mine.”

Upon freeing the last of the buttons he pulled the garment off in a violent gesture, immediately pawing over her ivory flesh.

“Will you look at that… all creamy and good to eat.” He cooed manically.

“I’m…”

Sudden rapping at the door caused Rayne to stiffen, hands reflexively melding over Buffy’s mouth.

“Buffy?”

~~

Spike placed hands on either side of the doorframe, lowering his head.

“Please Buffy… open up luv.” His voice came out strained. “I know I’ll never be able to make it up to you. And I don’t deserve anything from you, but… I… I didn’t know.” He sighed with frustration, his hand lowering on reflex to try the knob.

Hope flashed in his eyes.

“Look pet… you can hit me all you want, break my bloody nose if it makes you happy, but I need to talk to you. I’m coming in…”

He pushed the door opened slowly, peering in cautiously. He took an abrupt step forward, eyes taking in Buffy’s limp figure lying near the bed.

“BUF…” He flew back into the hallway as the door swung in on him, brutally connecting with his left side.

It creaked back open and there stood Ethan Rayne, smirking.

Spike’s eyes flashed from Buffy to Rayne, the scene playing out familiar somehow. His hand rose unconsciously, cupping his left eye. He wheezed, breath being stole from his lungs.

“Pathetic.” Ethan spat.

Spike’s eyes snapped up in pure piercing hatred. He rose to his feet silently, advancing forward until Ethan flinched.

“Yeah.” Spike nodded angrily. “I’m pathetic.”

Ethan hit the ground with a resonant thud, blood gushing from his broken nose.

“Ain’t it a bitch?”

Ethan scrambled to his feet, wiping the flowing ambrosia from his face, spitting it from his mouth.

“I am…” He began.

“You…” Spike closed the gap between them. “Are going to pay.”

The uppercut slammed into Rayne’s gut, taking him by surprise.

“Over and over again.” Spike continued. “And after that…” He kicked the kneeling man in the jaw. “You’ll pay some more.”

Spike neared Ethan once more, only to be assailed by a sweeping leg. He crumpled to the ground, clutching his stricken appendages in agony.

“Little boys, playing men… that’s all you are… all of you. You are truly pathetic.” Rayne hissed, foot catching Spike under the chin.

Spike shook off the dizziness.

“Say what you want you bloody wanker… you won’t touch the girl.” He growled.

“Oh I’m fairly certain you’re wrong about that.”

“You’re right.” Spike crept back, Ethan following inch by inch. “I couldn’t take you in a fair fight.” He continued his venture.

“Submitting so easily? Pathetic was an understatement.” He scoffed.

“Not submitting.” Spike stopped. “Cheating.”

In a flurry Spike’s arm struck out grabbing the base of the floor lamp he was now beside, swinging it with all his valour it ploughed into the side of Rayne’s head.

“I said fair fight.” Spike bit out as he rose.

Spike’s angle on the ground hadn’t yielded the maximum impact, allowing Rayne to sustain consciousness, barely.

“You little shit.” Ethan whispered, grasping at anything for stability.

“Now get the hell out of HERE.” Spike howled, pointing to the doorway. “Out of this room, out of this hotel, out of this city!”

Rayne half-crawled half-stumbled towards the exit.

“Rayne?” Spike voice boomed, causing Ethan to halt. “Don’t go too far. People are going to be looking for you… I’m sure of it.”

With that Ethan dove for the door, pulled it open and was gone.

Spike sighed, running his hands through his hair, overwhelmed for a moment. A second passed before he turned his attention to Buffy, swooping down to her still immobile figure.

“Buffy luv… “ He prompted, eyes welling with tears as he cradled her head.

He lifted her then, placing her gently onto the bed. Looking around frantically he rushed into the bathroom, wetting a cloth quickly, he returned to her side.

“I’m never leaving you alone again.” He whispered, running the damp material over her face. “Bloody wanker magnet you are.”

He returned to the bathroom, re-wetting the cloth, wringing it out well before heading back to his girl. He wiped it over her eyes with thoughtful care. Sliding onto the bed himself, he slipped her head onto his lap, holding her close. He revelled in the steady rise and fall of her chest, focusing intently on that alone.

“Come on baby.” He coxed.

Continuing his ministrations and murmurings, he waited, hoping she would wake soon enough. As time ticked on his eyes slid closed, the stress of the day taking its toll.

“Come on pet… wake up.” He yawned once, his whispers weakening. “Wake up, need you.” He stretched, sinking down into the mattress. “Need you so much… love you.” It trickled off his lips.

The slight movement went unnoticed; his eyes only snapping open after the sweet sound reached his ears.

“Spike?”

~



A/N: *deep breath* Hope you all liked. Stick around for the resolution... four more chapters left. Please PLEASE let me know what you thought!


Chapter End Notes:
Most wonderful banner ever made by the lovely midnite_holic! thanks again love!