Chapter 28: Practice makes perfect

“Spike?” Buffy’s eyes fluttered open as his name left her lips.

“Buffy? Buffy!” Spike snapped up, realisation hitting him.

“Owwwe!” She cried, his sudden movements having jarred her pulsing head.

“Sorry! Sorry kitten!” He stilled his motions, instead helping to ease her up.

“It’s fine, I’m fine, I just…” She froze, arm heading for her neck halting in mid-air, fear flashing in her eyes. “Oh God!” Her gaze flew down towards her barely covered torso, then back to Spike.

“Sorry.” He turned away, mentally cursing himself for not having thought to cover her.

Buffy scrambled for something to hide her exposed midriff.

“Here I’ll get it luv.” Spike offered, pushing off the bed to quickly gather her blouse. “Sorry.”

“Stop apologising!” She took the presented garment. “It wasn’t like you…” She stopped. “Spike?”

“Yeah pet?” He looked her way once more.

“What are you doing here?” Confusion and helplessness clouded her glistening emeralds.

“That… right.” His hand massaged the nape of his neck. “I… uh… I thought I’d stop by, you know…”

“No I don’t know!” She was becoming angry, overwhelmed. “I’ll tell you what I know! I know that you were the king of all jerks, I hit you, came up here to be alone, which in my life is always a swell idea, and then Coach Rayne…” She began to shake as tears broke free down her face.

“Shhhhhh, easy luv.” Spike dove back to the bed, taking her face in between his palms. “I came here… I wanted to apologise…”

Buffy tried to look away in a huff, but failed when Spike’s grip tightened ever so gently, bringing her eyes back to his.

“I needed to apologise.” His voice held such conviction. “I had no idea what I was sayin’, not a bloody clue.” He drew in a breath. “I’m tired of being such a wanker though, I can tell you that much.” He let his hands drop from her face with a deep sigh.

“W-What happened…?” Buffy wiped her eyes, trying to steady herself. “Once you….”

“Took care of it is all.” Spike hung his head, avoiding her gaze. “Couldn’t do much, with you all unconscious and what not, but he’s gone for now.” He shook his head in frustration. “Wanker’s gonna get what’s coming to him though… promise me Buffy.” Suddenly Spike’s azure depths were fixated upon her.

“Spike I…”

“No excuses Buffy! What he did… what he could have done!” Spike groaned in exasperation. “You’re going to the police if I have to drag you there my….”

“Alright.” It came out in a whisper.

“What?” His brow furrowed in disbelief.

“Yeah, I’ll go to the police… and you don’t have to drag me.” A minute smile flickered briefly across her lips.

Spike smiled a genuine smile then, one that took Buffy’s breath away.

“Spike.” She gasped.

“What? What is it luv?” His smile faded, replaced with an expression of worry.

“You smiled.” She sounded amazed.

“Yeeeeah, tend to do that from time to time pet.” His lips pulled to one side, the beginnings of a smirk.

“I know, I just…” She tilted her head, studying him. “You seem… happy.”

“Well if that prick is gonna get it and you’re even talkin’ to me right now I’d say things are lookin’ up luv.” He gently tucked a few wild hairs behind her ear.

“That’s not it… something’s… different.” Buffy blushed at the intimate contact as she spoke.

“You’re not wrong ‘bout that.” His hand lingered on her face.

Buffy’s expression changed, brow creasing in contemplation until her eyes snapped to his in recognition.

“You love me?!” It flew from her mouth.

Spike choked. “Do not. I mean… I didn’t… yooooou…” He pointed a finger at her in frustration, only to sigh and drop it to his side. “Bugger…yeah… love you t’ pieces, love you so bloody much I can’t see straight, you’re all I think ‘bout, dream ‘bout. You’re everything.”

Buffy’s arm struck out, connecting with his shoulder with all her might.

“OWE! Bloody hell woman! What was that for?!” He howled.

“You broke up with me!” She huffed.

“And I’m sure I’ll be spending a lifetime makin’ it up to you! But ease off with the violence!” He rubbed his shoulder.

“You’re a confident one! What makes you think I’m going to let you make it up to me!”

“Not given’ you a bloody choice!”

“OH that’s…”

Spike dove then, devouring her lips with his own, body engulfing hers. The kiss was desperate and needy as they duelled in passion. Melding together in a dance until they broke apart, panting deeply, forehead to forehead.

“S-Spike…” Buffy was the first to speak, her voice husky and low. “What you saw…”

“Shhhh pet, it’s okay.” Spike soothed. “Your brothers filled me in.”

“Oh good cause…” She tore herself away abruptly. “My brother’s told you?!”

“Calm down kitten. They had your best interests at mind.”

“Yeah, and what would that be?!”

“Me.”

Her expression softened once more, a slight smirk playing on her lips.

“We are talking about the same brothers here right? Big guy… sulky… stupid hair, has an idiot side kick… also known as brother two.”

“Cute… and yes that’s them… tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber.”

“Hey!” She smacked him half-heartedly.

“What? You can insult them and I can’t!”

“That’s right! Insulting rights are reserved for family members only!” She nodded deliberately, jutting her bottom lip out.

“Ohhhh, missed that lip, missed it so…” Spike purred crawling towards her.

“Ah-ah-ah!” She put her hand out, stalling him. “First I’ve got a question.”

“Anything luv, want to know how much I love you? How beautiful you are? How I’m going to make this all up to you? Anything kitten, tell me, tell me what you want.” He cooed seductively trailing kisses over her outstretched arm.

“Mmmmmm.” Her eyes drifted closed for a moment, only to pop open upon remembering her enquiry. “Spike?”

“Mmmm-hmmm.” He continued his ministrations.

“Why’d you break up with me?”

~~

“Shouldn’t we check on Buffy?” Angel asked, pausing out side he and Xander’s door.

“My vote? A resounding no. I think she needs a little space right now. Plus you kinda sent Spike in there fully loaded with classified info, and depending on how well that went… you could be facing one hell of a pissed-a-palooza.” Xander gestured flamboyantly as he spoke.

“Right. Morning’s good.”

“That’s what I’m sayin’.”

“So sleep now…”

“…Buffy later.” Xander finished.

“Okay.” Angel opened the door with a flick of his card key. “Night Xand.”

“Night.”

They climbed into their respective beds silently.

“Not gonna be able to sleep now huh?” Xander questioned after a long moment.

“Not a chance.”

~~

“I’m so sorry.” Buffy lifted his chin up, looking him in his glistening depths. “You could have told me, you can tell me anything.”

“I know…” Spike sighed, long and deep. “I was just so use to pushin’ it away… wasn’t you luv… I didn’t want to deal.”

“I don’t want you to ever feel like you have to save me Spike. You feeling all responsible for everyone you know is something you’ll have to work on, but me actually needing the rescuing lately hasn’t helped.” She took his hand in her own. “I need you. I need you Spike. I want you to know that. But I can take care of myself, well I’m getting better at it anyway. And I know you’ll always be there to do what you can, but nothing that ever happens to me is your fault.”

“I know.” He answered quickly.

“Spike.” She waited for his tortured eyes to rise to her own once again. “You saved me.”

A tear escaped down his face. “No…”

“You saved me.” She repeated with equal conviction.

“No pet… you saved me.”

They held each other’s gaze for a long moment, unspoken truths passing between them.

“I-I better go.” Spike broke the silence, standing slowly.

“Wait.” Buffy whispered, almost too softly for him to hear. “Stay.”

Spike turned back toward her, searching her expression for doubt, he found none.

“Buffy I…”

“Hold me?”

He said nothing, just climbed back in beside her, drawing her firmly up against him.

“So…” She whispered into his chest after a minute. “What were you saying earlier about making this all up to me?”

He could feel her smile against him.

“Why don’t I show you luv?” He flipped them then, nuzzling her neck as he adjusted himself over her. “Practice a little… haven’t had to make up with you in a while.”

“Mr. Giles!” She squealed playfully.

“You know what they say pet… practice makes perfect.”

~~

“Everybody’s checking out, Riley and Gunn are loading the buss and Coach Rayne is gone.” Xander informed dutifully the next morning.

“What? What do you mean gone?” Angel’s voice took on a confused and desperate tone.

“I mean gone… checked out, left the premises, mint back on his pillow, gone.”

“You’re serious?”

“As a heart-attack.”

“I’ll be reporting that to the school board.” Angel grumbled as he finished packing his duffle.

“So we’re out?” Xander questioned, heading for the door.

“Yeah.” Angel looked over the room one last time before following his brother out. “Have you seen…?” His voice caught in his throat as he shut the door behind him, eyes focusing on Spike and his sister exiting her room. “Buffy?”

Both Buffy and Spike spun around, eyes growing wide as they took in the dark expression on her brother’s face.

Angel stalked forward, coming to a halt in front of the couple.

“What is going on here Buffy?” He growled.

“We’re… checking out.” She smiled coyly as she finished.

Angel’s glare turned to Spike. “I help you out and this is the thanks I get! Did you stay the night in there?!” He pointed aggressively towards the room.

Spike’s mouth opened and closed a few times, the colour leaving his face.

“Before you totally wig you need to know that something happened last night…”

Angel’s eyes grew wide.

“No! Not like that. Something bad… and Spike helped me.”

“So what happened?” Angel inquired, folding his arms across his chest.

“I’ll tell you in the car. Oh and Spike’s riding with us.” She explained.

“Buffy!” Angel almost whined in protest.

“Trust me… I’ll explain everything once we’re on the road.”

Angel huffed, shoulders sagging in defeat.

Buffy began to follow Xander and Spike down the hall before stopping, turning back to her older brother.

“Almost forgot.” With that she leaned up, kissing him on the cheek. “Thank you.”

~~

“I’ll kill him!” Angel spat, griping the steering wheel tighter.

“Not that I would really be against it, but I’m not so big on you going to jail, it’s him I want behind bars.” Buffy cuddled close to Spike as she spoke.

“So we’re going straight to the station when we reach Sunnydale then?” Angel more demanded then asked.

“If that’s what will make you happy then yeah. We’ll go straight away.”

“No.”

Buff turned towards Spike mystified.

“But you were the one that said I had to go… you said you’d drag me if I remember correctly!”

“And you will. There’s just one thing that has to happen first.”

~



A/N: Hope everyone is liking the ways it's all wrapping up... three more chapters left including the epilogue! Please let me know your thoughts! Reviews are love!


Chapter End Notes:
most amazing fantastic banner made by the dearest midnite_holic!