Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's the next chappie! Many thanks to Brat, my beta. ;)
Buffy stretched and yawned, burrowing further under her duvet. She opened an eye blearily when she realized that the bed was unfamiliar. The smell was unfamiliar. Hell, even the temperature was different!

She sat up, wiping her eyes and smoothed down her bed hair. She grinned when she realized that she was in her hotel room, here as a competitor on Fear Factor.

It was the contestants’ off day before they started on the second stunt tomorrow, and Buffy wanted to make the most of it. Leaping up, she padded into her bathroom to take a long, hot bath…

Later, as she was drying her hair, Buffy picked up her hotel room’s phone and started dialing a familiar number. It rang a few times but nobody picked up. She frowned, and then remembered that Dawn was supposed to be in school and her mum should be at the gallery. She hung up, making a mental note to call them later in the evening. Dialing another number, she heard it ring a few times before a chirpy voice said, “Rosenberg residence!”

“Willow!”

“Buffy? Hey!” Willow squealed excitedly. “How are things there?”

“Oh God, Wills, I don’t know where to start, but the most important thing I’ve gotta tell you is that I’ve made it through the first stunt!” Buffy replied.

“Yay for my Buffster! So did that Spike guy make it too?”

Buffy frowned. Why was Willow bringing Spike into this and why did she sound so concerned about him?

“Yeah, too bad he did, actually,” Buffy said, twirling the phone cord around her fingers. “I could have done without his smartass comments and quippage.”

Willow giggled, “Well then, tell me! What’s the score like?”

Buffy told her, and Willow gasped in surprise.” Spike has the fastest score? Oh God, I can’t wait to actually watch this on TV! I can’t even imagine what he looks like.”

“Bleached blond. Blue eyes. Sharp cheekbones. Chiseled body. Sexy voice,” Buffy said absentmindedly. She’d picked up the TV remote and was now channel-surfing.

Willow raised her eyebrows. If only this girl could listen to herself talk…

“So what are you planning to do today? Second stunt?” Willow asked.

“Nah. Second stunt’s not till tomorrow, and I’m actually quite nervous about that one because it probably involves eating yucky food,” Buffy said.

“So, then….”

“So, then I think I’m going to explore the city a bit. I think I’ll go now, Wills. My stomach’s demanding food.”

“OK Buff, and remember, I’m rootin’ for ya!” Willow said.

Buffy grinned. “Yeah, I know, Wills. Thank you. Have I told you how lucky I am to have you as my best friend?”

“I think you might have, but I’d forgotten. Remind me again,” Willow teased her back.

Buffy laughed at her friend’s feigned amnesia. “I am lucky. Thanks again, Wills.”

“No problem. Bye now!”

***


Buffy pulled on a pair of black cut-off pants she’d modified for herself. It was originally a black business pants, but, wanting to give an edge to it, she’d cut it off right below the knee, and then sewed the hem. She pulled a tight white tank top and pulled on a black cropped jacket that accentuated her curves.

She sat down in front of the vanity mirror and began to apply her makeup. Thirty minutes later Buffy put on her black leather knee high boots and closed the hotel room door behind her. She left her room key card at the counter, afraid that she might lose the card when she traveled around the city.

It was a sunny day, and Buffy paused to take pictures of the locals who were strolling by. She went around the city taking photos and then, when she couldn’t stand the hunger gnawing in her stomach any longer, stepped into a quaint little diner.

“One fish and chips, please,” Buffy smiled at the elderly woman in front of her at the counter before climbing onto a stool and looked up at the menu panel mounted in front of her.

The elderly woman nodded and smiled back, before asking, “Anythin’ you wanna order for drinks, missy?”

“Hmm… make it a Diet coke.”

She nodded. “Comin’ right up.”

She turned around and slid back a panel door, revealing a small hole which overlooked the vast kitchen. “ONE FISH AND CHIPS!”

Buffy smiled in amusement at the elderly woman’s loud cracked voice.

“So honey, where ya from? Don’t sound local, you,” the woman turned towards her again and began drying glasses lined up on the counter in front of her vigorously.

“I’m from Sunnydale.”

“Ah, been there once,” the woman replied, “My name’s Shirley by the way. The owner here. My husband cooks at the back, and I would’ve helped him and be his assistant, but the grease turns my hair into dreadlocks.”

Buffy giggled. It was hard to imagine with the woman’s hair all poofy and 80’s.

“So what was the purpose of your visit at Sunnydale?” Buffy asked.

And so began their conversation, which continued on even when Buffy was digging into her fish and chips (which were heavenly, she thought) and draining her Diet coke. After paying for her lunch, she thanked Shirley and exited.

***


Buffy spent her whole afternoon shopping at a district famous for its rows upon rows of boutiques. She refrained from buying a ton of items she didn’t need though, and settled for window shopping and snapping at local sights instead. She didn’t believe in throwing money down the drain, not when her mother needed it more than she needed a new pair of shoes, tops, blouses, skirts or pants.

She strolled by a few nondescript shops before stopping at one selling bikinis, staring at a few mannequins in the shop window.

I’ve ruined mine yesterday during the stunt, Buffy thought. I think I deserve another good pair for a job well done yesterday.

So she went in and began to browse the racks. Glancing outside, Buffy noted that the sky had darkened and the watch on her wrist told her it was already 6pm. It was almost time for dinner. She was so engrossed in her search for the perfect bikini, holding up one after another that she didn’t notice anyone behind her until she heard a sultry voice whisper close to her ear, “That one should look good on you, luv.”

Buffy squealed and spun around, clutching the bikini close to her chest. Her eyes widened when she saw who it was.

“Spike!!”

Several patrons turned their heads to look at her quizzically. Spike smirked at her discomfort, obviously embarrassed she had shouted his name so loudly in the almost empty shop.

“What are you doing here?” she hissed at him.

He raised an eyebrow and looked around the shop, as if realizing for the first time he’d stepped into a swimwear boutique.

“ ‘m lookin’ for a bikini for my girl, that’s all,” he replied.

Buffy’s heart sank at the thought of Spike being taken and buying a sexy two-piece for his girlfriend, but she recovered quickly. You suck, she cursed mentally at The Powers That Be.

“Oh? What have you picked out?” Buffy crossed her arms across her chest and stood with her hips jutting out on one side, smiling at him expectantly.

Spike simply grabbed a garment off its rack a bit violently and shoved it under her nose. “This one!”

It was a white swimsuit with red polka dots all over it. With a skirt.

Buffy raised her eyebrows, “Wow, Spike… does your girl have chicken pox or something? Cause, if she does, I’m sure that swimsuit will blend in just fine…”

Spike’s eyes widened in horror. He shoved the garment back hurriedly before giving her a pissed look.

“OK fine, blondie. You caught me,” Spike said to her.

“Caught you-”

“I saw you coming inside here and decided to come after you. See what you have been up to.”

“Following me now, Spikey?” she laughed at him before looking down at the bikini she was still holding onto. The one he’d said she would look good in. It was a sexy red string bikini. She gulped at the thought of herself wearing it and showing it off to Spike; maybe he would become aroused and…

Bad thoughts, Buffy! Bad thoughts! Stop now! Stop the thoughts of the bad!

“ ‘ey now! Who ever said anythin’ about followin’ you?” he knitted his brows together, hoping he was giving her what he was hoping was his offended look, but he just looked bewildered to Buffy.

“Then, you’re free to walk out of here,” Buffy said to him before turning her back on him. “You don’t have to be ‘polite’ and talk to me on the streets, you know. Even though we’re contestants and all that.”

“Well, I can’t do that.”

She gave him an astonished look. “And why not?”

“Because I want to ask you out for dinner.” Spike gave her a naughty grin and waggled his eyebrows. Buffy swore she could feel her heart skip a beat just then.

She gave out a bark of laughter. “Why on earth would I wanna do that? You have been nothing but a pain in my ass.”

“Well, I admit I did. But that’s all in the game,” Spike added on hurriedly. “You know what this is about – it’s about the game. I can’t treat you nice and friendly-like. The other contestants would call me a ponce!”

She smiled at him. “I’m sure they’ll call you a lot of things, but ponce is not one of them.”

She handed her selection to a nearby salesgirl and nodded at her, indicating her desire to purchase the item. It was the red string bikini. She followed the salesgirl to the counter.

“Well, will you?”

“Will I what?”

Buffy pulled out her credit card and handed it to the cashier, glancing at Spike to give him a confused look.

Spike rolled his eyes. “Dinner. With me. Tonight. Sound good?”

“I’m not a two year old, Spike! You don’t have to-”

“I know you’re not. You’re an intelligent young woman who is perfectly capable of stringing a sentence together.”

“I- what? You called me intelligent?” Buffy was amazed at how this guy can make her feel heady just from the conversations alone. It was one of the things that made her attracted to him. He was so interesting.

And to her delight, he blushed. He actually blushed. And it was so freakin’ adorable!

“Yeah,” he replied hoarsely, suddenly unable to come up with anything else to say.

“But you’ll behave yourself tonight, right? No more tormenting poor Buffy?”

He raised his fist and placed it over his heart, his expression mock-serious. “I promise. I’ll be so polite and oh-so-full of manners, even your mama never taught you, till you don’t recognize me.”

Buffy laughed at that before turning to sign on the receipts the cashier handed to her and collected her purchase now neatly wrapped in a pretty package. She tucked her credit card into her purse before turning around to walk towards the entrance door.

“OK.”

“OK?”

“OK, as in, the word people usually use to-”

“You’re a cheeky bint, you know that?”

She laughed. “Likewise.” She paused for a beat, then, “Except, you’re… not a bint.”

Spike laughter rang out and filled the shop as they exited together.

As they walked further along, Buffy’s voice could be heard saying, “So, where are you taking me for dinner?”

A/N: So...Like it? Hate it? This is a chapter that I'm quite nervous about, so let me know how I'm doing. Leave a review!

A/N2: Many many congratulations to Nemo for being nominated at The Blood Ties Award for her fic Before The Madness Begun! ;D *huggies*