Disclaimer: I don’t own them. Bet you didn’t see that coming.

XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX

Spike felt Buffy’s increased presence in his mind but couldn’t spare her a thought, all his attention was on the scene in front of him. Apparently all Buffy’s talks about safety hadn’t been for nothing, Willow held a cross in her hand. Willow had taken a while to wake up after Spike had knocked her out outside Buffy’s house. Apparently she was fine, and had weapons. Spike was deeply conflicted, all his vampiric urges told him to attack the threat and get rid of it but his love for Buffy and all she cared about wouldn’t let him hurt Willow. Well he was arguing within himself Willow was approaching the door, cross steadily pointed at him. Quickly Spike went over his options again and decided on the most appealing one, grabbing Xander in a lightning fast move he quickly vamped out, holding Xander in an eating-friendly position,

“Drop the cross Red and no one gets killed, ‘cept Buffy ‘acorse.” He watched interestedly as Willow considered for a second before dropping the cross with a slump of her shoulders, the picture of defeat. Spike threw Xander back on the bed and using his duster as a glove, quickly threw the cross out the door. The duster didn’t protect his whole hand, just a small part and he was now sporting a large burn down the side of his palm. Turning his attention to Buffy quickly he assured her he was fine before knocking out both his captives again. Back in class Buffy noticed a long burn on the side of her palm.

XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX

The rest of the plan went smoothly. The night lying together in the factory Spike brought up something that had been bothering him,

“Is us living apart a problem for you?”

“I’m not gonna lie, it is difficult but I’m not ready to live each day lying outright to all my friends, as I would if you lived here. Every once and a while it’s fun. Right now I think the cons outweigh the pros, someday that may change but for now it’s easier this way.”

“We could always tell everyone.” Buffy paused,

“I don’t think that will turn out well. With the recent demise of Angelus there’s no way they’d accept us as a couple. I know you’re not Angel and you don’t have a soul to lose, but they won’t understand it. There is no way they’ll trust you. When the time comes we’ll tell them all about us, not now it’s too soon.” Comforted by her admittance that it might change someday Spike let the subject drop. They laid together in silence until Buffy spoke, “I should really go.” Spike immediately began kissing her neck in an effort to waylay her departure. “No, stop I really have to get home.” Buffy pleaded weakly until she decided, “The hell with it!” and pounced.

XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX

Buffy walked into her house later and found Xander and Willow anxiously awaiting her arrival. She groaned,

“Not that I’m not happy you’re here, I just really need a shower.” Xander jumped up hands clasped,

“Please, please tell me you’re washing off vamp dust.”

“Sorry Xander Spike got away.”

“How? He was completely smashed.”

“He sobered up.” Disappointed Xander sat back down with a weary sigh. Willow spoke up,

“What happened to your hand Buffy?”


“What? Oh! Burn, evil oven. Guys I love you but if I don’t get a shower soon I’m afraid for your lives. I’ll tell you everything tomorrow I promise.” Xander and Willow filed out, promising to see her in the morning, after Buffy locked the door her mom walked in from the kitchen, they went in the dining room together, and Joyce gave her daughter a long hug.

“Spike’s not coming back tonight?”

“No he went back to LA.” With a sigh Joyce sat down next to Buffy,

“Long distance relationships can be hard sweetie.”

“Relationship?” Asked a small voice by the door, “You and Spike are in a relationship?” Willow had forgotten her purse.

Chapter 6
(I was tempted to just leave you all hanging but I decided to be nice.)

XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX

“You’re in a relationship with Spike!” Willow’s voice was high. Buffy sighed, she really wanted a shower.

“Yes, Will I’m in a relationship with Spike. I realize that you may have problems with this but if you just sit down . . .” Buffy trailed off at the look of outrage on Willow’s usually accepting face,

“How could you date that, that monster! Do you know what he did? He threatened to kill Xander! Did you guys even fight after we left or was it all ‘Ah, honey it’s ok that you slipped up this one time honey, I won’t stake you, because you’re good in bed!’” Buffy was slightly shocked at Willow’s outburst; Willow was always so even tempered and accepting, after all she was dating a werewolf.

“Will, Spike hasn’t done anything since Angel died that I haven’t been fully behind, even thought of.” The look of shock on Willow’s face made Spike (who was eavesdropping though the claim) laugh. Willow fell, boneless into the chair that Joyce had vacated after Buffy had made it clear she was going to tell the truth. “Spike and I met this summer we’ve been dating for over a year now because we met in an alternate universe called Htrae, the realm of true love, a parallel dimension where I lived for two years. When we met we were both dealing with the deaths of our true loves . . .”

Half an hour later Willow was totally caught up on Buffy and Spike’s relationship and still in complete shock, first that Buffy was dating a vampire and was claimed by him, second that she had hid it from everyone for so long, Buffy was not good at keeping secrets. Willow had been silent through out Buffy’s whole explination, absorbing information, now that she had the entire story she had questions, lots of questions.

“What was with the whole hostage thing?”

“Giles needed to know that Spike was the new Son of the Master and that Dru was dead, we also needed to reestablish the claim, and I didn’t think you guys would buy that Spike was in town to sightsee.”

“Why didn’t you tell us?”

“Why should I? You guys were just so accepting of Angel even when he did have a soul and we didn’t know that anything would get rid of it. None of you ever trust me or my decisions, what did I say about the insane watcher when she came into town? That she was evil! But ‘oh no we can’t believe Buffy because she’s just being paranoid’,” Buffy was spewing out almost three years of injustices that had been brewing inside her for a very long time. But she realized Willow was an innocent party in the Buffy bashing and began to settle down “I didn’t want to tell you all because I wasn’t ready for another round of ‘let’s tell Buffy how to run her life’ from Xander and Giles.” Buffy took a deep breath before continuing, “Anymore questions?”

“Am I aloud to tell Oz?”

“NO!” Slightly shocked at Buffy’s vehement answer she flinched slightly but Buffy noticed and was instantly apologetic, “It’s not that I don’t trust Oz, it’s that, well if the council got a hold of this information I’d probably end up on the wrong side of a gun. Willow you can’t tell anyone with out my clearance of the area, to make sure that there is no one staking out the house. You promise?”

“Yeah, sure.” Slightly disturbed at the idea of the council killing Buffy Willow took a second to adjust her world-view before continuing the questioning, “So the claim is why you have the same burn as Spike?”

“Kind of. If I hadn’t been submerged in Spike’s consciousness at the time I probably would have just felt a shadow of it. On the other hand if I had been blocking the claim I wouldn’t have even felt him get hurt.” Suddenly Buffy smiled, “Spike says that you were always his favorite, ‘cept when you were forcing Scott on me.” Willow flushed realizing that she’d been influencing Buffy to cheat on her . . .boyfriend? . . .mate? . . .husband? confused she decided to ask.

“Are you guys like married?”

“Only in the demon world,” Suddenly she laughed, seeing the confusion on Willow’s face she quickly explained, “Spike’s grumbling that we should be married in all worlds but we had to wait until I was legal.” Seeing Buffy’s happiness something that hadn’t been in large supply during her fatal relationship with Angel Willow realized that this relationship was good for her friend and decided to be behind her.

“I’m happy for you Buffy, you deserve some happiness in your life. And that you’ve found someone who understands you so well.” Joy was apparent on Buffy’s face as relieved tears pooled in her eyes,

“Thank you so much Will.” With a watery smile the two friends hugged when Joyce came in suddenly and suggested that Willow stay the night instead of going home, seeing how late it was. So the two best friends walked upstairs to gossip about thier boyfriends, and Buffy finally got her shower.