Chapter 6: Penalty Shot

The first game of the season ended with some mild cheering and the quick anti-climatic disbanding of players and parents early Wednesday evening.

“This was so cool, I love soccer!” Willow bounced exhilarated.

“You do? Since when?” Buffy scoffed, eyeing her bubbly friend.

“Since today. I can’t be blamed for never knowing its joys before this, but now, I am a soccer aficionado through and through!” She waved her miniature Sunnydale High Soccer flag in tiny spurts as she finished.

“Oh really, and that wouldn’t by any chance have anything to do with a certain goalkeeper making with the googly eyes the entire game.”

“I plead the fifth…he was googly eyed though right?”

“Yes Will, he is so the smitten kitten. He was staring so much I’m surprised he even noticed there was a game going on.” Buffy collected her things and started towards the training room with Willow in toe.

“I know, it’s like he has a sixth sense or something. Did you see him do that flippy thing and stop the ball with his feet in the air, he was all grrrrrr with the intensity and cool moves.” She nodded her head furiously smiling.

“Huh? I missed that one.”

“But I bet you noticed when Spike kicked that goal…”

“Which one?” She went red in the face. “There were two.”

“I guess were both aficionados now huh?” A devilish grin spread over Willow’s lips.

~~

Spike stepped out of the shower; a towel wrapped securely around his waist as he strode across the locker room, stopping next to Xander he flung the rusted metal open.

“Nice moves out there bleach boy. Really, we could actually have a winning season thanks to you.” Xander kept his eyes on his own exploits as he regarded Spike.

“I’m touched.” His voice was dripping with sarcasm. “Maybe if you keep your focus on the game and off of a certain little red head, we will.”

“Hey, they didn’t score once… I… I’m focused.” He whinged.

“I saw what I saw, just something to think ‘bout whelp.” Spike arched his brow but kept it light.

“Fair enough.” He smiled slyly. “So heard you’re taking my sis out this Friday?”

Spike choked, coughing before meeting Xander’s gaze. “She tell you that?”

“I am her bestest brotherly friend in the whole wide world.” He paused. “No- I heard her talking to Willow.”

“I see. Well in that case, since you bloody well didn’t hear it from me, yeah, why? You got a problem with it?” Spike postured.

“Whoa there! No, no problem. See I like to keep with the living, so there is definitely not a problem.”

“Scared boy?”

“Yeah…”

Spike snickered, smirking before Xander continued.

“Of Buffy.”

~~

Buffy and Willow parted ways. Willow heading home to get a head start on the homework she liked so much, Buffy heading into the training room to clean up before leaving herself.

“Miss Summers.” Coach Rayne’s slow annunciation of her name and his voracious stare sent shivers down Buffy’s spine.

“C-Coach Rayne… I didn’t know you were in here… I…” Her eyes glued to the concrete.

“No need to explain yourself girl. Tsk tsk, look at you shaking like a lost lamb.” Ethan took up a strand of her hair twisting it- studying it.

Buffy froze, her muscles constricting at his touch. Her stomach fell, causing bile to rise up in her throat.

“I need to go…” She stepped back, her locks slipping from his fingers, almost.

Ethan tightened his grip at the feel of her sliding away, wrenching her back towards him with a prompt jerk of the blond strands.

Buffy whimpered, liquid stinging her eyes before slamming them shut as his thumb darted out massaging her face.

“Going somewhere precious?” Rayne scoffed at the young girl.

“Kitten you still…” Spike swung in to the doorway ceasing movement and speech immediately.

Coach Rayne permitted his arm to depart from Buffy, smiling curtly at his player.

“Buffy?” Spike’s confusion and suspicion were swirling.

“Yeah, hey.” She spun around. “I’m done here, let’s go.”

Buffy didn’t explain, Spike didn’t mention anything about how she hadn’t been expecting him; they just left. After of course, Spike scowled at Rayne accusingly.

“You mind telling me what that was all ‘bout pet?” He went for her hand as they negotiated the parking lot.

Nearly leaping a mile away from his endeavour, Buffy let out a minute snivel.

“What what was about?” She evaded.

“Not buyin’ it for a second luv.” This time he vehemently encased her hand with his own allowing no room for error.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about Spike.” She met his worried stare, faking sentiment.

“Right then I’ll spell it out for you goldilocks.” Her evasiveness had triggered his rage. “Is there something going on with you and my bloody Coach?” He couldn’t keep the indictment out of his tone.

“How dare you.” The words sliced from Buffy’s lips cutting him like a knife along with her stabbing glare.

“Bloody hell Summers, providing an explanation would be nice if you don’t fancy this kinda reaction.” Buffy withdrew from him, shrinking away at each word like they were poison.

“Stay away from me.”

Before Spike could respond she darted off across the remainder of the parking lot and was gone.

“Bloody fucking hell!”

~~

Buffy finally heard the gentle drumming at her bedroom door and sighed with relief. She bounded from the sanctuary of her bed flinging the door away from her visitor.

No words, Buffy buried her face into Willows shoulder, tears spiling every which way.

“Oh god Buffy what happened!” The tiny red head hung on to her friend eyes wide with worry.

Unintelligible mumbles laced through the sobs.

“Buffy it’ll be alright. Whatever it is, it’ll be fine see.” Willow pulled away slightly in order to look Buffy in the eye- smiling brightly when contact was made. “I wouldn’t steer you wrong.”

Buffy allowed a scrap of a smile to grace her lips before collapsing into strained tears once again.

“Oh goodness.” Willow led her grieving friend to settle on the soft pillow covered bed top.

“Buffy please tell me what’s wrong, please.” She pleaded for some kind of understanding.

Again strangled moans mingled with jarring wails.

“Listen, do I have to kick your butt, or are you gonna tell me what’s up missy!” Resolve face etched firmly in place.

There was no arguing.

“W- Will, I- I’m a SLUT!” More tears.

“Oh dear, Buffy… you- you’re not a slut, what made you think you were a… OH, unless you stayed after the game and slept with like the entire team. OH! But that would be really gross cause both your brothers are on the team, not that I’m passing judgement and… I- I’m sure you’re not…”

“WILLOW!” Buffy’s eyes bugged. “Faith much! I didn’t sleep with ANYONE!”

“Oh thank god!” Relief passed through her wavering frame followed quickly by confusion. “But you said…”

“I don’t have to sleep with a whole team and commit incest to be a slut Will. But thanks for the vow of confidence, really.”

“Buffy I’m sorry, I just- I guess I don’t understand, what happened between, well… when I left and the hour that went by until now?” Her eyes swelled with worry for the second time.

“There’s something wrong with me Will.” She paused to draw in a long breath. “I do something, and I don’t know I do it. I just, make guys think…”

Some form of comprehension flashed in Willow’s eyes.

“Buffy, listen to me… did someone hurt you, did someone…”

“It’s my fault Will, this, it happened in LA as well. Its part of why- why we’re here, it’s all my fault…” She began shaking violently.

“What happened Buffy?” Her voice remained calm yet stern.

“I don’t know what happened!”

“Who you’d see after I left… did anyone…SPIKE!” She suddenly remembered the current focus of Buffy’s affections.

“N- NO Will, he, I mean yeah, but he didn’t, he HATES me!”

“Why would Spike hate you Buffy?”

“Because he saw me with Coach RAYNE!” Hands flew to her mouth, guilt and shock coating her.

Willow trembled.

“B- Buffy, you gotta tell me everything.”

~