AN: So here it is i have finished WSC. I want to say a big thanks to Carly, Amy and Brat for all their help and encouragment with this fic. And thanks to everyone who read, read and reviewed and enjoyed this fic.

Epilogue

“So tell me— who are you wearing?” Buffy tried not to roll her eyes as she was asked the same question for the fiftieth time however, not even that could damper her mood.

Tonight was the première of the movie that had changed her life.

“Vera Wang,” she replied as she did a half turn to show the detail on the back of the cabernet colored dress. It was a gift from the designer who was helping design another dress for her. However this dress was white, showed a little less leg and cleavage, and was almost ready to be worn. However tonight she had chosen the bold color because she knew it was Spike’s favorite and her date liked it too.

“Mommy looks really pretty, like a princess,” Cody added as though he and the reporter had been friends for years. “I’m wearing Gap Kids,” he said as he copied Buffy’s earlier turn.

When the news had broken about Cody eight months earlier it had been tough, but not as harrowing as she had thought. With Spike by her side it didn’t seem like the end of the world telling the truth about Cody. In a way she was looking forward to having the freedom to be herself and to live the life that she had worked so hard to give Cody.

The press had been relentless for about six weeks. She did the rounds of the talk shows and once the scandal died down there was not much more to report. At the end of the day all she was a young single mom working hard to raise her son. There were no late nights partying, trips to rehab, in short, nothing to report of, or be reported on.

“So when’s the big day?”

Except for that.

The morning after she and Spike had made love he had proposed. Her heart said yes, but her head had reservations.

“It’s too soon,” she replied joining him on the floor where he was still on bended knee.

“Okay not quite the response I was looking for,” he tried to hide his disappointment.

“No, Spike, I want to marry you no question but …” his kiss silenced her.

“Then that settles it, no question. I love you Buffy. I want to marry you today if I could. Hell, by Hollywood standards we should be married and divorced by now,” she giggled at his joke. What was the problem they loved each other? A lot of other people had gotten married based on much less than love.

“I will have to check with Cody,” she bit her lip waiting for the other shoe to drop with Spike. This was going to be his life now, not being able to make split decisions but having to take a family into account.

“How remiss of me, of course you will have to check with him, in fact I should have done this in the first place.” He pulled out his cell and called her home number that she couldn’t help but notice was number one on his speed dial.

“Cody, its Spike I have an important question to ask you…”

“No comment,” was her answer to the press, but the real answer was…

“In two weeks mommy and Spike get to dress up again and I get to be a page boy,” Cody told the reporter unable to hide his excitement. The smart thing would have been to tell him not to tell anyone. However Buffy was trying this new thing called being open and honest. She had spent most of his life keeping secrets, she didn’t want Cody to have to do the same.

“I guess you get the scoop,” Buffy told the slightly shocked reporter.

“What’s the scoop?” Spike came up behind them putting his arm both around his fiancé and his soon to be son. That was his wedding gift to Buffy; he was going to adopt Cody. Be the father that Cody deserved.

“Cody here just let the cat out of the bag it seems,” the reporter told Spike “Where is the big day going to be?”

“Well love, that’s for us to know and hopefully for you to never find out.” He led Buffy and Cody away from the reporter along the red carpet and into the theatre.

****

The movie was a hit and had been in the top ten of the box office for the past two weeks. But, as he watched Buffy walk down the aisle hand in hand with Cody, none of that mattered. He loved that the film had given him so much more than a boost to his career and the ability to choose his next project. Yes, it had given him more than all of that put together.

It had given him love.

Twelve months ago getting married was the last thing he felt like doing and getting wasted was the first.

Wasted. That was what his life was – wasting away until she bowled into his life. He should have known he was gone the minute she came into that room all bravado and mini skirt. He fought the good fight but sometimes surrender was as sweet as victory.

He had surrendered, given himself and given up his old ways away for her, now that wasn’t exactly true, he had given them away for himself. He had chosen life and love over bitterness and destruction.

The time after the news about Cody was tough and even though he knew that Buffy would say he had given her strength, she had given him the same and more. Strength, love, family all of it a gift that he never thought he would receive.

He was a better man for it, and now he was to become a husband and a father.

Tears welled in both their eyes as she stopped by his side.

“Make my mommy a princess ok?” Cody asked as he released Buffy’s hand and shook Spike’s trying to be so much older and wiser than his six years.

“I will mate, I will try my best.” He took Buffy’s hand into his own and they began their wedding vows.

And their new life together.