Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much to everyone for reviewing, it really means a lot to me. The angst will stay for a little while longer, but don't worry, i will not keep you pained TOO long ;)
Chapter 28: Suspicions come true


“Spike! Open up, man.”

Spike opened his eyes slowly as he was awakened by loud banging. Raising his head slowly, he groaned in pain, the alcohol he’d consumed the night before clearly making itself known. Remembering why he’d once again drunken himself into oblivion, the pain in his heart returned as well.

“Spike, I know you’re in there. Open the door!” Spike knew the constant banging wouldn’t go away any time soon. Picking himself up from his sofa, he stumbled towards the door and pulled it open roughly.

“What?” he barked out. He was staring straight in the eyes of his first barman. And he knew Paul well enough to know that he wouldn’t back down. The two stood in silence and eventually Spike sighed and sidestepped so he could let Paul walk into his home.

Bottles were spread around the place everywhere. The curtains were drawn and the apartment was cloaked in darkness. The heady smell of alcohol was thickening the air and remnants of pre-package food items were scattered amongst the bottles and spread out all over the floor

Paul pulled open the curtains and Spike groaned at the bright light filling the room.

“What are you doing here, Paul?”

“I could ask you the same thing. You haven’t been in work in days. It doesn’t get done by itself you know.”

Spike scowled at him knowing fully well how things were. “I’ve been busy,” he growled.

“Yeah, drinking yourself into oblivion. It’s not helping you solve your problems.”

”Yeah well, it helps make me forget.”

“It doesn’t go away though, the moment you realize it’s true, the same feeling comes back to you.” Paul looked at him pointedly to which Spike just glowered.

“You don’t know what happened, you weren’t there.”

“No, I don’t. But I do see a very distressed woman come to the pub every day with hope in her eyes that you might be there.”

Spike looked away from Paul when the image of Buffy formed in his head.

“Spike… you have to talk to her. Give her the chance to explain herself.”

A disbelieving look crossed Spike’s face. “You’re taking her side?”

“I’m not taking anyone’s side, Spike, but I hate seeing both my friends in pain.”

They were both silent after that.

“Give her a chance.”

And with that he walked out of the door.


XXXXX


Buffy was still in bed. When she’d come home the day before, she’d been so exhausted that she’d fallen asleep as soon as her head hit the pillow. She’d only just had had the energy to strip off her clothes and crawl into bed, but now it was time to get up.

As she walked into the bathroom, she looked at herself in the mirror. Her tired eyes looked back at her. She sighed and turned on her shower to get ready for another day at work.

An hour later, she walked into the pub looking around to see if any of the staff were around. As expected, Paul was already at his bar.

“Hey Buffy, how are you feeling?”

She smiled tiredly at him. “I’m ok thanks, just a bit tired.”

“You' take it easy. All right?” He smiled at her.

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine,” she said, making her way towards the stairs.


Hours later, she came back down after having finished the things she needed to do. She walked over to the back to check on the staff.

“Hey Buffy.”

Buffy turned around and saw Riley walk towards her. Ever since the incident he’d been very kind towards her. He’d apologized for his actions and had never attempted anything since. Knowing that it hadn’t been his fault, Buffy had accepted his apology and told him she’d like to still be friends, but that she needed some time at first. And so he had given it to her.

“Hey Riley,” she said giving him a tired smile.

“Hey, are you ok?” he asked concern lacing his voice.

Buffy sighed. “Why does everyone keep asking me that? It’s driving me insane! I’m fine!”

Riley put up his hands in surrender. “I’m sorry. You just look tired is all.”

Buffy rubbed her eyes at that and looked at him wearily. “I think everything’s making me tired and I think I may have a bug or something. I’ve been feeling a bit off lately, but it’s nothing for you guys to worry about. I promise. Now, I actually have to find Paul to tell him I won’t be in tomorrow. Have you seen him?”

“I think I saw him go down to the lower level earlier.”

“Ok, thanks. I’ll see you around.”

As she turned around she was hit by another dizzy spell, though this time it was a lot stronger than the ones she’d had before. She grabbed her head and squeezed her eyes shut trying to rid herself of the dizzy feeling, but it was no use. She just managed to call out to Riley softly as she felt blackness overtake her.

“Buffy? Buffy, can you hear me? Buffy?” she heard a voice call to her. “Riley, get some wet towels please.”

Buffy slowly opened her eyes and found herself lying on the floor somewhere near the back entrance.

“Buffy?” she heard someone call again. And as she looked up she saw a very worried Paul looking down at her.

“Paul? What happened? What am I doing on the floor?”

“You fainted Buffy. You gave us a quite a scare.”

Looking around confused she reached out to Paul to help her sit up just as Riley was coming back into the room with some towels. He handed them to Paul.

“Hey Buffy, you ok?” he asked her gently.

“I feel so embarrassed. I can’t believe I fainted!” She felt Paul put one of the cold wet towels to her head. “Thanks.”

“I can’t get away from the pub now, but let Riley take you home. I don’t want you to go home on your own now ok?” Paul looked at her worriedly.

“Ok thanks, Paul.”

“And go see a doctor!”

She got up from the ground and let herself be guided towards the back door of the pub to Riley’s car. As they drove off towards her apartment, she let her head rest against the window and felt her eyes getting heavier by the minute.

“We’re here.” She woke up as he softly touched her arm.

“Hold on, I’ll help you get out of the car.” She took his offered hand and carefully got out, still a bit groggy from her short sleep during the ride home.

“Don’t take this the wrong way Buffy, but you’re really not fit.”

She looked at him confused. “What do you mean?” But before she knew what was happening, she was being lifted into a pair of strong arms. She felt silly being carried, but also very grateful, so she let herself be carried to the stoop of her apartment.

He sat her down, and after she opened the door he helped her go into her apartment.


XXXXX


Spike was just about to get out of his car when he saw an unfamiliar car pull up in front of her building. . The anger rose in him like the water coming to a boil in a pot of tea when he saw Riley . What the hell was that wanker doing?

His question was soon answered when the passenger’s door was opened and he watched as Riley helped Buffy out of the car. He was astonished to see Buffy being lifted into the guy’s arms and being carried toward her front door.

He sat there for a while, shocked beyond words. He wasn’t aware of the tears forming in his eyes, but now he knew that he really had lost her.

=====
Another chapter for you guys. Hope you enjoyed this!