24/24 (means 24hr nursing care in medical jargon, ie one on one care)

Three days later…

Behind the nurses’ desk, Buffy worked on the medicine charts, recharting medications for Dr. Childs’ patients, it was a tedious job but one she wanted to get done quickly before lunch. It was already 1300hrs (1.00 pm) and she was starving, her stomach had already growled at her today in protest. It was bad enough that she wasn’t getting enough sleep, and now she wasn’t getting enough to eat. The sleep could be explained as he haunted her mind in the darkness. He would bring her so close each night to nirvana but either the dream would end abruptly as she awoke, him fading away or worse would be he would refuse to let her come dragging out her pleasure until she awoke from the frustration.

Food was being withheld as she tried to do everything she could for Dr. Childs’ patients on the eighth floor so that she could either not have to come back all day, or just return for the short periods when the nurses needed her. Buffy knew he was on afternoon shift, as he had his two days off and hadn’t been on this morning, and she still couldn’t face him or come to terms with what had happened between them and the things that she had allowed him to do to her. Every delicious thing that he had done to her was still marred with darkness and it recked with bleakness. It also had done something to Buffy, that she had yet to fully accept or understand, but she had deep desire to embrace it over and over again as stupid as that sounded.

Her thoughts had shielded her from the commotion that was going on around the nurses’ station, many of the people who sat behind the desk had become quiet and looked shocked. Buffy’s ears tried to listen in on the conversation that was going on between the two women that sat directly opposite her. She could make out words like, ‘overtime’, ‘accident’, ‘hurt bad’, ‘bike’, and ‘time off’, but what made her drop the chart that she held was ‘William’. Buffy could feel the bile rise to her throat as she pieced the words together and bent down to pick up the chart She made eye contact with one of the nurses that sat opposite her. The nurse looked at her with an odd expression, and got out of her chair making her way out from the nurses’ station. She looked at Buffy over her shoulder and motioned her with her hand to follow her as she disappeared into a private room.

Buffy looked around her to make sure that no one was watching as she put the chart back into the metal stand and left the nurses station. She tried to look as nonchalant as she could as she made her way into the room to where the woman waited for her. The nurse stood over an elderly lady that slept, and pulled the bed covers over her that seemed to have slipped off, she turned after completing the task. Her nametag caught her eye, the letters formed the name ‘Kirsty’ on it, as the woman came over to where Buffy stood and passed her as she shut the door.

“This really isn’t the place to have this conversation, but Mrs. Bateman won’t mind she’s as deaf as a post and sleeps like the dead.” Kirsty shook her head, “Oops I shouldn’t say that either, but she’s a sweetie.”

“Does she need anything?” Buffy made her way over to the sleeping woman. “I don’t remember her being on rounds today? Is she a new patient of Dr. Childs?”

“No, she’s Dr. McGuigan’s.” Kirsty looked at Buffy with a slight scowl. “She’s not the reason that I got you in here.”

“Then what is?”

“William.”

Buffy went quiet for a minute, she didn’t really now what to say to the nurse. “What about him?”

“I saw you.”

Buffy’s mouth opened in shock, this woman had seen her and Spike having sex in the physical therapy room, just the thought that someone was watching them made the blood drain from her face. She could only wonder if she heard the exchange of words that had flown bitterly between them afterwards. “What do you mean saw us? What did you see?”

Kirsty scrunched her face up as she digested what Dr. Summers had just said to her, and it dawned on her rather quickly what she meant or what she thought that Buffy was implying what she might have seen. The nurse smirked and smiled at the petite woman in front of her. At least it would make the next part of their conversation easy and she wouldn’t have to interrogate the young doctor about her relationship with William.

“What I saw, Dr. Summers was you following quickly behind William the other night up towards the staircase to the upper floors that no one uses.” Kirsty let out a little laugh as she continued. “So I think it safe to assume that you didn’t go up there to see any patients,” she watched as Buffy went a shade of red that filled her face. “What you do is your own business and no one else’s, but this is important and I can see that no one has told you, or you won’t be here.”

“Umm, sorry Kirsty, but you’ve lost me?”

“It’s Will, his been in an accident today, he came off his bike coming to work. I don’t know how badly his been hurt but he’s down in the E.R., so I think that you better get down there.”

“But…but you don’t...”

“But nothing Dr. Summers, I’ll tell Karen when she gets here that you’re downstairs with your man.”

“He’s...”

“Enough Buffy! Just get your ass down there! Karen will understand.”

Buffy turned, opened the door and left the room leaving behind a very mistaken nurse with her patient, but she could still feel a strong pull to go downstairs and make sure that he was all right. As crazy as it seemed to seek out the man that had caused such animosity within herself, it drove her to the edge of insanity but she couldn’t stop herself. Taking the elevator down to the E.R., she continued to chide herself about her decision to go and see him, but she couldn’t stop each foot-step or swing of her body, as she made her way to her destination.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“I want to go home!” Spike argued with the After Hours nursing manager that was trying to tell him that he was being admitted for observation.

“William you need to be here and you know it! You have no one to care for you at home, and make sure you’re okay. Therefore, you stay!”

“I’ll be all right! No broken bones or concussion. I was wearing my helmet, so no brain injury and you know it!” Spike continued to argue with her. “I’ll be fine, got a good neighbour next door. She’ll come over and make sure that I’m all right.”

“I’m sure that she will!” the manager smiled a little. “But not good enough, you need someone with you 24 hours and no arguing!”

“Look it was just a simple accident! The idiot didn’t see me and just knocked me over when I was stationary, only real damage was to the bike.” A soft laughter came from behind the curtain that surrounded the patient and nurse manager. “Laugh it up!” Spike grunted in disgust at someone laughing at his predicament.

With a swift motion of her hand, Buffy swung the curtain that hid her to reveal her presence to the two. Spike looked slightly shocked to see her standing there, which quickly flickered over his face and then disappeared just as fast. It was replaced by a hardened face, which stretched so much that you could see the muscles twitch in his cheeks, and his jugular vein pop up with his rise in blood pressure. Buffy looked from Spike to the nursing manger, she slightly shrugged her shoulders, rolled her eyes and frowned a little, with a ‘what’s his problem’ look in her eyes. “Constantly Spike! You always provide such entertainment!”

“What do you want?” Spike virtually spat at her.

“Well that’s a loaded question if I ever heard one!” Buffy smiled at the nursing managers blushing face. “What did you do? Dent another car?”

“Who the fu...” Spike stopped himself before he swore in front of his manager.

“Spike!” Buffy tried to cover his little outburst, realising that maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. “Please!”

“Well, looks like you too have some things to talk about. I’ll just leave now.” The managers’ discomfort was clear for both of them to see. “William let me know what happens okay, and don’t forget to get those insurance papers filled out so that you’ll get paid.”

“Sure. Thanks.” Simple and straight to the point, he didn’t even look at the retreating woman, he only held Buffy in his stare, if it was possible she’d be pinned to the wall with daggers. When she was out of hearing range he started on her. “What do you want? Wait don’t answer that! I know, but sorry sweetheart, looks like I’m out of commission so you’ll have to get your jollies elsewhere. They say that Ben’s worth a try, but hang on he’s a doctor, and you doctors only like to bag the nurses don’t you?”

“Spike!”

“At least you remember the name.” Spike looked away, she finally was free of his intense gaze and able to have a real look at him. He looked even paler against the white linen of the sheets that lay above and below him, he’d never tan with that classic English skin, but still he looked dreadful. The white gown wasn’t doing much for his fashion sense as well, Buffy let out a little laugh. “Will you stop with the laughing?”

“Did the big bad man hurt himself?” Buffy couldn’t help herself.

“Look shows over just go back to whatever you doing and stop annoying me!”

“Sorry! I just wanted to make sure you were okay! The story was you got hurt really bad, and I’m sorry for having a millisecond of human concern for you!” Buffy was really pissed off and turned away as she started to walk away from him. She was quickly stopped by one of the on duty E.R. registrars that had been attending Spike that shift, Buffy tried to side step him, but the doctor put up one of his hands and stopped her.

“Buffy what are you doing here? Aren’t you meant to be looking after Childs’ patients?” The registrar asked as he looked over the young woman with a look that Spike didn’t like, it was one of those ‘here for my pleasure only’ looks, one that he’d never like to see in a man.

“Yes Dr. Hepburn, but Spike’s…”

“Nothing, Dr. Summers, you have no reason to be down here. Mr. Devine or is that Sister Devine is not under Dr. Childs care?” The doctor’s sarcasm was thick and laced with indignation towards the man that lay on the gurney as he openly leered at her. “So can I suggest you go about your business and leave the real doctoring to us down here, and maybe if your good, when you come down for your rotation I’ll take real good care of you.”

“She doesn’t need ‘real good care’ mate!” Spike started to get out of the gurney despite the pain he felt, “I can guarantee that she gets satisfied every time. So fuck off you git!”

“Spike!” Buffy spoke in a quiet voice her concern and fear. “He’s not worth it!”

“Who do you think you are Devine!”

“Please Spike! He’s not worth it!” Buffy warned again.

“I’ll make you sorry Devine!” Hepburn threatened him.

“You and whose army?” Spike swung his legs over the gurney, despite Buffy attempts to stop him.

“I’m sure…” Hepburn was interrupted by the nurse manager that had been watching the whole scene. Everyone knew that Hepburn was a problem and she could see the situation was getting out of control. The last thing she wanted was a punch up in the E.R., especially between two staff members.

“Well Dr. Summers, I’ve spoken with Human Resource and considering the situation that you and your young man finds yourselves in, I’ve managed to get your shifts covered for the rest of the week.” It was a lie but worth it, she’d have to pull in some big favours and owe some people big time, but it was worth the small price to see that weasel Hepburn go down, even once. “So come on you two love birds go home, get him to bed with lots of spoilage, lots of fluids and no whoopee!”

Spike watched as Buffy went a bright red, but she didn’t dare contradict the nurse manager or she could only imagine the crap she’d get from Hepburn in the future. Even though she had an inkling that this wasn’t the last time that she’d be having trouble from him. Buffy knew by instinct that she’d rather deal with an irate Spike, than a man like Hepburn. Strangely enough, she genuinely trusted the platinum blonde he’d never forced himself on her or did anything to her that she hadn’t let him do in the depths of the darkest moments they’d shared. What could he do to her?

Buffy watched a very defeated Hepburn get the message and leave the two standing by the gurney ready to restrain the man that sat on it. Spike looked like he wanted to tear Hepburn into small bits and as painfully as possible. They were all glad to see the back of the doctor as he retreated further into the depths of the E.R.

“Okay kiddies you two get to ‘Go and collect $200’, so don’t waste it. Dr. Summers take your patient home please and make sure he goes straight to bed. I’m sure that I don’t have to tell you what you have to do?”

“No, and thanks for the rescue.” Buffy spoke quietly to the nurse as she too retreated into the administration area of the E.R.

“Don’t I get one, Luv?”

“One what?”

“Thanks for being a gentleman and defending your honour?”

“You wish!”

“Such a polite thing that you are cutie,” Spike pulled himself up and leaned into her until he could whisper into her ear, “but then again we know you can say please. It would be a great pleasure of mine to teach you ‘thank you’.”

Buffy pulled back and looked at him like she wanted to rip of his head, and shove it down his throat; she was seething. The look on her face reflected the response he expected from his sharp tongue, but within the satisfaction of knowing he touched a raw nerve he knew that it was uncalled for, and maybe he was the ‘bastard’ she loved to call him. The damn woman had the ability to draw out the gentlemen and git from him, which was something that no one had been able to do for a long time, it made it exhilarating and barmy at the same time. Not to mention down right bloody confusing. At least one thing was true in this whole situation: she was satisfied every time.

A short time later, a clerk had brought his discharge papers for him and told the ‘couple’ that they could go. Stuck with the job it would appear of taking him home, she paged Dr. Childs before she left, and explained the situation as best she could to her boss, leaving out some important things and telling some white lies. Well, white lies that would get her out of here and the rest of the day off if she could swing it. Coming back to him, she pulled the curtains around the gurney and waited for him to dress.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Slowly she walked him from her car and up the front stairs to a two-story house that was on the nice side of town, and not something she would expect him to live in. She really had expected a townhouse or an apartment, not a family home and it just showed her that looks could be deceiving. A shudder flashed through her body as she considered that is was what it really was, a family home. Had she done the most unimaginable thing possible to her and slept with a married man? Had he knowingly as a married man slept with her?



He was leaning on her shoulders as he slowly hobbled up towards the house, took the keys out of what remained of his leather jacket and let them in. The house was neat and clean, she could smell the beeswax from the wooden staircase that was in main hallway of the house. She could just make out the kitchen with the dinning room and living room coming directly off the hallway. Buffy looked for signs of someone else in the house but could find none; she still stood in the hallway as Spike moved into the living room and sat down.

“You can come in, I won’t bite.” Spike turned his head a little and said more to himself, “If you ask nicely I will.”

“God, you sound like an animal!”

“Well, Dr. Summers, such a response from a highly regarded member of the hospital.”

“Fine, Spike, whatever! You’re home! I’m done! Have a nice life!” Buffy turned to exit the house.

“Hey! Wait a minute!” Spike yelled at her. “Where are you going?”

“What does it look like, Spike? Need me to draw or write it out for you, or is the obvious one foot in front of the other hint enough?” Buffy started to walk out. “Buffy. Door. Open. Leave. Now. Or does the five words or less description do it for you?”

“Hey, you promised to keep an eye on me!” Spike ran a hand down his chest, “Help look after me, and if I remember you agreed to give 24 hour care lovingly to ‘your man’.”

Remembering the nurse managers words, and that she had by not saying anything to contradict her, agreed to take him home and make sure that he lived the next few days. Buffy paused, she wasn’t sure if he was more at risk from dying from a hit on the head from falling of the bike. Or her taking a baseball bat to his head, pleading insanity from listening to his witty comments.

“That’s right I promised to make sure that you went straight to bed when you got home,” Buffy tried as hard as she could to make it as seductive as she could, two could play at this game. “With lots of spoilage.”

Buffy closing the door that she now stood before, she walked into the living room and helped him to his feet. Buffy hid a snicker as he suddenly became like a helpless puppy and wanted her help to walk, once again he wrapped his arm around her as they made their way upstairs under Spikes’ directions to the master bedroom. She helped him sit down on the bed but quickly turned around as he pulled his dirty scrub shirt from his body, he could sense her slight withdrawal. “That’s right, you and your blushing eyes!”

“Blushing eyes? I don’t know what on earth you’re going on about!” Buffy stumbled out her sentence.

“You get this really slight reddish tinge to your skin and you cast your eyes down for just a second when you get embarrassed. It’s rather cute,” Spike spoke to her back. “But there’s no need to hide, Luv, you’ve seen the goods anyway?” Buffy heard the further rustle of fabric as he removed his pants and the bed covers move as he climbed in under them.

She finally turned at this point to see him sitting against the headboard of the bed; she reluctantly came and sat down on the other side of the bed, wondering again how she got herself in this mess. Yet she’d promised that she’d look after him, so that’s what she’d do, and she’d do it as annoyingly as possible. “Look Spike, let’s just get this over and done with okay, and I’ll let you have a nice sleep, okay?”

“But Luv….” Spike started to protest.

“Spike enough!” Buffy leaned over and looked into his eyes making sure that they were of equal size, she really wished she had a torch then she could have shone it for a bit longer than she usually did and give him a little pay back. “Any headache, blurry vision, nausea, auras, pain in the ass or other personality disorders than what you don’t already have, Spike?”

“Oui!! The only pain in the ass I have is in front of me!” Spike laughed at her comments, at least she gave as good as she got, something that he didn’t think she had the strength too, or maybe he was seeing something in her that he’d never seen. Spike had seen desperation, desire, need and lust in her eyes but never this. This was something very new; she actually had some ‘backbone’.

“In that case I’ll extract the pain in the ass to downstairs to make the ass a cup of coffee and get something to eat. Hungry?”

“No.”

“No? You’re not nauseated are you?” Buffy asked with a great concern.

“No, sweetie, just not hungry. Go.” Spike titled his head towards the door.

“Alright, but if you need me or want anything just call out?”

“’Need and want. Do you really want the answer to that?”

“Another promise to your boss was no whoopee!” With that, Buffy walked out of the room and headed downstairs to satisfy at least one hunger.