XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX1

*Red took that a lot better then I would have thought.*

*Yeah I was a little worried in the beginning but all in all it was fine. That’s not even close to how Xander and Giles are going to react.*

*(growl) Those wankers wouldn’t know true feelings if they danced naked in front of them.*

*(laugh) I know you’re right it’s just . . . is it wrong to want their blessing?*

*No luv they’re your friends, of course it’s Ok to want them to approve of your boyfriend. But hey if it makes you feel better think about it this way, your mom and best girlfriend have already given you their blessing, that’s two down and two or three to go.*

*Well as callous as this sounds, I don’t care what Cordy thinks, Faith is Faith so she doesn’t care and Oz is a werewolf so he wouldn’t really care. Giles and Xander’s opinions matter to me though and they’re both going to go ballistic. I think that if I wait longer and have more of your ‘evil plans’ with my support behind us it will make a difference in it. *

*Yeah most likely.* Spike was distracted form the conversation by a sudden wave of sadness from Buffy, *Luv what’s wrong?*

*It’s silly. I just miss you already and you just left not ten hours ago. This is a lot harder then I would have ever thought.*

*Love say the word and I invest in a top of the line crypt in Sunnydale.*

*God you have no idea how tempting that is, but not yet. I’ll probably break sometime next year. Because this is HARD!*

*(laugh) Hey did you talk to your mom about coming down here for the summer?*

*Yeah! She said I could as long as I give her a week’s notice that I’m leaving. She’s still really jumpy about me going anywhere without running away.*

*That’s great! To bad we can’t get back to Htrae. I’d be like an anniversary trip.*

*(giggle) Well technically our anniversary is in May if you remember correctly.*

*‘Corse I do silly bint. But seeing as how we’re not going to be together then we can celebrate this summer.*

*Sounds like fun, I’ve got to go mom wants me to help her carry stuff for the gallery. I swear you get super powers from the PTB and you’re suddenly everyone’s pack mule.*

*(laugh) Goodnight Slayer, I love you.*

*Love you too Spike.*

XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX Buffy’s birthday

The night before Buffy’s 18th birthday Spike was lying in his crypt waiting for her to come in from patrol so they could chat when he suddenly felt a dizzy sensation spear through Buffy and then dissipate. Spike sat up straight, something wasn’t right, he could barely feel the Slayer through the bond and she was scared, very scared. In a fiery burst of temper Spike leapt off his coffin and began to pace back and forth continuing to try to get to Buffy through the bond, but he couldn’t feel her the way he was used to, anytime he got close to her consciousness she seemed to fade causing him to pull back

*Buffy love, are you OK?* No answer came to his frantic question but he could tell she wasn’t ignoring him; it was like she couldn’t hear him. Suddenly Spike felt Buffy’s wrist bend in an awkward way, one that wouldn’t be any problem to a Slayer but Spike felt Buffy’s pain. What scared him more than anything though was that his own wrist didn’t hurt, not even a twinge. Knowing something horrible must have happened Spike rushed out of his crypt and quickly ran to his car that had been stored in an underground parking lot a block from his graveyard, five hours from now he would know exactly what was going on.

XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX

Spike used his all his vampire-enhanced senses to find Buffy when he got out of his car in Sunnydale but he had to retreat once the sun began rising, looking around him her quickly decided Willow’s house was closer than the Summer’s and ran the three blocks to her house.

“Spike!” Willow was shocked when she opened the door and found her best friend’s boyfriend standing there. Realizing that the sun would be up any second she quickly invited him in before questioning him as too why he was in town,

“Something’s up with the Slayer, something bad. If I had to guess I’d say that her powers have fled the building, the state and the country, she was almost killed by a vamp last night and then almost got lost walking home.”

“What? Is that possible?”

“Dru always reckoned that if you put the right mix of herbs into a Slayers bloodstream the powers would sleep for a while, but I don’t see how Buffy could have ingested these herbs accidentally. There’s no way any vamp could have gotten close enough to drug her. The drug would have to be placed in a very specific vain in order not to be immediately killed off by the Slayer immune system. Only someone close to her could have done this. Do you know if she’s been to the doctor lately?” Slightly thrown off by this sudden wash of information Willow took a second to process it before answering.

“No, no she hasn’t gone to any doctors since she was called. My bet would be that Xander is under someone’s thrall or it’s just something Slayers go though when they turn eighteen.”

“A Slayer routinely losing her powers when she’s eighteen? Something like that would get around the demon world and I’ve never heard of it. Granted not many Slayers live to eighteen. My best bet would be the watcher.”

“Giles?” Willow was thrown, there was absolutely no possible way that Giles could have done it, he wanted Buffy to be a Slayer, he wouldn’t have any reason to drug his own Slayer. “It can’t be Giles. He gains nothing by making sure Buffy loses her powers, in fact he loses a Slayer.”

“Yes but maybe the Council of Wankers . . . she’s waking up! Call her tell her to come over here!”

“Can’t you just . . .” Willow made a hand motion that was supposed to convey telepathy.

“Not when she doesn’t have powers, I could order her too but she’d just be like a zombie and I can’t do that to her.” The energy that had held Spike together throughout the entire disaster began to wear off and he sank to the floor in a puddle, trying to get his composure back while Willow called Buffy.

“Buffy, can you come over for a little while before school? . . . Why? Uh, I’ve got a surprise.” At Spike’s questioning glace Willow shrugged “OK I’ll see you soon.”

“What’s with the secrecy Red?”

“Well I didn’t get Buffy anything good for her birthday anyway; I can say you’re my present.” Spike laughed weakly,

“What were you doing up so early anyway?”

“Homework. You want anything? I don’t have any blood but I could make tea.”

“No that’s Ok Red, we’ll just wait for Buffy to get here, and you’ve got to have some questions for me anyway.” Willow smiled; she had been waiting for this opportunity.

XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX

Chapter 8
Helpless pt2

XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX

Willow slid to the floor across from Spike and threw out the sheet of questions that had been brewing in her head ever since she had found out about the happy couple and went with her gut, “What will you do if she never gets her powers back?”

Spike seriously considered the question, “Truthfully? Things get a lot less complicated, for me and her.” He quickly pinpointed the Slayer’s location before continuing, he didn’t want her to overhear and assume the wrong thing, “An unsouled vampire and the Slayer don’t actually have an easy road ahead of them ya know?” He reached into his pocket for a cigarette and lit it before continuing, “More so for us because I’m the Son of the Master and she’s already killed half of my line. On the other hand though Buffy isn’t Buffy without her powers, she’s told me a bit about her pre-called years and apparently she was real shallow. If she went back to that I don’t think I’d feel the same way about her. If her personality stays the same then of course we’d stay together. One thing that’s unquestionable is that we’d have to get rid of the claim, I can barley think for fear I’ll give her a command that she’ll have no choice to follow.”

Willow took a second to absorb this information before continuing with her questioning, “How many people have you killed lately?”

Spike laughed softly, “Four since Buffy left LA. I’ve turned into this horrible vigilante; I drink from criminal types and leave them outside police stations. Two I killed were accidents; it’s hard to pull out in time to leave them alive. The other two were planning to go after Buffy.”

Willow was slightly shocked, “Humans? Humans wanted to go after Buffy?”

“Yeah. When she was down in LA she busted up a whorehouse that they had apparently been frequenting. It was in their minds to take up a little revenge, I dissuaded them of the idea.” Shocked it took Willow a second to think of another question. “Better hurry up Red, Slayer’s almost here.”

“Yeah, this claim thing. Assuming Buffy gets her powers back and grows old you’d stay with her until she died right? Have you thought at all about how hard that would be? What I’m asking is would you ever turn Buffy if she was dying?”

Spike stared at Willow in disbelief for a second, “You mean you don’t know?”

“Know what?”

“That Slayers are immortal.”

“What!”

“Yep. Once they turn 25 they stop aging, and no human sickness can infect or kill them after they’re called. I figured with all your researching that you would have learned that by now. ‘Corse not many know it, how many Slayers even get to 25 anyway?”

Willow gaped at him in shock, “Does Buffy know?”

“Yeah I thought she would have told you. Better get the door Red, Slayer’s walking up right now”

Still in shock Willow got up and opened the door to her friend, “Hey Will. What’s . . .” Buffy trailed of when she saw Spike, going still before suddenly throwing herself into his arms, hugging him tightly. Standing on the side Willow was stuck by how well Buffy and Spike fit together. Any other time they had been together, they had been fighting so their jigsaw like fit had gone unnoticed. Willow watched Buffy’s face as the Slayer slowly realized that something was wrong with the claim ultimately wrenching herself away and asking him out right, “Why are you ignoring me?”

Spike sighed, “I’m not, you just can’t hear me answer you.”

“What?”

“Humans and vampires can’t communicate telepathically.”

“Humans?” Suddenly putting together the pieces Buffy sank into an armchair, “I’ve lost my powers haven’t I?” When both Willow and Spike didn’t answer she asked again, “Haven’t I?”

“Yes luv. I think that someone’s been giving you injections with a mix of herbs. The good thing is that I know an antidote.”

“Good you can just . . .”

“The bad news is that it has to be injected within an hour of the first injection.” Spike interrupted her, “Your powers should come back sometime tonight if it’s the poison I think it is. What worries me is that the poison has to be injected into a specific spot in order to not be flushed out by the Slayer immunities so the chances of a vampire or demon having put it in are extraordinarily slim. I believe . . .”

“Giles.” Buffy interrupted him, “It has to be Giles, he’s been pushing crystals lately, I zoned out last night when he put a big blue one in front of me. He must have done it then.”

Spike took a second to control his rage towards the Watcher before continuing, “I figured as much. Buffy if he does it again you need to come straight to me for the antidote; I’m going to hide in the basement of the school. I think the best course of action is to pretend that you don’t know any of this, just act like you’re still incapacitated then when the time comes that the entire plan is revealed you can defeat whatever the evil is.”

“I don’t know if I can do that.”

“Well we can do plan B . . .”

XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX

Buffy stopped in the basement before class to tell Spike how everything had gone, “He actually suggested it was the flu! I’m just so sure flu bugs routinely rob Slayers of their powers right?”

“How’d everyone else react?”

“I haven’t told them yet I figure that it’ll be over sometime tonight so what’s the point in worrying everyone else?”

“You’re probably right.”

XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX

That night as Buffy sat in the library with Giles, Spike watched, unnoticed in the shadows he smiled sadly when Buffy tried to get Giles to agree to take her to the ice show, but the older man was distracted when he set the crystal in front of Buffy Spike let out a small growl, he watched as Giles carefully measured the formula and began to inject it into her skin Spike jumped out of the shadows and forced himself to sound casual, “Always knew they injected steroids into the Slayers.” Giles seemed to be in shock.

“Spike?”

“You remember me? I’m touched Watcher. Heard the Slayer was having a birthday, figured I’d come into town to make sure it was as good as the pervious one. Thought she’s like a surprise. So Surprise!” With that Spike grabbed Buffy and ran to the place where no one would look for them, his house.

XXxxXXxxXXxxXXxxXX