“Mommy.”

Spike’s head was spinning. It was as though he had entered an alternative universe, a universe in which Buffy was a …

“Mommy.”

Sure, on the way over to her house he had gone through what he had thought were all the possible reasons that Buffy did not want him to see where she lived. He figured it had to do with the state of her house or lack there of. Never in his wildest dreams did he ever think that Buffy would have been a …

“Mommy,” Cody seemed to be getting more and more inpatient. “Why is that man standing with his mouth wide open? Is he trying to catch flies?” Spike could not help but laugh at that.

“No Cody, he is not trying to catch flies.” Spike could tell that Buffy was beyond distressed. He could only imagine the thoughts running through her mind. He wanted to at least let her know that she did not need to be worried about his reaction. He crouched down to Cody’s level.

“I just called in to say hi to your mommy. Sorry to have woken you up.” He stretched out his hand for Cody to shake. “My name’s Spike, I am a friend of your mom’s.”

“My name is Cody,” he took Spikes hand and shook it. “You talk funny like uncle Giles.”

“Talk funny do I?” he said in an overly exaggerated cockney accent, which made Cody laugh aloud. Cody shared his mother infectious laughter.

“Do you want to come inside and play with my cars?” Before he could answer, Spike was cut off by Buffy.

“Cody, it’s late and you shouldn’t be out of bed, let alone awake at this hour.”

“But mom…” Cody whined.

“But mom, nothing mister. It’s time for bed,” the look of disappointment on Cody’s face was priceless. He could see Buffy weakening.

“Maybe I can come around another time when it’s not so late,” he reasoned.

“Promise?” it looked as thought he had also inherited his mother's pout and he was powerless.

“I promise. Now, you had better get to bed before your mom gets cross at both of us,” he saw Buffy’s face as they made their way inside.

Spike sat on the large brown leather lounge in the living room while Buffy helped Cody back to bed. His head was still trying to wrap itself around all the events of tonight. All he had wanted to do in coming here tonight was to see if she was ok and to try to explain the misunderstanding of him wanting to sleep with other women. Somehow, he reasoned that those thoughts have completely left her mind. Buffy was a mom and had been hiding it for some time. He had always suspected she was hiding something. He had suspected it was a soft porn career that so many starlets in this town had hidden somewhere. Not this, it did however explain her deep fear of having her life exposed into the public eye. Her panic at the mention of her personal life was now not paranoia as he had first thought but more an act of survival. She must have lived in constant fear of having Cody exposed as some shameful indiscretion. Nevertheless, why? Sure, it did not help your queen teen image to have a baby so young. However, once she had established her career she could have told her story. What reason did she have to keep hiding?

“How much?” Buffy asked as she came into the room. He could tell by the look on her face that she was all business. It reminded him of their first meeting in Xander’s office.

“How much what?” he did not have a clue to what she was on about.

“To keep you quiet about Cody. How much?” she could not look him in the eye. The absolute desperation shown on her face caused his heart to ache.

“Have you lost your mind love? I would never take money from you.”

A long pause drew between them, as Buffy seemed to search her mind for something to say.

“You could, I mean, sex. Do you want to sleep with me to keep quiet?” he could see apart of her die inside at the mere mention of the words. All he wanted to do was take her in his arms and never let her go. However, he refrained, as he knew she would take it as a sign that he did want to sleep with her. Therefore, he went with the next best thing.

“I am not even going to warrant that with a response. Do you really think so little of me?”

“No,” Buffy sighed as she sat down on opposite him. “Maybe, I don’t know. It’s just that I live in fear of this happening for so long. I just don’t know how I should act, think or feel.”

“How about you start at the beginning and we take the rest as it comes.”

‘The beginning,’ Buffy thought to herself. She had lived this lie for so long that she had lost track of the beginning. She wanted to tell him, have this burden of the truth lifted from her. To be able to trust him, but she had built up these wall for so long it was easier said than done.

“Before I start I need to know,” she bit her lip she wanted to trust him.

“I won’t tell a sole love. No payment required. How old is he?”

“Five,” she could see the wheels turning in his brain as he worked out how old she was when she was pregnant. She made it easier for him.

“I was sixteen when became pregnant.”

“Oh,” she winced at the sound of shock and disappointment in his voice.

“It’s not what you think. I wasn’t one of those high school girls whose only dream was to have a baby at sixteen so they could have someone to love them,” she hated having to defend her choices, as well as Cody’s existence.

“I didn’t think you were. Buffy, I don’t judge you for what you did.”

“I was naïve; I guess that was my only mistake. When I was sixteen I won a beauty pageant back home and one of the prizes was a trip to LA to meet with talent agents,” she closed her eyes as the memories of that time came flooding back.

“That’s where I met Giles. He sent me on some casting and at one,” she paused as she tried to find the words to explain what happened next.

“I wasn’t one of those girls who wanted to sleep their way to the top. It was just that the casting director, he took an interest in me. The casting went well. He said I was a shoe in for the role. He wanted to take me out for dinner to celebrate. He made me feel special, you know. No man had made me feel so wanted or as it turned out so used as well.”

Spike’s heart went out to her. All this time he had admired her strength and innocence. It was the fact that she had remained so unaffected by this business. The fact of the matter was that she had been so damaged by it that she had built up walls to protect herself from it.

“I didn’t realise that I was pregnant until four weeks after I got home. I tried to call him, tell him what was going on,” her tears started to flow. Spike could not fight the urge any longer. He stood and sat beside her, slipping his arm around her trying to comfort her.

“He never spoke to me again; the best I got was his personal assistant telling me that I didn’t get the role.”

“Bastard.”

“I hadn’t heard from him since. Until tonight. Cody’s father is Parker Abrams.”