Chapter 3: Knowing the Score

Buffy made her way to the training room after her last class. Willow had told her where it was and now, as she approached the door her stomach tied itself in knots. The door was open halfway so Buffy pushed it as she stepped in knocking at the same time.

“You must be Buffy,” Ethan Rayne eyed the small blond in front of him with both contempt and praise.

“Y-Yes, my brother, Angel, he told me to come by here after class, he said he’d mention to you that I- I would like to be a trainer,” Buffy found it hard to keep eye contact with Coach Rayne, he intimidated her somehow. ‘Creepy much- and is everyone around here British?’ Her mind wondered to keep from becoming too nervous.

“He mentioned something- and I think we can come to some sort of arrangement,” he couldn’t help smirk as she fidgeted in front of him.

“I- I, should…” thankfully she was cut off as the door flew the rest of the way open, revealing a smiling brother.

“HEY Buffy, how was your first day.” Angel leaned down and kissed his sister’s forehead squeezing her shoulders.

“Great.” The word squeaked out from between her lips too fast, she hadn’t even noticed she had holding her breath.

“You ok Buff?” he bent down to his sister’s level, trying not to sound too concerned.

“Fine, really,” she let a calming breath escape before looking her brother in the eyes to let him know she really was ok.

“You sure?” he questioned, seeking reassurance.

“Yup, whole worlds of fine, promise,” she set her bag down as she reiterated her pervious ascertain

“Ok, well Coach Rayne and I are going out to the field to get warm-ups started, any players who need anything before they begin their workout will come to see you here. Once all the players are ready to go you come on out too, clear?” he patted Buffy on the arm and waited for a response.

“As a crystal coach,” she emphasised the last word with sarcasm.

With that both men hurried out the door, but not before Coach Rayne turned and gave Buffy a curious look.

Buffy wasn’t alone long before she heard several familiar voices coming towards the room.

“Hey Bufferoni ready for a little slave labour.” A smile stretched from ear to ear as he giggled at his teasing.

“Hey I’m the one with the tape and ice and if you want to know all the fun ways I could think of using them then keep it up really, I dare you, it would be funny,” she smiled urging her brother on.

“And she comes out swinging, little sis has some attitude I like it,” Gunn followed Xander into the room and raised a brow of approval at Buffy.

“I like a girl who can take care of herself,” a foreign voice chimed in as a stocky boy entered behind the two friends, “Hi, I’m Riley,” he shot a hand towards Buffy.

“Buffy,” she couldn’t help the slight blush the rose in her cheeks at the appreciative look Riley gave her. “So what can I do for you boys?”

“I need the usual Buff,” Xander sat on the padded bench awaiting his sister’s treatment.

“Both shoulders Xand or just the right?” she asked not being able to hide her slight concern.

“Both, I might be good with my hands, but I pay the price,” he joked as the room erupted into laughter. Buffy taped her brother’s shoulders, he had been a goalkeeper since he was six and as his skill increased so did the pain and problems in this joints.


“What about you Gun?” Buffy asked as she finished with her brother’s left shoulder, wrapping it perfectly. ‘Huh, must be like riding a bike.’

“Just my right ankle taped,” as he spoke he flung his long leg onto the bench so Buffy could reach it. Buffy worked quickly wanting to get out into the sunshine. “Thanks Buffy,” Gunn’s warm smile filled the room.

“Riley, what’ll it be?” she leaned back throwing her arms open to suggest a wide selection.

“I need to be fitted with a knee brace,” he looked down at his right knee as he spoke.

“Right- knee brace, knee brace, if I were a knee brace where would I be,” she spoke to herself as she searched the room. All three boys watched her amusing antics. “Ah-HA, one knee brace coming right up,” she threw a wining smile out at the boys as she held a knee brace up triumphantly.

“Thanks Buffy, really, it feels great,” Riley grinned like a little boy as he stood up from Buffy’s care.

“Really Buffy it feels great,” Gunn mocked Riley’s enthusiasm.

“Ok, Ok, settle down you two, we should all head out to the field, you guys are missing warm-ups and…”she was cut off by her brothers smirk. “WHAT?”

“Not you Buff, you have to wait for ALL of us to get out onto the field, and there is one more,” he couldn’t help but laugh as he and his teammates made there way out of the little room. “See you in a little while, and Buff- try and be nice,” and with his last word Xander ran down the hall and out into the sunshine.

“Be nice?” she asked herself out loud, and jumped when there was an answer.

“Always, luv,” Spike strolled into the training room trying to hide his surprise to have found the golden haired goddess that had occupied his thoughts all day. ‘Yup, knew it was goin’ to be a good day.’

“Spike,” is all Buffy could muster while staring at the image before her. His usually gelled hair was tussled, probably from changing, he wore the white shorts and tight white shirt everyone did for training, but somehow it looked too good on him. He somehow still kept his bad boy look through little touches, a black wrist band and black knee socks made him look the same, but different.

“So goldilocks where do we begin,” he smirked at the look on her face

“What do you need,” she squeaked never breaking eye contact.

“Oh I think you know what I need pet,” he clicked his tongue and looked her up and down.

That was all it took- she snapped out of it.

“Well I certainly know what you’re going to GET, and that’s NOTHING!” She hissed the words and stormed out, leaving Spike alone and stunned.

‘Maybe this isn’t going to be as easy as you thought, bloody idiot. Why do you always have to stick your soddin’ foot firmly in your mouth? Why couldn’t you just tell her…wait tell her what? OH you bloody poofta’ Spike battled with himself all the way out to the field, trying hard to convincingly deny and suppress any William-like feelings he was having towards Buffy. He failed.

~~

The sun beat down on Buffy’s back as she sat on the worn bench near the field. She watched as Angel yelled orders at the team, pushing them to run harder. Xander seemed to be struggling, he wasn’t much of a runner, but he didn’t need to be. ‘Poor Xand, looks like he’s regretting the greasing food he ate for lunch,’ Buffy giggled to herself as she watched.

“Ok ‘ladies’, take a moment to catch your breath before we continue, stay on the field though cause we’ve got more work to do,” Angel loved his new job, he didn’t want to be mean really, but these kids really did need some help if they were going to be anything.

“Anyone know the new girl, cause she is seriously in need of some FUN,” Parker eyed the new hottie from across the field, “and I have GOT to be the one to give it to her, you know what I mean.”

Spike could immediately feel his face grow hot with jealously and rage. ‘Why do I want to protect the bloody girl I don’t even know her, but what I do know is that wanker isn’t going to come within…’

Before Spike could speak up Parker was snapped up by angry arms, “What your looking at, see, you DON”T get to look at, you don’t even so much as sneak a glance or say her name got me?” Xander shook as he spoke, he wasn’t exactly the most macho guy, but no one said those things about his little sister, no one.

“And what are you going to do about it you pathetic…” Parker’s threat was cut off by a much firmer grip clutching at his neck.

“Do you really want to find out Parker, cause by the look on your face right now, I’m thinking NO,” Angel had tried to stay calm, after all he didn’t need the entire team knowing the new goalkeeper and trainer were his little brother and sister, he didn’t care to deal with accusations of favouritism.

“What’s your problem man,” Parker shrugged both sets of arms off only to face several furious glares.

“My ‘PROBLEM’ is that the girl you so blatantly womanised is MY kid sister and the team mate you just called pathetic for standing up for her, he’s her twin brother, MY brother.” Angel spat the words through gritted teeth.

“And the girl who can take care of herself and doesn’t need two bonehead Neanderthals for brother’s… is LEAVING,” Buffy stormed off, shivering slightly under the gaze of all the eyes she knew were fixated on her. Moments ago she had began to make her way towards the commotion, worried that her brother’s were involved, only to discover they weren’t just involved they were overstepping some serious brotherly boundaries.

“Everybody knees to your chest, RUN!” Angel knew he’d be sorry the moment he stepped in, and now even his sister was angry with him. ‘Damn-it Buffy, why do you have to be so stubborn?’ He began preparing himself for the apology he would be giving later that night.

‘Bollocks, could this be anymore screwed up, my coach is her soddin’ brother, bloody wanker he is too. Well at least it wasn’t me who got it this time, poof got what he deserved’ Spike thought about Buffy and her flaming red cheeks and her pouting lips, ‘If she wasn’t so damned adorable when she gets mad I would feel a little bit sorry for her.’ Spike ‘s mind stayed captivated by Buffy through the duration of practice, he didn’t even notice that Angel was running them harder then usual, or that he was particularly knackered when they were told to turn in. He didn’t care; he had more important things to think about.

~