AN: Sorry for the wait between chapters. Thanks to Meli my beta and Brat for being my sounding board :)

Chapter 14

“Can you stop with the fidgeting please; I will poke your eye out with this eyelash curler if you are not careful.” Lorne scolded as Buffy tried to sit still.

It was not an easy task considering the nervous energy flowing through her veins. Today was the day she had been dreading, at least she was telling herself she was dreading today. Her and Spike were filming there sex scene today.

“So, ready for your big scene today?” Lorne asked as he applied blush to her cheeks, not that she needed much just the mention of the scene made her blush.

“You know, done one love scene done them all,” she said trying to sound casual and failed miserably.

“Well, you will have to give me all the juicy details tomorrow.” He pulled out the hair straightener and started working on her hair.

“What do you mean tomorrow Lorne? As if you won’t be down on set sneaking a peak,” she laughed knowing that it was not her he wanted a peak of.

“I wish honey, but your man went all shy and insisted on a closed set. No one but you, Spike the director and the sound and camera guys.”

Lorne continued to fuss with her hair as Buffy’s head swam with questions. Why had Spike done that? It was a widely known fact that he had no qualms about striping of in front of cameras or otherwise. What possessed him to request a closed set? The knock on the trailer door broke her from her thoughts.

“Package for Miss Summers.”


He needed a smoke bad. He had not smoked all morning and his body was having major nicotine withdrawals, couple that with the bundle of nerves currently in the pit of his stomach, he was a wreck.

Looking down at his hands, he was shaking. See if he had a smoke the shaking would stop, however it would also meant he would have smoker’s breath and he did not want to have that. Not today of all days.

He had spoken to the director last night to request a closed set for today’s scene. To say he was surprised was an understatement. Spike knew he had a reputation for being an exhibitionist; he was comfortable in his own skin. What he was not comfortable with was touching Buffy’s skin. Not in an I do not want to touch her kind of way but in an I want to touch, I want to touch a lot kind of way.

He had never been this worked up over a love scene before. It was just another part of his job and he approached it in the same way he would any other part of the movie. He was playing a role, any thoughts, feelings, desires he had were not his own but his characters. He did not know that thing when his feelings began and his character in the movies and the character he was currently playing in the media finished. He had blurred the lines, which was always a bad idea. This was why he kept his distance.

He had learned his lesson with Dru. Having real feelings invested in relationships was just a recipe for disaster. This whole fake relationship was supposed to be a way to protect himself, his heart from being broken. In the beginning with Buffy, it had been easy to keep his distance. His first impression of her had helped curb any feelings. However, as he got to know the real Buffy the distance between them was narrowing.

In addition, he wanted to get closer, close enough to touch, feel caress. Spike felt himself react physically to his thoughts. ‘Great I can’t even think about her without getting turned on. How am I going to keep my professional distance whilst grinding against her when I can’t even keep from thinking about her?’

This was why he needed a smoke.

He grabbed the packet from his pocket and took the cigarette from it. He wanted to smoke it but something stopped him before it had reached his lips.

He wanted to make this perfect for her, she had confided in him her fears about today and he was doing whatever he could to make her feel at ease, the not smoking, the closed set and the present he had sent to her.


Lorne was smart enough to know when to keep his distance. He made himself scarce as soon as the messenger delivered the box to Buffy.

The box was about the size of a shoebox and wrapped in a deep blue tissue paper, she took the card that had been attached to the deep red bow on the box.

Buffy,

I hope this gift helps calm your nerves. No need to worry, I promised no peeking and I always keep my promises.

Spike

She opened the box and pulled out a flesh coloured bandeau. A modesty band if you will, for her to wear today instead of having to be naked from the waist up. She smiled to herself. She was sort of hoping for some hard liquor but this would do.

Just when she thought she had Spike all figured out, he surprised her. Compared to the drunken shell of a man she had met a couple of weeks ago, he had made a complete turn around.

The penny dropped about the closed set. He did not request it for himself but for her, so she could feel at ease. However, it had the opposite effect to know that he had gone to all that trouble, that he had cared enough to close the set, send her gifts. Made her feel a completely different kind of nervous.

Another knock at the door made her jump.

“Miss Summer the set will be ready for you in five minutes.”

She took a deep breath as she stood up and looked at herself in the mirror. She was trying to look calm and it showed on her face. She could do this and if she could not, she knew Spike would be there to help her through it.

That thought alone made her feel calmer than she had felt all morning.