Chapter 16: The end of a very good relationship

Buffy loved her new job, she only worked when Emma was in school, but she felt right at home already. Her colleagues were so nice and she loved the people who came to the diner to have lunch or buy some coffee. An old couple came to the diner everyday to have breakfast and Buffy could see the love in their eyes, even after all those years they’ve been together. She wondered if Spike would look at her that way when she was old and wrinkly. Everything was fine between Buffy and Spike. He always made sure he was home on time for dinner, except when he had to perform. But Buffy could tell that there was something wrong. There was something in his eyes and she couldn’t tell what it was. She had noticed it two days ago and she hated not knowing what was on his mind. She had asked him about it, but he told her that everything was fine between them, that there was some problem with the band, but he wouldn’t tell her what it was.

The only thing he said was, “Don’t worry your pretty head about it,” which had pissed Buffy off. They were a couple so they should discuss issues together. But it was obvious that Spike didn’t want her involved.

Buffy was lost in thoughts until her colleague Mandy told her that she had a customer. She looked towards a table where a man had just sat down. ‘Great,’ she thought sarcastically.

She walked towards his table. “Can I help you?”

The man looked up. “I would like a coffee, Buffy.”

Buffy gave him a fake smile. “One coffee coming right up.”

A minute later, she came back with his coffee.

“So, you must be really sad to know that your boyfriend has to go for such a long time,” the man said to her.

Buffy looked at him with a confused look on her face. “You don’t know?” the man asked her.

“What are you talking about Xander?” She asked her brother with a hint of anger in her voice.

“I’m talking about the new tour. I’m surprised Spike hasn’t told you about it.” He said with fake concern and surprise.

“What tour?”

“The tour which involves the band, including Spike, to tour around the country for nine months,” he said with an almost sickening smile. “You should ask your boyfriend about it. He’s having a meeting with our manager right now.”

“I don’t have time for this Xander, I have customers to serve,” she said, turning to walk away.

“Serve like you served those men in Sunnydale?”

Buffy turned back around.

“Yeah, Spike told me about your services,” he said, looking disgusted.

Buffy looked at him with anger in her eyes. “That has nothing to do with you, all right. It’s not any of you business, so stay the hell away out of my life! You don’t exist for me anymore.” And with that she walked away, hopefully out of his life.

Buffy was glad Emma was spending the night at one of her friends, because she and Spike really needed to talk.

She walked towards the front door, hoping that Spike was already home. She didn’t want to wait for him; she needed to talk to him now.

“Hello, luv,” she heard when she entered the house.

She closed the door and when she turned around she saw Spike, with a look on his face that she couldn’t really describe. His eyes showed sadness, but also happiness.

He took her coat and walked with her towards the dining room. On the table was a romantic dinner for two, complete with candles and a red rose in the middle.

“Wow!” Buffy exclaimed. “What’s the occasion?”

It was silent for a moment. “There’s something that I need to say.”

Buffy looked at him. ‘Please don’t let this be the end. I don’t want him to leave for so long,’ she thought to herself. She couldn’t bear it if he left for nine months, and most of all; it wouldn’t be fair to Emma.

Spike moved the chair back, inviting her to take a seat. After they both sat down, he started talking.

“About a week ago, the band received some exciting news. There was a big chance we could become really famous. And for that to happen we would have to go on tour.”

Buffy nodded, not trusting herself to speak; afraid she was going to cry if she did.

“Everyone was pretty excited of course, including me. But then we heard that the tour lasts for nine months, nine whole months away from home, Buffy.”

Buffy nodded again, this time with tears in her eyes.

“What should we tell Emma?” she asked him, a tear falling from her eyes.

“Sshhh, baby. I’m not finished yet,” he said, his heart nearly breaking from seeing the tears on his girlfriend’s face.

“I arranged a meeting with my manger, and I had a talk about what I want. And I told him… I told him that I’m going to quit the band.”

“What?” Buffy asked. “But this is what you’ve dreamed of for so long.”

Spike nodded. “It’s what I’ve dreamed of since I was about 11 years old.” He smiled at her. “But you and Emma are what I’ve been dreamed of all my life. There’s nothing more important for me.”

Buffy was openly crying now, “Are you sure?”

Spike smiled. “I’ve never been more sure in my life.” He said before he had his arms full with a crying Buffy. He hugged her closely, kissing her on her forehead before Buffy moved her face, giving him a kiss.

“What does the band think about it?”

“I haven’t told them yet, but I’m telling them first thing in the morning.”

“Xander is going to be very mad,” Buffy said.

“I don’t care, he’s doesn’t matter to me anymore.”




~ * ~


“What?! Are you out of your mind?!” Xander yelled to his former-best-friend.

Faith and Devon looked very upset and surprised, but they both thought that Xander’s anger wasn’t just based on Spike quitting the band.

Spike clenched his jaw, wanting to beat the crap out of Xander but knowing that he shouldn’t.

“What do you guys think about it?” He asked Faith and Devon, deciding not to ask Xander since his thoughts about it were pretty clear.

“Well, I’m surprised, that’s for sure. Are you sure this is what you want to do? This is our big chance.” Devon said.

Spike smiled. “I’m sure. This band means a lot to me, but Buffy and my daughter mean a lot more. I don’t want to leave them for nine months, I can’t leave them for nine months.

Devon smiled at him, he could understand where he was coming from. Devon loved his girlfriend Lilly more than anything and he hated being apart from her for that long. Maybe if Spike quit the band, he wouldn’t have to go either. He had had enough of trying so hard to become famous, it wasn’t worth all the pain that it caused him and his girlfriend, and clearly Spike and his family too.

Spike looked at Faith, waiting for her answer. “Well, what’s going to happen now. I’m five by five with you leaving. I know how much Buffy and Emma mean to you, I’m not completely stupid like someone here in the room,” she said, looking at Xander who only glared at her. “But what’s going to happen with the band while you’re gone. You’re the lead singer, Spike.”

“I know. But you guys will find someone else, someone better.”

“Yeah right, like we could ever find someone better.”

“You’re being a selfish asshole, Spike.” Xander told him.

“No, I’m not being selfish. I’m doing the right thing for me and my family.”

“The band is falling apart because of you.”

Devon started speaking before Spike had a chance to. “First of all, the band was already falling apart because you can’t accept the fact that Spike is happy with your sister. And secondly, the band isn’t just falling apart because of him, I’m leaving too.”

“What?” Faith asked.

“I’ve had enough of this shit. We’ve been trying so hard to make it that I’ve been neglecting my own family. A couple of years ago I didn’t just leave Sunnydale, I left my family… my life. And if we’re going on tour I have to do it all over again, and I’m not going to. I’ve had enough.” He explained, happy with the fact that he could finally tell his friends what was on his mind.

“See what you did! Why can’t you just be who you used to be. Leave Buffy and Emma and join the band again!”

“Leave Buffy and Emma, are you out of your bleeding mind?! That’s my family you wanker!” Spike yelled back at Xander. “How can you be so bloody insensitive. I’m in love with your sister. Do you even *know* what love is?”

“Of course I know what love is,” Xander said.

Spike shook his head. “No, I don’t think you do. If you did, then you would have quit the band too, you wouldn’t want to leave Anya for nine months either. Do you know what love is Xander? Love is feeling your heart break when you see the one you love cry. Love is feeling complete happiness when the love of your life is in your arms or when she smiles or giggles. I feel that with Buffy. I want to spend my life with her. Don’t you get that. It would kill me to be apart from her, to be apart from my daughter.”

Xander shook his head. “I still think you’re making a mistake. And I think you need to stay the hell away from my sister, you’re no good for her and she’s no good for you.”

Spike looked angry and confused. “What’s that suppose to mean?”

Faith and Devon also looked confused; they could see how happy Buffy made Spike.

“Let’s face it Spike; you can’t be a father to Emma. That girl needs someone who can take care of her. And so does Buffy. She needs someone she can count on. Buffy’s weak, she needs a strong man in her life and you’re just not it.”

“You’re wrong. Buffy is strong, I’ve never seen someone as strong as she is. She supported her family when she was a teenager. How can you tell me that she’s weak? How dare you say something like that about your own sister?”

Xander shook his head. “That’s where you are wrong; she isn’t my sister, not anymore. She blew that out of the window when I found out it she was a stripper.”

Spike shook his head. He couldn’t believe the words that were coming out of his mouth.

“How can you be with her Spike? How can you be with someone who used to be a whore?”

Spike could hear Faith and Devon gasp.

“Because I love her. That doesn’t mean anything to me. I’ll admit, it hurts to think about it, but if she didn’t do it then I wouldn’t have met her or my daughter. Besides, she doesn’t do that anymore.”

Xander shook his head. “A whore stays a whore.”

Xander was still shaking his head when he saw Spike moving towards him. But he was too late. Xander fell down from the blow which Spike made with his fist. On the ground, Xander looked at him, blood coming from his nose.

“If you ever talk about Buffy like that again, I will hurt you so bad that even Anya won’t be able to recognise you anymore. Stay away from me and my family. Or you’ll regret it.”

He took a deep breath and turned to Faith and Devon. “I’m sorry guys, but I won’t change my mind. I’m still quitting the band.”

Devon and Faith both nodded. “We understand.” Faith said, “I better start looking for a new job then. I always wanted to be a bartender.” She said with a smile, showing him that it was okay.”

“Hey man, don’t look at me.” Devon said when Spike turned to him. “We’ve got the same ideas.” He gave Spike a manly hug.

“I guess this is the end of a great relationship,” Faith said.

“No, I thought it was great, but it was nothing.” Spike said, looking at Xander. “But I still have my two best mates,” he said, winking at Faith and Devon.

Devon smiled, “Yeah, you won’t get rid of us Faith.”

“Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to see my two best girls.” Spike said and he smiled at the thought of never having to leave them again.










-------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: Thanks for all the reviews! One very small chapter to go and then....... the end!

Spikegirl