Chapter 29: Substitution

Ethan froze when he heard the knock at the door, hands dropping the clothes he had been packing. He crept towards the door, holding his breath as he leaned forward to peer out the peephole. He released a sigh of relief when there were no blue uniforms or nightsticks on the other side.

“Mr Giles.” He greeted his work colleague as he swung the timbre on its hinges. “To what do I owe this pleasure?”

“May I come in?” Giles voice was pleasant.

“But of course.” Rayne moved aside to allow the other Brit entrance. “Come right in.”

Rupert plucked the glasses from his face tossing them lightly onto the small table near the entry. A smile was in place as he swung around, fist connecting with Ethan’s jaw in a deafening blow.

“That was for touching my son.” Ripper scolded. “This…” He seized him, slamming his head into Rayne’s violently before tossing him to the ground. “…is for touching the girl.”

“Please.” Ethan coughed. “Stop.”

“Oh we’re just getting started.” He scoffed. “We still have every abuse of power, every perverse stare, every sick intention you had to atone for Rayne… but do cry out and beg anyway…” He approached the squirming figure slowly. “Then I can be sure I’m doing it right.” With that Ripper’s leg shot out, striking Ethan in the stomach, eliciting a howl of anguish.

“Yes… like that.”

~~

Buffy hurried through the cafeteria the next afternoon at school, eager for a chance to relax with her friends after such an intense weekend. Her time at the police station the previous night had been straining to say the least. But with Ethan Rayne behind bars awaiting trial, she could breath easy. She slowed as she approached a very cosy Xander and Willow.

“Hey guys.” Buffy chirped as she sat down across from them.

“Hey Buffy!” Willow smiled before her expression morphed into one of worry. “How are you doing, you doing okay?”

“I’m fine Will. I told you like a million times this morning, everything’s of the good.” Buffy popped a fry into her mouth as she spoke.

“Yes you did. But me with the not being stupid knows you can’t possibly be completely fine, not after everything you told me, hence the worry-face.” Willow pointed at herself and nodded.

“I know, and I appreciate the concern Will, but I think I’m actually doing pretty good.”

“Well I for one am just glad that sick-freak got what was coming to him.” Xander chimed in.

“Yeah did you see Mr Giles this morning?!” Willow whispered excitedly. “His hands were all bandaged up and he looked all growly. I didn’t take him for the violent type, but now… hummff different story.”

“I still can’t believe Spike did that.” Buffy shook her head in disbelief.

“I think it was great! Getting psycho dad to kick a little ass before the police came to take him down town. It was brilliant, inspired even.” Xander flung a fry around with each point.

“Fan of the violence much.” Buffy arched a brow at her brother.

“Hey. You’re my sister… someone wants to hurt my sis and I say faster pussy cat, kill, kill.”

“You’re disturbed.”

“No I’m a brother.”

~~

Spike sat, not making a sound, nervously wringing his hands together. He looked up at the clock, noticing the time he grew anxious, wanting to get to Buffy as soon as possible.

The door creaked open, causing Spike’s gaze to snap up.

“Come on in William.” The kind voice offered reassurance.

Spike entered the small office, taking in the degrees and photos lining the wall before taking a seat across from the brunette.

“I’m Winifred Burkle.” She thrust out her hand with a warm smile. “You can call me Fred, all the students do.” She shrugged. “So it says here you’re interested in some kind of counselling, is that right?”

Uh…” He cleared his throat. “Yeah.”

“I’m always here, my door is always open to students you should know that. But if you prefer something a little more in depth I can recommend some excellent private practices that deal in family trauma.” Her voice took on a sympathetic tone.

“That sounds fine.” He almost whispered.

“William? I know losing someone can be difficult, but the hard part is asking for help and you’ve done that. It will only get better from here.” She wrote vigorously as she spoke.

“I know.”

“This is all the information you’ll need okay.” She handed him the slip of paper.

“Thanks.” Spike rose to leave.

“William?” Fred stopped him. “Let me know how it goes.”

“Right.”

~~

“So where’s Spike?” Xander asked with a shrug.

“He’s…” Buffy paused, a smile forming. “Xander do you realise what you just did?!” She bounced.

“Huh?”

“You called him Spike!”

“Simple mistake…what I meant to say was where’s Bleach Head, or where’s the Bleached Wonder, or Bleachy McBleach, but not Spike.”

“Someone say m’ name?” Spike implored as he took a seat beside Buffy.

“I did NOT!” Xander whined.

Spike arched a brow, looking to Buffy for an explanation.

“Don’t look at me! I’m almost positive I was adopted.” She leaned in, placing a gentle kiss on Spike’s lips, only to be interrupted by someone clearing their throat.

Buffy spun around towards the noise, flushing with embarrassment when she saw Angel standing behind her.

“Hi squirt.” Angel greeted, only to shoot a quick glare at Spike.

“Angel what are you doing here?” Buffy questioned.

“I’ve got a meeting with the school board.”

Buffy’s eyes grew wide with worry.

“With Rayne gone looks like they need to appoint a new coach.” He beamed.

“OH my God Angel that’s GREAT!” Buffy squealed.

“Congratulations!” Willow piped in.

“Great, maybe now you can move out of the basement and get a real life.” Xander teased.

Angel glowered.

“Maybe not.” Xander shrunk away.

Angel smiled to himself before continuing. “The remainder of this season has been scrapped, but I’ll be starting fresh next year.” He offered an apologetic look to Spike, clearing his throat. “Even with the season ending short… I… I’ll write you a recommendation for anywhere you’d want to play.” Angel avoided eye contact as he spoke. “You’re a hell or a mid-fielder and I wouldn’t want this to… ruin any plans you had.” He fidgeted slightly, unused to complimenting.

Spike smiled brightly. “Thanks, means a lot.”

“HEY! What about me!” Xander complained.

“You’re my brother; I’m obligated to help you out.” Angel informed.

“Oh. Okay!” Xander smiled, contented.

“I’ll see you two at home.” He bent down, kissing the top of Buffy’s head. “Be good.” He pointed at Spike then at Xander, winking at Buffy and Willow before leaving.

“That’s too bad about this season.” Willow pouted.

“You’re telling me.” Gunn replied as he approached their table.

“So you heard?” Spike asked offering a quick smile and nod to his friend.

“Just, and let me be the first to say that it sucks somethin’ fierce.” Gunn slumped down in his chair.

“I’m really sor…” Buffy started to apologise.

“Don’t you dare finish that sentence pet.” Spike reprimanded. “None of this is your fault.”

“He’s right sista’ you’re definitely given a ‘get out of blame free’ pass on this one.” Gunn interjected.

“Yeah Buffy, no one blames you.” Willow leaned in, rubbing her friend’s hand.

“Thanks guys, but I can’t help feeling a little guilty here.” She sighed heavily.

“Well don’t Buff. Most of the team sucked any-hoo and those of us with some skill will work it out.” He smiled warmly.

“See, nothing that can’t be fixed.” Willow nodded.

“I guess.” Buffy conceded.

“Just look at it this way Goldilocks.” Spike leaned in, purring into her ear. “We can still spend time together… just now we’ll be alone.”

She shivered, his breath tickling her neck.

“That’s the best news I’ve heard all day.”

“So my place after school?”

Buffy leaned into him, lowering her voice to barely a whisper.

“Mmm-hmm… after all you’ve still got some making up to do.”

~



A/N: Just one more chapter and then the epilogue! Hope it's just enough Spuffy to close it up! Let me know what you think! Makes writing it all the better!