Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all your support and reviews.
Buffy sat nervously in the limo as it waited for the traffic lights to change. She checked her purse for the twentieth time. She pulled out her compact and made sure she looked okay.

Looking okay was an understatement. When she got back to her trailer after the day’s shooting, she mentioned to Lorne the hair and make-up artist on set that she had to go to a party. In a flash, he had her sitting in the make-up chair and working his magic.

Buffy always wore make up on set. She hated wearing it any other time. It made her feel like she was at work. Lorne had created the look envied by women across the world. The ‘I look like I am wearing no make-up look’. It always amazed her that it took an hour to look like she had just stepped out of the shower. Lorne’s magic did not stop at the face. She was quite happy to wear a simple pair of jeans and a red top, but he would have nothing of it.

“Sweetie, you really have never been to one of these things, have you?” he asked as he started doing her hair.

“Is it that obvious?” She shifted uncomfortably in the chair. If she could not fool Lorne, how was she going to convince the country that she had suddenly turned into Miss Party Girl 2006?

“Well, the way you want to dress. It looks like the last party you ever went to was in high school." He chuckled and he swept it up into a messy bun.

“Fred get Ralph on the phone for me tell him I need a party dress in a size two,” Lorne’s assistant jumped at the request. “I need it here in about an hour.”

Therefore, here Buffy sat as the limo pulled up to Spike’s house. She felt dressed up, as if she was going to the prom and feeling about as nervous as she did on her prom night.

~

When Spike heard the knock at the door, he was fully expecting to see the chauffer on the other side. He was pleasantly surprised when he saw Buffy looking as beautiful as anything he had ever seen.

She was wearing a dress that caught him off guard. He had only ever seen her in either the stupid space costume or casual clothes. The dress was an emerald strapless gown and came down to about her knees. It had a chiffon overlay that softened her features. He wanted to touch it to see if it was as soft as it looked. He wanted to touch her to see if she was as soft as the fabric. The dress was not overtly sexy, but she looked sexy as hell in it.

It took him a few moments to realise that he was staring at her.

“Spike, are you ready to go?”

He just kept staring.

“Look, I know I look stupid, but Lorne insisted. Are you ready?” Her voice snapped him from his daze.

“Yeah, let’s go.” He followed her out to the waiting limo.

Buffy tried not to show that she was hurt by Spike’s admission that she did look stupid. Well, not that he said that exactly. It was the point he had not said anything. He did not have to either. He was under no obligation to woo her with pretty words. This was a business transaction, a meeting of sorts. There was no need for niceties because they were not being nice to each other. They were just doing their job.

Lost in her thoughts, she did not see Spike stop and open the limo door for her. She ran smack into him.

“What are you doing Spike?”

He looked at her questioningly.

“Opening the door for you pet, what does it look like?”

“Why would you do that? Its not like we are on a date or anything,” she tried to keep the hurt from her voice.

“Date or not, I am not some kind of git who does not open the door for a lady.”

She stoped and looked him in the eyes before she got into the limo. The only thing separating them was the car door and how Spike’s body was responding to Buffy in that dress, he was glad.

“You think I’m a lady?” As she looked at him, she felt herself being drawn into a world where Spike was the only thing that meant anything.

“I think you are a hell of a lot more than that pet.”

~

“Ten minutes before we get there sir,” the drivers voice broke the uncomfortable silence in the back seat of the limo.

“Thank you,” Spike pressed the button that made the petition between them and the driver raise.

“What are you doing,” Buffy shifted nervously in her seat.

“Settle down pet. I won’t bite, hard,” he smirked.

“You’re bent.” She turned and looked out the window, as if the passing scenery had just become the most interesting thing in her life.

“But, I bet it would make you scream.” Her head snapped back to give him a look of disgust. “Now that I have your attention, what are we going to do tonight?”

“I don’t know. I was hoping you would tell me. That’s the whole reason for me doing this. I am not big with the party girl image. I was going to follow your lead.” She told him quietly.

He could not believe the terrified girl sitting in from of him was the same girl today who had fearlessly hung from the studio rafters from wires. A part of him wanted to tell the driver to turn the car around and take them both home. He did not want to make her do something that she quite clearly did not want to. However, he knew that they had a job to do. He would make it as easy as he could for her.

“I know you don’t want to do this pet. But, trust me it is for the greater good. I will make you a deal; we will only stay as long as we have to. I will make sure we get seen by all the right people and even some wrong ones.” He winked and was glad when he heard her chuckle.

“How do we act, you know together. Are we in love?” she looked up at him from under her lashes.

‘No, but keep looking at me like that and I won’t be far from it’ he thought to himself.

“No. We don’t need to be in love. Just the simple fact we will arrive together will start tongues wagging. Remember if anyone asks if we are together say ‘we are just friends’” Spike saw hurt quickly flash across her face.

“Don’t want to ruin your rep,” she tried to make the statement not sound desperate but failed.

“No, pet don’t ever think that. Ever. It’s just that if we say we are just friends, everyone will think we are all hot and heavy.”

“Really?” She did not sound convinced.

The limo pulled up at the red carpet. Spike grabbed her hand as he waited for the door to open.

“Trust me,” he pulled her hand to his lips and kissed it.

She still felt the kiss as the door opened and he pulled her from the limo.

“Showtime.”