“…You’re living on the edge between darkness and light, and either way you turn it’s going to burn you until there’s nothing left.”

The last word was a roar as he sprang forwards, his hands gripping either side of her head. Their eyes met, his alight with triumph. She felt his fingers tighten in her hair, felt Spike’s anguish as he realised what was happening. And then he twisted, and the world went black.

Then white light burst behind her eyelids, followed by agony that made her scream as it ripped through her every nerve. A distant cracking registered as her spine twisted, the bones realigning even as she realised she should be dust in the wind. Angelus had jumped back, his cold eyes suddenly wide with shock and confusion.

The blinding pain began to ebb, though she felt sick and dizzy. Her vision finally cleared to find Spike had rushed to her side, his face tight with the echoes of her pain, coming to him through their bond. He looked confused and terrified, gripping her shoulders hard enough to bruise as she absently shook the kinks from her neck.

Rising, she gently pushed her lover and mate aside; this was her fight. Angelus snarled incredulously, something akin to fear flashing in his golden eyes. “What the fuck happened have you done?”

Smiling, her eyes glittering despite the pitch black, she slowly raised a hand. The Gem of Amara stood out even in the darkness, a bulky, sharply angular mass against the gentle contours of her delicate hand. His eyes fixed on it, understanding dawning. It was followed shortly by a growl of confused fury.

“The Slayer’s bitch was wearing that when we sent her to you. How?”

Buffy smiled coldly. “Here’s the interesting thing, Angelus. I wondered that myself for a while, but I asked Giles about it and he gave me the answer. I died. Buffy Summers died that night on top of the tower, and the world effectively cancelled out its knowledge of my existence. When I was pulled back by Jenny, something went wrong. According to the world, and everything in it, I still don’t exist. I can negate the Gem’s power.”

His eyes glinted at her as he shifted closer, stalking her in a circle, though she refused to turn and watch him like a frightened victim, merely opening her senses to him. “It still has an effect on you, and anyone else who wants a piece, but I can reach through its power.” She grinned savagely. “Neat, huh?”

“So,” she continued as he lunged for her, meeting him with a stunning kick to the jaw that sent him flying back to crash into the wall, “I hope your bitches saved you a seat in Hell.”

****

Back at Wood’s apartment, everything was ready. Dawn, Tara and Giles sat in a circle, hands linked. The Key gave the nervous witch a reassuring smile, all their eyes falling momentarily to the crystal at the heart of their spell. The colours shifted over its surface as though it were oil, making anyone who stared too long nauseous. Tara remembered Giles explaining its power to them.

“Ordinarily, if we were to use the original curse, I would have found an Orb of Thesulah. However, time and the circumstances have changed since the original attempt to restore Angel’s soul. This,” he paused, holding up the dark crystal, “Is Tsugasawodv Ulsiga.”

Dawn, whose eyes were locked on the slick-looking stone, shuddered. She could feel the tendrils of its magic sweeping across her skin, recognising something that seemed older even than her own power. Eventually the cool caresses stopped, and she tuned back in to what the Watcher was saying.

“The Tear of Darkness, as it is called in English, is a stone that is neither good nor evil, though it has a power all its own. If, when its magic is invoked, it deems Angel worthy, his soul will be restored. If not,” his face hardened and became bleak, “He will be consumed by the darkness and sucked inside the stone for an eternity.”

After his cold, blunt announcement, there was a long silence. Then Dawn clapped her hands, a delicate brow lifting. “Well, no pressure there, Angel. Let’s get this show on the road.”


Dawn nudged Tara gently with a slender shoulder to get her attention. “It’s time.”

Nodding, the usually timid Wicca took a deep breath and squared her shoulders, her chin rising. Everybody tightened their grips, raising their arms slightly in supplication while keeping their hands firmly joined. Tara closed her eyes, exhaled anxiously, and began to chant in Latin, not understandable to those watching silently, though the three spell-casters each knew the meaning of the words.

“Hades, audite meus placitum.”

Hades, hear my plea.

“Permissum ut quod eram lost exsisto reverto.”

Let that which was lost be returned.

“Permissum ut quod exsisto recidivus.”

Let that which belongs be restored.

“Per meus mos ego accersitus vos, per meus vox ego ordo vos”

By my will I have called thee, by my power I command thee.

“Solvo quod reverto!”

Release and return!

The Tear of Darkness began to shudder, at first only a tiny vibration but rapidly becoming a violent shaking. Dawn and Giles gasped, their concentration wavering, as they felt the influence of the stone fill their minds. The Key battled for dominance before submitting to the will of the stone. Dawn, used to the power, merely shivered with the eerie sensation.

Giles, however, had not experienced such powerful magic since his rebellious ‘Ripper’ days. The blackness of the stone filled him, bringing with it a wild euphoria he had all but forgotten. Its power bathed him in coolness, making his muscles tremble as he fought not to rip his hands away and wreak havoc on the world.

As though she sensed his turmoil, Dawn gripped his hand tighter. She’d been afraid of this, his reaction to the inexorable strength of the artefact. Separating the part of her that was the Key, she soothed his wild impulses. Giles, suddenly recalling the need for concentration, closed his eyes against the rush of adrenaline flooding his body.

Tara, feeling their silent support, let the magic flow through her body. Her head fell back as the powerful forced swirled within her, her eyes widening as they glowed a beautiful silver, much like Buffy’s, only softer somehow. Her body was suddenly covered in a gentle, white light and she smiled, her voice strong in the sudden silence.

“Is est perfectus.”

It is done.

As the energy left her in a rush, the young witch slumped back, exhausted. Giles steadied himself, feeling dizzy and fatigued. Dawn, while tired and a little off-balance after experiencing the awe-inspiring might of the stone, closed her eyes and concentrated hard. Slowly the image swam into focus in her mind, a cold smile forming on her lips. In the mansion, Angelus screamed.