Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks guys for all the reviews. Glad you are enjoying this one. I know I am enjoying writing it.
The weekend’s outing had been a complete success. No sooner had Buffy stepped in the door, her cell started ringing.

“I’ve already had E, the Insider and ET on the phone asking for comments.”

“Hello to you too Giles,” she rolled her eyes.

“Don’t be like that Buffy. I know you hate doing this, but the plan is working.”

She took in his words. Did she hate the plan? She did not know what was more unnerving, the fact that it was working or the fact she did not really hate it at all.

~

Once her initial jitters had gone away, she and Spike had enjoyed a pleasant afternoon. Buffy kept looking around as they walked the streets trying to see if anyone was watching them.

“Stop it love.”

“What? I am not doing anything,” she looked shocked.

“If you could turn your head any further around, you would give that bird from the Exorcist a run for her money,” he laughed.

“I’m just checking to see it anyone is watching us. That’s all,” she explained.

“I know exactly what you are doing. The more you look like you are trying to be noticed the less likely you will be,” he explained.

“It’s just that I am not used to this.” He could tell by how her nervousness came off her in waves.

“What, walking hand in hand with a handsome guy in public or just the walking in public part?” He asked knowing the answer.

“A bit of both, truth be told. I am not used to having my life on show.”

“I don’t think it’s quite on show pet. Relax, pretend I’m a girlfriend and we are on a shopping trip. Isn’t that what you birds love to do?” He tried to make light of the situation to help her relax.

She looked down at their joined hands.

“I don’t usually hold hands with my girlfriends.”

“Really,” he raised an eyebrow. “You should try it.”

“You wish,” she laughed.

“Yeah, I really do,” he smirked.

They kept walking down the street in a comfortable silence, which in typical style Spike broke.

“So, tell me ’The Buffy Summers E True Hollywood Story’,” he had wanted to know what made this girl tick from the moment he met her.

“What?” She had no idea what he was talking about.

“How did you end up here, in La-La land?”

“Well, it’s kinda embarrassing.” She started to blush.

“Tell me anyway. I am going to need to know all about you, you know just in case I get asked questions about you during interviews.” However, that was not his reason. His reasons were one part wanting to get to know her and one part getting her to blush like that again.

“Well, I won Miss Sunnydale when I was sixteen and part of the prize was a trip to LA to meet with some agents do a casting and stuff. It didn’t work out, so I came back home went on with my normal life.”

He could tell by the way she had skipped the ‘not working out part’ that she did not want to talk about it.

“So how did you end up back here?”

“In the summer between high school and when I was starting college, my mom, she was hit by a drunk driver on the way home from work.” She said blinked back the tears.

“So, my plans changed and I had to get a job and fast. I had my sister to take care of. A job at the local Double Meat Palace was not going to cut it. I packed us up and moved out here, found some of my old contacts and got lucky. Well, maybe not lucky, but I got a job which lead to another and another and here I am.”

He stoped walking and looked at her with new eyes, amazed at the story he had heard. From the moment he met her, he knew she was something different; not like the other starlets that came seeking fame and fortune. She had just needed a job, one that could support her family. He admired her for her strength and for a lot more than that.

She had not realised that he had stopped until he pulled her back to him.

“I didn’t realise that you had such a--” he searched for the right words.

“Responsibility, yeah, no one does. I learned quickly that image is everything here and no one would hire you as the ‘Teen Queen’ if they knew you had a family to support. That’s why I keep my private life private. That and it’s a lot easier to put all the fame stuff into perspective when you have a family to support. I don’t want to play the game. Just want to do the work and go home.”

“But playing the game is part of the work pet.” He finished the sentence for her.

“So it would seem.”

“So, it’s just you and your sister then?”

“Yeah, but you know how sixteen year olds can be a handful.”

If he did not know any better, he could have sworn that he saw a look of fear cross her face. He took her hand and raised it too his lips.

“Don’t worry love; your secret is safe with me.”

They kept walking hand in hand, stopping to look in the windows of various stores on Rodeo Drive. Spike saw one out of the corner of his eye.

“This will get them talking,” he said as he dragged her to the front of the Harry Winston’s store.

Spike watched the range of emotions play across her face, as she looked at all the dazzling jewels in the window. He knew she made good money, but as he had just learned, she would not spend it on such extravagances.

“What’s your pleasure love?”

He saw the wonder in her eyes as she looked at the diamonds in front of her. It was one of the things about her that kept drawing him in. Over the years, he had grown accustomed to the point of complacent to the Hollywood lifestyle and all its attractions and trappings. In Buffy, he saw the wonder in her wide-eyed excitement and part of him wished he still had the same feelings.

“That,” she pointed toward a two carat round cut diamond studded earring set with a matching floating pendant.

“Solid choice. It reminds me of you.”

“What, simple?” she joked.

“No, flawless.”

~
“So Giles, what’s the next move?”

“I don’t know. Let’s see what the press makes of it and take it from there.”

A knock on the door broke her from her thoughts.

“Giles there is someone at the door; I will talk to you tomorrow.”

She snapped her cell shut as she opened the door.

“Delivery for Buffy Summers,” the UPS guy handed her a box. “Sign here,” she took his pen and signed the con note.

As she opened it, what she saw inside took her breath away.

“Flawless.”