Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay in updates in a bit of a rut with this one but i am getting back on track. Enjoy!
“You look horrendous!” Lorne exclaimed as Buffy slumped into the make-up chair. “What puddle did you drag yourself through on the way here?”

“I had a big night,” was all Buffy offered up in way of explanation. “Followed by an awkward morning.”

“Interesting,” Lorne raised an eyebrow as he started dabbing concealer under Buffy’s eyes. “Spill, tell uncle Lorne all about it.”

“I don’t want to be rude, but I’m not in the mood for a heart to heart. Head pounding a little too loudly.” She winced as she closed her eyes and sat back in the make-up chair.

“Gee, the cat’s got everyone’s tongue this morning.” Lorne kept fussing with Buffy’s look as she tried hard to tune him out. “Couldn’t even rouse a hello from Spike this morning.”

Her eyes shot open at the sound of his name. Spike was here, already. She thought he had a late afternoon call. Buffy had been hoping not to run into him today. She had gone straight home from his house to have a shower and check that everything was okay at home.

“Oh, I didn’t realise he was here already, he never mentioned it this morning.” As soon as she saw Lorne’s eyes grow to the size of saucers, she knew she would let the cat out of the bag.

“Oh, honey, lovers tiff?”

Buffy took in the question, was it a lovers tiff? She did not know the answer. They were not lovers, so in part the question was no. However, they were not exactly just friends, either. She needed a definition. This morning’s display, the breakfast and the having her stay the night. If a friend had done these things, she would be grateful to the point of happiness. If a boyfriend had done these things, she would be weak at the knees calling all her friends telling them how sweet then guy in question was. However, Spike was neither her friend nor boyfriend. He was her co-worker. Sure, a co-worker who she was pretending to be in love with. Speaking of which, what was with almost kissing her this morning? She frowned as she considered this. Perhaps the more important question was what was with the wanting to kiss him this morning. She was confused. Spike, their relationship, fake or otherwise, was making her lose control and act crazy.

“Keep that up, sweet cakes, and you’ll have to make nice with Mr. Botox,” Lorne snapped her from her thoughts. “But not today, you are done.”

Buffy looked at her reflection, stunned.

He had done wonders. Gone were the tell tale signs of the night before. It was amazing what a dab of concealer and the correct application of foundation could do. You could not tell that she had been out on the town, let alone hung over. She wished she could pop some concealer on her thoughts about Spike, and erase them from her mind.

~

Spike had read the same page of script for the fifth time this morning; he had gotten in early to go over his lines. He was not having much success.

Buffy.

Since she had stormed out, his mind had been filled with questions. Why did she storm out on him? Why had he made her breakfast? Why was he disappointed that she stormed out on him?

He was attracted to her, no doubt about that. However, that did not stand for much as he was always attracted to beautiful women. This was something more than a fleeting affection that he felt. He wanted to know her, help her, and understand her.

Nevertheless, she had pushed him away, physically and emotionally. He had played that game with Dru once too many times. He was not willing to play it again not matter how much he wanted to.

He closed his script and made up his mind. He would do the job he was payed for, both on the set and off. Play both roles, one of the superhero space captain and the other of doting boyfriend in the latest celebrity couple. That is all it would be, a role, a part to play, no attachments and that was the way he liked it.

The knock at the trailer door surprised him he was not due on set for another three hours.

“Spike, are you there?” Buffy called through the door.

Spike put his game face on, got up and opened the door.

“Yes.”

“Have you got a minute? I wanted to talk.”

“Gee Buffy; I thought this was a pretend relationship. Can’t I be spared the heart to heart talks?” He instantly regretted the words as he saw the hurt wash across her face.

“I understand, maybe another time then,” she turned to walk off.

“Buffy, wait,” she stopped and looked back at him. Role or not he could not stand being the reason for the hurt in her eyes. “I was harsh. Come in.”

She hesitated before she stepped inside the trailer. Spike sat back down on the couch and motioned for to do the same.

“Thanks, but I’ll stand,” she looked around the trailer. Taking in her surroundings, there was less black than she expected and more books too. Spike was a bookworm; maybe he was one of those guys who had a tonne of books around him to make him look intelligent.

“You wanted to say something pet?” he was looking at her strangely and it did not help that she had been standing there without saying a word for the past few minutes.

“Thank you.” If he had been looking at her strangely before, he was now looking at her as though she had grown a second head.

“Thank you for this morning and last night. It was above and beyond the bounds of our agreement,” she waited for him to respond.

“You’re welcome,” Spike was beyond confused. Was this the same women that had run from his home less than two hours ago?

“You see, I am not used to this,” she motioned her hands back and forward between them. “My life is complicated at best and what we have… what I mean is our agreement makes things more complicated and that just makes me wig out.”

“I didn’t mean to complicate things Buffy. I was just trying to help.”

“I understand that. It is just hard to accept. I don’t have many people offering to help me, well other than my friends but they don’t count.” It was Spikes turn to be hurt by Buffy’s words.

“You don’t think I am your friend?”

“Are you my friend?” she asked quietly. He moved over to her and looked her in the eye.

“Yes I am your friend. If we are going to make this work professionally or otherwise we need to at least be friends.” The smile that spread across her face warmed his heart.

“It’s just that I have gotten so used to people wanting something from you in this business it makes you more than a little guarded.” She shifted nervously under his gaze.

“You only have to be guarded if you have something to hide. Do you have something to hide Buffy?” he asked.

“No.”

“Then we will get along just fine.”