Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: Joe Rogan's not mine! Hottie, but not mine. I prefer Spike anyway. ;D BIG thank you goes to my new beta, Brat. *LOL* Give her a shout out in the reviews!
“OK Angel, how bad do you want to send Riley home?” Joe asked him when they reached the helicopter.

“Bad, so bad,” Angel replied, shaking his head and smiling. “He’s so annoying…”

“Well, you can do that if you beat 35 seconds. If you beat that score, and if Spike gets all the flag in under 35 seconds as well, Riley goes home.”

Angel nodded and rubbed his hands together. “Yeah, I got it. No problem.”

Joe shook his hand. “Well, good luck.”

***


When Joe got back to the others, he could see some kind of an argument going on between the ladies.

“I’m just sayin’, I have the motivation to win this thing,” Faith said to Buffy.

“And oh, I don’t?” Buffy shot back incredulously, “We don’t?”

“I don’t think so, B,” Faith smirked at her. “What do you have going on for you?”

“My mother,” Buffy replied quietly. Faith laughed.

“So, what? You’re gonna win this fifty grand to let mummy go to Las Vegas for some holiday trip? Or maybe you want to win this thing to pay off her credit card debts?”

“You don’t know what it’s like growing up poor, B,” Faith continued before Buffy could defend herself. “You don’t understand what is it like to struggle everyday for meals and occasionally-- just occasionally-- nice clothes.”

“ ‘m not sayin’ you have a lack of ambition where this game is concerned, Faith,” Spike snapped. “But maybe, just maybe you can tone down your bitchiness just a bit, yeah?”

Buffy turned to look at Spike in surprise. Why was he defending her?

“Alright everybody, remember, time starts when Angel lands on the skids!” Joe shouted at them, the roar of helicopter increasing as it lifted off the pad.

Buffy was still staring at Spike questioningly. He caught her eyes and gave her a small smile. At once, Buffy felt both cautious and warmed, if it was possible. They were such contradicting feelings. On one hand, she was grateful for Spike to bite Faith back as he did, defending her, and yet, on the other hand, where was Spike going with this? She felt as if Spike had been doing nothing but playing with her mind. He was constantly challenging her. Buffy shivered in response.

She turned to watch Angel climb over the skids deftly, obviously copying Riley’s style. He climbed hand over hand, grabbed two flags on one side of the skid then traversed smoothly over the rope before he seemed to get tangled. Fortunately for him, however, he freed himself and grabbed the next flag. With only one more flag to go, he tried to reach it from where he was, but could not. It was obvious Angel was getting tired. At last, he inched nearer and pulled at the flag, but it didn’t budge.

“Uh oh,” Joe said, eyes squinting up, “looks like he’s having some difficulties with the flag!”

Tearing the flag in frustration, Angel gave a growl of triumph and let go, landing into the lake water on his back.

“Wow,” Angel commented to the cameraman while sitting in the boat after being fished out of the water. They were heading back to the dock. “That was harder than I thought.”

“An-gellll,” Joe said, shaking his hand when Angel finally dragged his feet tiredly to where they were all lined up. “How well do you think you did?”

Angel smiled, gave a tired sigh, and shook his head, “I don’t know, man. I may be slower than Riley, I’m not sure. Could be slower.”

“Well Angel, your time to beat is 35 seconds, set by Riley. Your time is,” Joe paused for dramatic effect. “35 SECONDS!”

Everybody gaped in surprise.

“No way!”

“That’s almost impossible!”

“What a freaking coincidence!”

Angel grinned and pumped the air with his fists.

Riley only grinned in response, even though everybody knew his pride must be injured. To have another guy having the same record as you when you’ve boasted left and right must have been embarrassing.

“This means that you and Riley will automatically move on to the second round. Spike, if you can’t beat 35 seconds, you’re going home.”

Spike nodded, rocking his body back and forth excitedly, “ ‘m ready.”

“You know what to do, right?” Joe asked.

“Yup.”

“Let’s go then.”

***


Buffy watched as Spike talked to Joe, standing next to the helicopter. She couldn’t wait to see what kind of body was hidden under all those clothes…

“Well Spike, do you have any strategy for this?” Joe asked him as Spike placed his hands on his hips and looked at the chopper.

“Basically just the same as the other two wankers,” Spike replied, eyes squinting in the sun. “I just need to hustle that’s all.”

“You think you can do it? I believe you’re going to win this money for a honeymoon with your fiancé, am I right?” Joe asked.

“That’s right. Her name’s Dru.” Even when Spike said this, he didn’t feel as if he was doing this for her. It felt so different somehow. Spike’s thoughts turned to the golden goddess standing in the shade watching the stunt. Suddenly he wished he wasn’t engaged to Dru. He felt guilty for thinking that, and tried to push the feeling aside.

“Alright, let’s get you suited up, and then get you up into the air! Remember, Spike: 35 seconds!” Joe told him, and shook his hand. “Good luck.”

Buffy’s eyes went wide when she saw Spike took off his shirt. Alabaster chest, chiseled abdomen, God… who could look like that and still be legal? His physique was toned, but not bulky – he moved with the grace of a panther and with a hint of ill-contained enthusiasm, and Buffy wondered what it was like to run her hands up that chest… across that strong jaw and those cheekbones.

No doubt about it. Spike was a living Adonis. But too bad he acted like an ass most of the time.

“And they’re up!” Joe shouted, looking up at the helicopter with the rest of the contestants. “Remember, the time to beat is 35 seconds, if he succeeds, he will move on to the next round. If he fails, he will go home.”

And for one fleeting moment, Buffy wished fervently that Spike would succeed…


A/N: I know! I know! I'm evil for leaving you with a cliffhanger like this. Don't kill me just yet. ;D

I'll be gone on a holiday for about 5 days, and won't be posting until then. In the meantime, play safe!

Don't forget to leave reviews!