Author's Chapter Notes:
Many thanks to all who have reviewed so far, keep it up! Apologies for not updating yesterday, but I had my last exam today, so all should be returned to normal now. Enjoy!
Cecily, after being so rudely thrown from Wood’s apartment, had slunk home to lick her wounds, offended and furious. Determining that the most appealing option was to make Spike as jealous as possible and to push his vampire bitch right out of his mind, she gave herself a few days to recover before putting her plan into action.

She returned to the salon she’d used since arriving in Sunnydale, smiling to herself with sinister delight as her light-brown roots were dyed to match the rest of her straw-blonde hair. The ringlets were redefined by the deft hands of the stylist before she was swept off to visit the nail department. A manicure later, she paid for her treatments and sauntered out into the evening air.

Being joined by the hip to the Slayer for so long hadn’t left her totally oblivious to the dangers of walking alone on the Hellmouth, especially after dark fell. Checking that the stake lodged in her handbag was accessible, she began to walk quickly home, her wide eyes scanning her surroundings for any hint of trouble.

Once or twice she got the distinct impression that someone or something was following her, but every time she turned to look there were just empty streets behind her. Nervous, she sped up, reaching for her weapon. The click of her heels on the road echoed eerily as she shivered, the hairs on the nape of her neck rising.

****

Golden eyes followed her progress, the shadowy figure flicking from rooftop to rooftop with effortless grace. Blonde hair flashed in the light as she passed a street lamp, the ridges on her brow made deeper by the shadows dancing warily across her beautiful, cold face.

Seeing her target stop, rifling through her handbag as her cell phone trilled, Darla breathed in a last breath through her nostrils to make sure. While this certainly looked like the Slayer’s girlfriend, she had to double check. Sure enough, that fascinatingly elusive hint of the distinctive Slayer stink still lingered on her. A malicious grin lifted her fanged mouth. Time to party.

****

The girl in question, still fumbling for her cell, never knew what hit her. One moment she was alone in the darkness of a Sunnydale street, the next she was being held around the waist by a strong, slender arm as her head was wrenched to one side. Her throat was bared as she realised what was happening, struggling wildly before the sharp sting of fangs in her neck heralded the arrival of blissful darkness.

****

Spike woke to find himself holding a deathly still Buffy to his chest. For a moment he panicked, her chest so unnaturally immobile that he gripped her tighter in his arms. Then reality reasserted itself, and he relaxed, smiling softly as she sighed in her sleep, the sudden movement pushing her breasts out from under the duvet and into his line of sight.

He gulped, his morning erection suddenly throbbing as desire coursed through him. His lips curled in a wry smile as her nostrils twitched; maybe there were some upsides to having a vampire girlfriend that he hadn’t thought about before. His smile faded as his face became serious, studying her peaceful countenance.

Her wide, expressive eyes were closed, the faint lines around their edges destined to never grow any deeper. Her nose was slightly turned-up at the tip, and he remembered how it had wrinkled when she asked that first question. ‘Wait, you’re a guy?’ The memory made him grin again. He watched as her lips curled into a delectable pout, and couldn’t resist any longer.

Buffy woke to the strange but thoroughly delicious feeling of Slayer lips on hers. Mmm, Spike lips. Lips of Spike. Yum. Her eyes lazily blinked open as he drew back, the infamous Summers pout again forming on her now kiss-swollen mouth. Spike chuckled, the sound turning to a resigned groan when Buffy heaved back the duvet and jumped out of bed with restless energy.

As soon as they made an appearance in the kitchen, they found a scowling Wood awaiting them. Buffy gulped, looking down and kicking her feet like a naughty child. Spike just cocked his head, one eyebrow rising as his mouth thinned into a tight line, beginning to pace as though he were a caged animal.

“Explain.” The one, soft word was like a bell tolling the last stroke of midnight.

The Slayer sighed, slumping suddenly into a chair. Wood lowered himself more gracefully into his own, Buffy remaining standing as she backed away slowly. A glare from the tall Watcher was all it took to make her still, biting her lip as her eyes widened innocently.

Spike explained what he could, quiet comments from Buffy filling in the blanks. When he was finished, the room was held in tense silence. Slowly, the dark eyes turned on the blonde vampiress, burning with fury. He rose, towering over her, his voice booming from the area above her head.

“You knew my Slayer was in danger, and you didn’t tell me? Is there some last loyalty to your family that we should know about?”

His voice had dropped to a threatening hiss, but at the subtle accusation her eyes flashed silver, her lips curling back in a snarl. “That’s not fair! You don’t know half of what I went through with them. The Ritual would have killed you! Your body couldn’t have withstood Krethin’s magic. Spike was safe, but only because he was the object of our fight. God, men are so useless!”

She stomped to the door, intending to storm out despite the fact that it was full daylight. She reached for the handle, throwing the door open only to come face-to-face with a smiling Cecily. Buffy gaped, Spike coming up behind her only to stop and stare too.

“Hi. Can I come in?”

Wood, recognizing her voice from his perch on the couch, called an invitation. As Cecily swept past her, Buffy froze. The tingling at the nape of her neck screamed ‘vampire!’ but the girl had been outside in the sunlight. Focusing on the sounds around her, she tuned in to the ringleted young woman’s body noises.

Spike was surprised to find himself tackled away from Cecily by a fully vamped-out and snarling Buffy. He looked at her where she was straddling his chest, delicate fangs bared, then up at his smirking ex. Shoving the vampiress rudely away, he rose and shot her a scowl.

“What in the bloody ‘ell was that for?”

Buffy shot up, placing herself firmly in front of him, arms folded. “She,” the venomous emphasis on the word made him cringe, “Is a vampire.” Suddenly the former Slayer frowned. “She’s family?

Wood snorted. “Buffy, I think you need to go and rest. Cecily was outside. In the sunlight. She can’t possibly…”

Buffy, furious, whirled to face Spike. When he merely shrugged in agreement and offered his ex an apologetic smile, she grunted in disgust. Striding forward, she cocked back a fist and slammed it into Cecily’s nose. The girl’s head snapped back as Spike leaped forward, throwing Buffy into the wall as he frantically tried to find out if Cecily’s neck was broken; while he didn’t like the girl, that was no reason for Buffy to kill her.

To his shock, Cecily merely giggled. Her head slowly tipped forwards. Glowing amber eyes locked onto his as she gave a toothy grin, and he backed away in horror just as she snapped at his neck. Then Buffy was there, a small knee smashing into her opponent’s stomach. When the fledgling doubled over, a fist cracked into her jaw, sending her reeling.

In a moment Buffy was there, gripping the taller vampiress by the arms as she let her demon growl furiously. Her voice was a tight snarl. “You need to respect your elders. The Aurelius clan does not tolerate impudent upstarts like you. Who is your Sire?”

The men looked on, the fact that Buffy considered herself to be a member of the infamous family shocking and sickening them. Cecily cowered under the force of Buffy’s regal glare; she may have had a snooty, superior attitude as a human, but she was still a babe in the vampire world, unable to remain silent in the face of such a demanding question.

“Darla.”

Buffy grinned, eyes glinting with feral delight at the thought of hurting her grandsire. Reading the intent in her elder sister’s eyes, Cecily shrieked and began pleading. Ignoring the babbling, the former Slayer gripped the ringlets the girl had prided herself on, twisting until she heard the tell-tale ‘pop!’ The younger vampire crumbled to dust, the silence broken by a metallic tinkling as something dropped to the floor.

Buffy bent, picking it up and examining it. Her eyes widened as she slowly turned. Giles, sleep-tousled and polishing his glasses absentmindedly, wandered barefoot into the room.

“Some of us are jet-lagged and are trying to sleep. Could you keep the-” Seeing what Buffy held, he promptly paled and dropped his glasses. “Oh good Lord.”