Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much for allthe reviews. The angst is not gone yet, so sorry if you can't stand it, but you know that there's always sunshine after rain! And Riley isn't really that bad! Hope you enjoy this next update!

Thanks to my wonderful beta's for checking my story!
Chapter 27: Why don’t you believe me?


Buffy stared at the empty door frame trying to process what had just happened. It went all so fast, she was having a hard time getting her brain around it.

“What was that?” Riley asked.

“I’m sorry, Riley!” she said and then she ran out the door. She needed to catch up with Spike.

She ran down the stairs and looked around the pub. That’s when she saw him disappear out the back entrance. “Spike! Spike! Please listen to me. It’s not what you think.” She ran outside and saw him standing by his car. He looked up and saw her, and before she could say anything else he pulled open the car door and got in.

“Please, Spike, no! Please listen to me!” She was frantic now, tears of fear and frustration ran down her cheeks as she ran to the car.

“Leave me alone, Buffy. If you know what’s good for you, you will LEAVE ME ALONE!” he yelled and then slammed the door shut. He started the engine and sped off into the night.

Buffy watched as the taillights of the Desoto disappeared around the corner. She couldn’t move. She didn’t understand what had just happened. She didn’t even notice at first that it had started raining, how convenient. Feeling numb she turned around and walked back inside. She gave Paul a weak smile when he looked at her, concern clearly on his face, but she didn’t say anything to him. She walked slowly up the stairs back to her office.

Riley was standing at the same spot she’d left him when she’d ran out of the room. “I’m so sorry Buffy, I didn’t know.”

“I know. I never told you about my relationship with Spike. We’ve been together for a while now, even before I started working here. I should have told you,” she whispered hoarsely feeling more tears burning in the back of her eyes. “I’m sorry, but I need to go. I need to find him.”

“Buffy, wait. I know I’m not in the position to say this now, seeing as I have caused this in the first place, but I think you should let him cool off for a little while,” Riley said softly.

Buffy looked at him, the tears now freely flowing down her face. “I can’t lose him,” she whispered in defeat.

“Hopefully you won’t.”

XXXXX


Spike drove around as the tears cascaded down his cheeks. It had happened again, the woman he was in love with was cheating. His girl… his Buffy! He couldn’t take it anymore and stopped the car at the side of the road. Silent sobs wracked his body as he felt the true pain of her actions deep in his heart.

She had yelled that it didn’t mean anything, that it wasn’t what it seemed. It was crystal clear to him. She’d been kissing another guy. End of story. The guy being the one person he’d had his suspicions about ever since that first night he’d seen them coming down the staircase didn’t help either. She had lied to him then as well, telling him it was nothing to worry about.

He couldn’t deal, not again. He started the car again and drove off. His destination? The nearest liquor store.


XXXXX


Buffy tried to put the key in the lock. Her hands were shaking so much it wasn’t an easy task. Finally getting the job done she slowly walked into the dark apartment.

“Spike?” she called out softly. There was no response; the entire apartment was deadly quiet. She checked all the rooms and found no signs that Spike had been here. She dropped her keys on the table and sat down on the sofa. Tears started again as she thought of the moments they’d shared on that sofa. Moments of love and passion, comfortable silences, watching movies or just talking.

She crawled further on the sofa resting her head on the armrest, intending to wait for Spike’s arrival whenever that may be.

She must have fallen asleep, because when she woke up she saw a very pissed off and very drunken Spike hovering above her. Cold blue eyes stared into her green ones and she was suddenly slightly afraid of him.

“What the hell are you doing here? Didn’t I tell you the leave me alone?”

She sat up. “Spike, I’m here to explain. Please, listen to me.”

“You don’t need to explain anything to me, Buffy. It’s all perfectly clear. Now, I’m telling you to leave!” he yelled at her again.

Buffy felt tears running down her face, a mix of fear and sadness. She’d clearly hurt him, but he wouldn’t even listen to her explanation. How could she make him realize nothing was going on if he wouldn’t even let her talk?

“Spike, no, please. I’m sorry.”

“Shut up, bitch. I don’t want to hear any of your excuses.”

She looked at him, her eyes wide in shock. The venom in his words was more then she could take, she got up and walked to the door. “I’ll come back tomorrow,” she whispered softly as she walked out of his apartment.

“Don’t bother coming back again, Buffy. It’s over.”

Before she could say anything else, the door was slammed in her face. She slid down the wall, no longer able to hold off the gut-wrenching sobs that had been threatening the entire time. His words repeating over and over in her head.

‘It’s over.’

She put her hand against his door and whispered his name.


XXXXX

The days went by slowly. Buffy kept trying to contact Spike, but either he slammed down the phone or didn’t even pick up. She went to work as every other day and avoided most of the people there. She couldn’t avoid Paul though, and as she made her way over to him he gave her a sympathetic smile. She sat down on one of the chairs near the bar.

“How are you holding up Buffy?” he asked her gently.

“Not so good. He won’t even listen to me. How can I explain to him that it meant nothing?” She looked up at Paul with watery eyes. It was like she couldn’t stop them whenever she thought of Spike. “What am I going to do?”

“I don’t know Buffy.” She felt him put his arm around her and she willingly went into his embrace. “He hasn’t been in these last few days. He’s probably trying to avoid any confrontation. I can try and talk to him, get him to at least listen to you.”

Buffy looked up at him hopefully. “Would you do that for me?”

“Course Buffy. I don’t enjoy seeing you like this. And I know you never meant to hurt him, but remember he’s my friend too, and I won’t start taking sides in this matter. I will talk to him, but don’t expect me to try and explain this to him, that is up to you.”

“Thank you, Paul.” She smiled at him, the first genuine one she had in days. “I better go back up to finish some stuff.” As she got up from her chair she was assaulted by a dizzy spell. One hand went towards her head while the other tried to reach for something near. Luckily for her, Paul was still standing within arms reach and he caught her before she could fall.

“Ho there! Are you ok?”

She took a few deep breaths before she got herself back under control and stepped away from him. “I’m fine now… thanks. I guess it’s all been a bit too much lately.”

She walked away then, still feeling slightly dizzy.


======
pretty angsty i know, but i wanted to put some angst in this story to keep it more interesting. Please tell me what you think of this chapter as well !:)