“Hey B, looking good,” Buffy rolled her eyes as she answered Faith’s call. “How the hell did you snag such a hottie?”

Buffy looked at herself in the make-up mirror of her trailer. Sure, she knew she was not the hottest thing around but she was not ugly either.

“Thanks for the compliment Faith, you sure know how to build a girls confidence.” Faith laughed down the other end of the phone.

“No, I didn’t mean you could snag a hottie. Just how did you? You never go out to the market, let alone one of the hottest parties in town.” Buffy felt the nerves rise in her stomach.

“How did you know I was at a party last night?”

“B, you know this town. You only have to look in the wrong direction and everyone knows. Oh, that and the fact that your little night out is lead story on most of the gossip TV shows and websites. The two of you make quite the couple. Did you have a good time last night?”

~

As soon as Spike helped her out of the limo, it was as someone had put the night on fast forward.

True to his word, Spike looked out for her. He stayed close, made sure that they were seen and photographed by all the right people. Every time someone asked them, what was going on, it was the same response.

“We are just friends.”

Once they made it inside the party, she did not feel much better. It seemed as though anyone who was anyone was there. In fact, if they had dropped a bomb on the party the only person left to play James Bond would be Pauly Shore.

Buffy felt very out of place she hung her head as her own way of hiding from the crowd. Spike sensed her discomfort.

“Hey, you deserve to be here Buffy. Look at me,” her eyes met his. “Don’t hide who you are. The people in this room would be privileged to know you. Not the other way around.” Her mind swam at his words.

He made her feel at ease, she could see why he had come so far in the Hollywood system. He thrived in this environment he was so relaxed. Buffy sipped at champagne to try to relax. When that did not work, she reached for another, but a hand came out and stopped her.

“Not so fast, pet. I wouldn’t drink if I were you. This isn’t a party; remember this is business. One wrong move and all the press between here and London will know so quick it would make your head spin faster than the second glass of champagne.”

Buffy felt as a child scolded for eating too many sweets. She looked away embarrassed. Spike quickly caught her gaze.

“I don’t say it to be mean, love. Its just I would hate to see you get hurt.” She looked into his eyes and felt the room spin ever so slightly. She tried to blame it on the champagne, but deep down she knew the reason.

~

“Yeah it was fun,” Buffy answered Faith’s question. She was going to elaborate when one of the runners stuck his head in the door.

“You’re needed on set in five minutes Ms. Summers.”

“Faith, that’s me. I gotta go. Are we all still on for Friday?”

Every Friday night, her and her friends would get together for drinks and their weekly recap.

“Of course, later B.”

~

“Spike man. Good work” Xander congratulated him.

“Thanks mate,” Spike was looking for his script, which he had sworn he had left in his trailer last night.

“So, what do I owe the pleasure of this call?” Spike asked.

“No particular reason, just wanted to let you know that you and Ms. Summers are the name on everyone’s lips. You played that one well.”

“I didn’t play her Xand.” His tone was defensive.

“I know you didn’t play her. I meant the way you played the media. I forgot how good you could be at it. You should see the photos today. You can practically see the sparks.”

“Yeah, well I have always been a great actor,” but he knew there was very little acting involved.

Spike closed his eyes and memories of the night before came flooding back. Something about having the small blonde beside him all night brought out the champion in him. He led her down the red carpet, shielding her from the swarm of press. He could see her obvious discomfort in the situation. He fielded all the hard questions. In fact, he fielded most of them; having played the game for so long, he knew how to give them what they wanted to hear.

Buffy had no experience, in some ways she was a lamb being lead to the slaughter and she looked just as scared. He wanted to protect her from all the things that scared her. The look of gratitude she gave him as he took control of the situation did things to him he did not want to admit. He wanted to care for her, protect her and he wanted to do that for longer than just one night.

He shook the feeling off. He could not afford to be anyone’s champion, no matter how badly he wanted to. He had tried to be Drusilla’s and look how well that had turned out. This was business and like oil and water, it and pleasure did not mix.

“Next thing you guys need to do is be spotted.” Xander broke him from his thought.

“What do you mean spotted?”

“You need to be seen coming out of a restaurant or supermarket, wearing baseball caps and sunglasses. You need to look like you are hiding, but can still tell it’s you.”

Spike chuckled at the thought. “I think this is the first time in my career that you have wanted me to be seen with a hot young co-star.”

“Well, at least this time you don’t have a girlfriend.”

“I did not cheat on Dru. She had that market cornered in our relationship,” the betrayal still stung.

“Steady on Spike, I know that. I’m just saying I am enjoying being your manager a lot more when I know the headlines you are going to create before you create them. I must admit it is a refreshing change.”

The knock on the trailer door interrupted them.

“Mr. Simons you are needed on set in five minutes,” the runner advised.

“Thanks. Look mate, I gotta go. I will run the spotted idea past Buffy today and let you know, okay?”

“That’s great Spike. A few more photos like that and you will have the whole world convinced you are in love. Talk to you later, bye.”

As Spike hung up the phone, he wondered if he would need to convince himself in the process.