“I want out,” Spike barked into the phone.

“Well, hello to you too Spike.” Xander replied.

Spike rolled his eyes as he took another drag of his cigarette, his no smoking campaign had lasted all of about 5 seconds after he and Buffy had finished their love scenes. It seemed that in the days following he had more than made up for the lost time.

“Hello,” he replied begrudgingly.

“I can’t get you out of the movie, Spike. You only have two more weeks of shooting to go.”

“Not the movie, Buffy.”

“You want out of Buffy? When did you get in her buddy?”

“Cut the crap Xander, you know what I meant; I can’t do this anymore.”

“She cramping your style, look I know you, Spike. You could charm the chastity belt off a fair maiden, surely you have...”

“Don’t finish that if you want to keep all your parts mate.”

He had been thinking about nothing else since the other day, he was sick of lying, being a fraud. In addition, not just his relationship with Buffy, it was his whole life. For the first time he had seen it for what it was. Sure agents and publicists called it creating buzz, an image, but the truth was he was living a lie. Like most lies, it was only a matter of time before they all fell apart.

“She is not cramping my style; I am just tired of the lies, the deception. She deserves better than that.”

“Who Buffy? It takes two to tango, Spike. Don’t forget that. She agreed to it too.”

“I guess,” Spike had left that bit out of the equation, she had agreed.

“Look, you can do what you want, but let me say this. You have not had so much press like this in a long time, and even better because its good press.”

“I thought there was no such thing as bad press?”

“Not when it came to you and Drusilla. Do you really want to go back to that?”

He did not. That was one of the reasons why he wanted to get out of the deal with Buffy. Not that he did not want to spend time with her, but because he wanted to spend real time with her. She had given him glimpses into a life he had never known possible.

“No, I don’t want to go back to that.”

“The movie is crap. We all know that, but the public can’t wait. They want to see the movie that made bad boy Spike fall in love. You can’t buy that kind of publicity.”

Spike knew Xander had a point and that is why he paid him ten percent. It was only two more weeks, three tops if there were reshoots, and then he could move on.

“Ok, I’ll stick with it,” Spike sighed

“That’s my boy, now you have that party tonight. Don’t let me down; you and Buffy need to be the talk of the night. Can you do that Spike?”

“Yes, I can do that,” Spike said as he hung up the phone.

Xander smiled to himself as he made another call, he could always make Spike see reason. Now he just had to make sure that nothing else would blow it.

“Giles, we need to talk.”

*****

“What did you do?” Giles demanded as Buffy answered the phone surprised. She was in the limo to pick up Spike for the party for, some charity of the month. Expecting to hear Spike on the other end telling her that he was running his usual ten minutes late.

“Something bad obviously if you are that angry.”

“Buffy, this is not a time to be smart with me. I just got off the phone to Xander and to say he is angry is an understatement.” Buffy swore she could hear Giles polishing his glasses over the phone.

“Why is Xander angry?”

“Spike called him this afternoon saying that he wants out of the arrangement. Can you please shed some light on why that would be?”

Buffy felt her stomach drop, Spike wanted out of the arrangement? Why, they had been getting along so well. She considered him a friend even, especially after how well he had treated her the other day.

“I have no idea why he would want to do that,” Buffy racked her brain for some kind of reason.

“Buffy, I have seen the two of you fight. You need to cut him some slack.”

“We haven’t been fighting, I swear. Although I am going to give him a big piece of my mind next time I see him.”

“Don’t Buffy, you need this. Both of us know how much. Your popularity has gone through the roof since you have been seeing him. I have lost count to the number of covers you have been on. Let alone the requests for interviews I have had.”

“This makes no sense to me Giles; I thought we were both on the same page with this. He has been more than nice to me in the last couple of weeks.”

“What do you mean by more than nice?” Giles questioned.

“What do you mean by it?” Buffy responded.

“Look, I wasn’t going to say anything but since you implied it. Xander seemed to think that Spike had certain… Needs that were not being met.”

“Needs? What do you mean...” The sledgehammer hit Buffy in the face. “Giles I am not a whore.”

“I know that Buffy, I am not asking you to sleep with him.”

“Then what are you asking?”

“Could you let him sleep with other people, we could arrange it. No one would know besides us. We keep Spike happy and then everyone is happy.”

She could not stop the tears from forming in her eyes. She had built Spike up to be this fantasy guy, sweet kind and considerate. Somewhere along the way she had forgotten that she was playing a role, they both were. Nothing was real, not even the feeling of disappointment in her heart.

“Is this what Spike wants?” she asked as she tried to find her voice, dreading the answer but at the same time needing to know.

“Xander didn’t say it in so many words but…” She knew Giles did not want to finish the sentence.

This was why she did not date. Open her heart to anyone, least of all a Hollywood star. She hated herself for compromising her values for the sake of a few more jobs and a few more dollars in the bank. However, she had made her bed and now she had to lie in it.

“It’s his life, Giles. He can do what he wants with it. He doesn’t owe me any favours.” She snapped the phone shut before she could hear his response. She did not need to hear all the sorry details. She knew enough.

She wiped her tears away as the limo approached Spike’s home. Telling herself that it did not matter what Spike did. They were nothing to each other. Actors playing roles, nothing more. She knew the more she said it and then one day she would believe it.