Giles handed them the book he’d found on Wood’s desk, as well as the few bits of paper that he littered the younger man’s floor. Spike was too deeply shocked to do anything, let alone read Wood’s neat, small handwriting. Buffy took the paper, reading aloud for the whole group to hear.

Spike, Giles and Buffy

If I’m not back by sunrise, Darla will have claimed the next generation of my family. Giles, guide Spike on his path for me. Buffy, if you ever hurt him I’ll haunt you for an eternity, but make sure he looks after himself. And Spike, my Slayer. It has been an honour to work with so courageous and determined a soul. Never give up hope; work on that damned right high kick until it hurts, or I swear to every god I know that I’ll follow you for as long as it takes!

Yours faithfully,

Robin Wood.


Buffy looked up, one eyebrow cocked in confusion. Giles rubbed the bridge of his nose wearily, handing her one of the scraps of paper. It held an image of Darla, fangs bared, as she stood in the shadow of a sneering Angelus, Drusilla portrayed kneeling at her Daddy’s feet, hands clasped piously as she snarled.

Still confused, Buffy again raised questioning eyes to her former Watcher’s. He handed her the final piece of paper, yellowed with age and countless stains, wrinkled as though it had been screwed up and reopened time after time. Examining it, she began to read aloud again, Spike’s already pale face gone sickly white.

Darla, favourite Childe of the Master of the Aurelian line, descended from the great prophet Aurelius, is considered to be one of the most dangerous vampires of the time. She has survived attempts on her life, such as it is, by our Council and by ambitious members of her own species.

None of these attempts have succeeded hitherto. Darla continues to run rampant over the world, bringing terror to its people. She has fought and killed four Slayers that we know of in the last century, the latest addition to the list being Nikki Wood, who lost her life rescuing a child from the monster’s claws. May she rest in peace.


The page was torn there, as if the rest of the document was of no interest to the reader. Spike seemed to have collected himself, and though his hands shook as he folded the papers into neat squares and slipped them into his pocket, he was calm. It was only the muscle jumping in his jaw and the way his blue eyes burned in his pale face that told Buffy he was planning something rash.

Brushing past Giles, the Slayer strode into the training room, returning a few minutes later with a heavy axe in one hand and a stake in the other. He made for the door, only to find a bruised but determined Watcher blocking the way. Buffy slid past him and into the training room.

“Move.”

Giles shook his head slowly, the menace in the younger man’s soft voice making him momentarily shudder. “I’m sorry, Spike, but I can’t let you go alone.” The Slayer’s nostrils flared as he inhaled furiously, only to find the Watcher stepping aside. “However, I can let you go with company.”

Spike swung around, his eyes softening as they settled on Buffy, wielding a sword he’d never seen before. He traced its delicate, deadly outline, thoroughly impressed by both its beauty and the strength that shimmered with every twitch of the blade. This was a weapon designed not to maim, but to kill. Seeing the direction of his stare, the blonde vampiress shrugged.

“I sent Angel to Hell with this sword. There’s no reason I can’t do it again.”

He saw the flash of pain in her eyes at the memory, but he pushed his sensitivities aside for later. Spinning, he stalked outside, leaving Buffy to smile reassuringly at Giles before she followed suit, the muffled thud of the door closing sending an ominous shiver through her. Without a word, they began to run.

****

Darla looked down at the crumpled figure of the dark-skinned Watcher, shaking her head and tutting with disappointment. Lifting his unconscious weight effortlessly, she smiled and ran her tongue possessively up the scratch that marked one side of his neck, his blood spiced with anger on her tongue.

About to sink her teeth in, she paused and looked up. Angelus stared back at her, the beginnings of a smirk twisting his lips as a plan developed in his agile mind. He could feel his wayward Childe drawing closer, drawn by her ties to the Slayer, coming to rescue his friend and guide.

Darla, reading her mate’s intent with practiced ease, sighed and dropped the body, the meaty thump as it landed making her purr her satisfaction. Grabbing him by the wrists, she dragged Wood over to the wall and clasped the same manacles they’d used so many times on Buffy around his thick wrists. Ripping his shirt away, she grinned and lifted the sword he’d brought with him.

****

Buffy and Spike had reached the mansion. The Slayer paused, preparing to kick the door open, when his girlfriend’s arm shot out in front of him. He turned to look at her, only to find her eyes closed as she sniffed. When she turned to face him and opened her eyes, they glowed hard silver in the darkness.

“This way.”

Her voice was so quiet he barely heard it, and it was unnerving to find that when she hugged the shadows at the side of the house, he couldn’t see her. Only the faint light of her eyes stared unblinkingly at him whenever she turned, a shiver coursing through him at this stark reminder of what she was.

Finally she came to an abrupt halt, neatly sidestepping him just before he walked into her. She vanished from view completely for a moment, only to reappear pacing noiselessly under a dim light. The back door she’d found swung open at the slightest push, and once inside she turned to face him.

“Go that way. Once you’re out into the hallway, find the flight of stairs. Go up to the next floor, turn right, then he should be in the fourth door on your left. Be careful. Darla’s waiting for you there.”

Spike nodded, before his brow crinkled in puzzlement. “What’ll you be doing, pet?”

He could almost see her lips turning up in a cold smile as her silver eyes flashed at him from the shadows. Her disembodied voice carried back to him as she slid away into the shadows. “I’m going to find Angelus.”