Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to all of you who reviewed! I was really nervous, and I'm glad to see some people liked the chapter. For all of you who wanted to know, Angel and Spike are eighteen while Buffy is seventeen. Spike and Angel only have three months of high school left. Once again, I have to thank Enchantress and Allison for all of their help. You guys rock!
Disclamier - The songs are by Evanescence


*******************

Catch me as I fall
Say you're here and it's all over now
Speaking to the atmosphere
No one's here and I fall into myself


The next night at the Bronze, Buffy decided to try talking to Spike for once, even though she knew it was likely she'd make a huge fool of herself. Finding that she really didn't care, she approached him as confidently as she could, smiling at him brightly as she greeted him. "Hey, Spike."

He almost dropped his drink when he saw Buffy. Trying to pretend everything was alright, he asked her casually, "Hey, Buffy. How are you?"

Buffy shrugged, edging closer to him. "I'm good... Tired, but good."

Spike laughed and sympathized, "Yeah, I know the feeling."

"So, how are you and Harm doing?" Buffy asked, chewing on her bottom lip nervously.

He didn't answer because suddenly, he was looking at her and seeing a lot more than Angel's little sister. Spike noticed how utterly beautiful Buffy was and wondered incredulously how he hadn't known it all along. But she deserved better than him - he was merely leftovers from Drusilla, Cecily, and eventually Harmony. He foolishly gave his heart and soul to all of them without foreseeing the pain they'd put him through. Cecily had walked all over him, and Drusilla had cheated. Harmony was hardly an improvement, and he was a mess. He couldn't be with Buffy for that sole reason and hated himself for even thinking about her that way. It was dangerous territory.

"Spike? Hello, Spike, are you okay?"

Spike closed his eyes tightly as he grabbed Buffy's hand, keeping his eyes shut as he asked, "Do you want to dance, love?"

"Open your eyes.” She requested, pulling him onto the dance floor with a smile.

The truth drives madness
I know I can stop the pain if I will take it all away
Don't turn away
Don't give into the pain
Don't try to hide
Though they're screaming your name
Don't close your eyes
God knows what lies behind them
Don't turn out the lights
Never sleep, never die


Spike pulled Buffy closer to him, hoping to feel what it would be like to be in her arms every night rather than Malibu Barbie Harmony. But nothing would be the same - people would blame him for doing something stupid. Spike twirled Buffy away from him, hearing her giggle, which brought a smile to his face.

I'm frightened by what I see
But somehow I know that there's much more to come
Immobilized by my fear
And soon to be blinded by tears
I can stop the pain if I will away
Don't turn away
Don't give into the pain
Don't try to hide
Though they're screaming your name
Don't close your eyes
God knows what lies behind them


Buffy laid her head on Spike's chest as he secured his arms around her waist, rocking her gently to the beat of the music.

Don't turn out the lights
Never sleep
Never die
Fallen angels at my feet
Whispered voices at my ear


Spike looked up to see Harmony and Cordelia walk in and gulped. This was not going to be pretty - he could tell by the way Harmony was looking at him that she wanted to stick her cherry-red fingernails into his throat until he could no longer breathe.

Spike let go of Buffy, who was confused until she saw Harmony walk over to them and realized Spike was ashamed to be seen with her. Tears filled her eyes and she backed up slowly, wanting to be away from him as soon as possible. Noticing her distress, he tried to grab her again and insisted, "Buffy, pet, it's not what you're thinking."

Buffy didn't wait around to hear any more of his stupid excuses and hurried from the crowded club. She opened the front door to the Bronze and stepped outside into the nice, crispy fresh air. Feeling uncomfortably warm, she took off her sweater to reveal a black silk halter top to match her black tight jeans.

Spike ran out after her, not wanting to hear what Harmony had to say or caring, for that matter. He saw Buffy and called out to her, hoping it wasn't too late. "Buffy, wait!"

Buffy quickly tried to replace her sweater, hoping it might disguise her from him.

"Don't," Spike said, eyes widening as he got a view of her nicely tanned back.

"You didn't have to come out here - I'm fine. Just a little hot," she explained hurriedly, probably trying to convince herself more than him.

In the background, a new song could faintly be heard as Spike approached her with a guilty look on his face.

You don't remember me
But I remember you
I lie awake and try so hard
Not to think of you
But who can decide what they dream?
And dream I do.......


"Buffy, I'm sorry." Spike said, truly regretting what had happened back in the club.


"Don't be - it was just a dance, right?" Buffy smiled sadly, staring down at the pavement.


Spike lifted her chin with one finger and said gently, "No, love, it wasn't just a dance."

Buffy looked at him funny, wondering what he was saying, desperately hoping that it was what she wanted to hear.

"It was more than just a dance, Buffy - it was an amazing dance," Spike said as he rubbed her cheek with his thumb. Realizing that he might be a little too close, he backed up and was suddenly at a loss as to what else to say.

I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breath
You're taking me over
Have you forgotten all that I know
All that we had..


"So, I should probably go," Buffy said uneasily, trying to pass him but failing as he grabbed her arm. She glanced at him, but he had his eyes averted.


"Who's taking you home?"

"I'm gonna ask Willow to."

Spike released her arm and turned to look at her, eyes tender. "Okay, but if Red can't do it, I want you to come find me so I can take you home, alright?" Spike smiled at her, joking, "Don't want the poofter to have a bloody cow because I let you walk home."

Buffy smiled and walked back into the Bronze, feeling his eyes on her every step of the way.

You saw my mourning my love for you
And touched my hand
I knew you loved me then

I believe in you
I'll give up everything just to find you
I have to be with you to live to breath
Your taking over me

I look into the mirror and see your face
If I look deep enough
So many things inside that are
Just like you are taking over me


A/N - A special thanks to all who reviewed: Spike_rulez, DaniD, Jenny, Nicki, Mali, vitalis, frederique, 76_Bloody_Trombones, dee, and Klai, MarstersGirl13.