Two months later…

Spike arrived home after patrol, fully expecting everyone to be asleep, with the possible exception of his girlfriend. Hell, she was a vampire. Although her schedule had been suitably adjusted to overlap with his, she slept more easily during the daylight hours now that the threat from her family had been nullified.

After they’d made their way out of the mansion, the vampire and her Slayer had walked in silence. However, when they’d pushed open the door and stepped into Wood’s crowded apartment, Buffy had given a gasp of shocked amazement. The woman had looked strained with worry before their return, but her face transformed into a surprisingly youthful one when she smiled.

“Mom?” Buffy’s voice was a high-pitched squeak as she swayed on her feet, the after-effects of her battle with her former lover suddenly taking their toll.

Joyce Summers had rushed to embrace her daughter, careful not to press on the scrapes and bruises that littered her body. At first Spike had been a little put out; surely he wouldn’t have to share his Buffy with everyone from her past? Not that he minded her mother being here, but in that moment all he wanted was to carry her to his bed, lecture her about foolish vampires who got their necks broken, then bury himself inside her and hold on and never let go.

However, Joyce had then turned to him with a watery but bright smile. Embracing him with almost as much warmth as she had her daughter, she held his stunned, rigid body with motherly affection. When she drew back, her lined face was wet with tears and she was beaming at him gratefully. Taking her hands in his, she gave them a squeeze.

“You rescued my daughter from those monsters. I’ll never be able to thank you enough.”

Now, two months on, Spike and Joyce shared ‘Cocoa Wednesdays’. Buffy’s mother was an expert at making thick, home-made hot chocolate. She always added mini marshmallows to his, too, and the pair were often found happily ensconced in the kitchen, gossiping like a pair of old ladies.

Dawn and Buffy had been unsurprised when their mother had announced that she was finally going to start dating Giles, despite the fact that they were advancing rapidly towards being the wrong side of middle-aged. Dawn seemed to accept it perfectly fine, but while his girl was supportive of their relationship, any displays of intimacy in public garnered an adorable scrunched-up nose and a loud ‘Ewww!’

Wood and Dawn, too, had moved into a steady and loving relationship. It was obvious that the beautiful young woman had the besotted Watcher wrapped firmly around her little finger, the tall man following her everywhere and hovering over her protectively every time she ventured outside at night.

Oz and Willow had returned two weeks after Angel’s dusting, still as in love as ever. While they’d been away, the now black-haired werewolf had obviously proposed, and his redheaded lover never seemed to stop smiling. Buffy privately thought that that had something to do with the huge diamond her finger was now proudly sporting.

Anya and Xander had vanished completely, leaving everyone to worry until Spike’s keen eyes caught sight of the note left on the young man’s rumpled bed. In typical Anya fashion, the former demon had dragged Xander off to Las Vegas in a shock elopement. They had returned the previous day, happily married and unafraid to display the more physical aspects of their relationship to anyone who had the misfortune of catching them.

Tara had recently met a slightly older woman at her Wicca gatherings. She was only two years the girl’s senior, and a gentle and wise woman, but she was firm and enthusiastic, with none of the crippling shyness the witch displayed. Though her somewhat flirtatious behaviour ha concerned the Scoobies at first, it soon became clear that Ama was head-over-heels in love with Tara; they made a striking couple.

Finally Spike’s thoughts turned to his own relationship with Buffy. Although he only admitted it privately, his mate had him completely whipped. Their bond had only become stronger as each day passed, their few arguments only serving to heighten their passion. In the last few days, however, she’d been acting suspiciously closed-off, even blocking his attempts at feeling out her emotions through their mental link.

So it was with some trepidation that he pushed open the door after a successful night’s slaying to find Buffy and Dawn in the middle of a heated discussion. He took a moment to absorb the enchanting beauty that was his angry mate; her eyes flashed green fire, flecked with silver as her temper got the better of her. Her lips were turned down in a tempting pout, her hair sparkling with honeyed light as she tossed her head angrily.

Coming up behind her, he wrapped strong arms around her waist, momentarily distracting her by nuzzling at his claiming marks on her neck. Her body melted back against him, a purr vibrating through her back and to his chest. He felt himself hardening in response, burying his nose in her hair and inhaling her vanilla scent, striving to control the waves of lust swamping his senses.

Sensing his arousal through their bond, she shot him a wicked smile before her brows drew together in a scowl. She rounded on a grinning Dawn, who was looking disturbingly unconcerned by her sister’s tantrum.

“It’s your fault! I know you did this.”

Dawn shrugged elegantly. “I’m not saying I didn’t.”

“When?!”

“The night before you went charging off to fight Angelus.”

“And you only thought to tell me after I discovered it for myself?”

Dawn laughed, patting her pouting sibling on the head gently. “You’re welcome, Buffy. Now tell the big lug what you’re talking about before he bursts.”

Buffy turned to the Slayer as her sister quietly left the room, shutting the door behind her. For a moment her expression remained set in a darkly irritated scowl, before it melted into a smile so soft and tender it made the breath catch in his throat. Taking an increasingly nervous Spike by the hand, she led him to the sofa. Once she was settled on her knee, she turned to face him, that beautiful smile widening.

She took a deep breath. “Spike… I’m pregnant.”

“What?!”

****

A/N: So that's it folks, my first fic is done. Tell me what you all thought. As you can see, I've left enough room for a sequel there. I'd be grateful if you'd tell me if you thought it was worth writing one. Many thanks to everyone who has reviewed, with special mention to CordyKitten, DaniD and gaillee. Hope you all enjoyed it!

~DaG