Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to, Allison and Enchantress. Both of them are amazing. I hope all of you like this chapter!
Disclamier - The song is by Allison Krauss



"So, is she gonna go out with you?"

Lindsey looked around the room, avoiding the girl’s eyes. They were so intense, and he didn't understand why she was so mad about Buffy wanting to be with Spike. Women could be impossible, which was why Lindsey didn't have anything long-term with them. They were useless.

"Look, I don't know if I can do this. Buffy’s a good person, and I don't wanna get on her bad side," Lindsey said, pacing back and forth nervously.

"Look, Lindsey, I didn't ask you if you wanted to do this. I told you that you have to, like it or not," replied the girl as she twirled a lock of hair around her finger.

Noticing Lindsey was silent, she approached him with a sweet, comforting smile and said, "Lindsey, there is no reason to be scared."

Lindsey pushed the girl against the wall with little force and growled, "I'm not fucking scared."

"Then what’s the problem?" she asked, not intimidated at all.

Lindsey backed off and replied, "I can tell we’re making a mistake."

"That bitch is trying to steal my boyfriend. If anybody made a mistake, it was her."

Lindsey chuckled and earned a punch in the arm from the girl. He smirked and said, "You really need to get a life."

*

"Mom, I'm going to the Bronze!" Buffy yelled to her mother as she ran out the door and into Angel's car without a word to Angel.

"Angel, please be back here by eleven-thirty. You both have school tomorrow," Joyce said to Angel as she finished up with the dishes.

"Sure, Mom."

By the time they reached the Bronze, Cordy and Willow were already there and, strangely enough, talking to each other.

"So, you think if I stop hanging out with Harmony, I'll get better grades?" Cordy asked as she looked at Willow with a knowing smirk.

Willow and Cordy giggled as Buffy came walking over, arms crossed over her chest as she asked, "Well, don't you two look comfy?"

Willow looked up, along with Cordy, and answered with a shrug, "Yeah, we were just talking."

Cordy noticed the tension between the two best friends, and not wanting to be in the middle of it, she chose to try and make an effort with Buffy.

"Buffy, can we talk?" Cordy asked, standing up.

Buffy rolled her eyes and motioned for Cordy to follow her to the bathrooms.

"What can I do for you, Cordy?" Buffy asked coldly.

Cordy walked over to the mirrors and took her makeup out of her makeup bag to do a simple touch-up while replying, "I know we don't get along, Buffy, but I'm dating your brother and I've been making an effort with Willow. I want to try with you. I know we may never be friends, but I want to be able to hope that one day it might be that way."

Buffy softened as she saw that Cordy was really struggling with what she was saying and trying to do her best. After all, it wasn't everyday that Queen Cordy asked for forgiveness.

"Okay, we can try. But I’m not promising anything," Buffy said, smiling a little.

Cordy giggled, relieved that Buffy had caved finally. "But we can still hang out sometimes, right?"

Buffy nodded and said teasingly, "Yeah, but we have to be careful. I mean, we both have our reputations."

Cordy followed Buffy out of the bathroom, laughing the whole way.

"I wonder where my brother ran off to," Buffy said curiously as she ran a hand through her long blonde locks of hair.

"Ohh, he went to pick up Spike," volunteered Willow.

Dread overwhelmed Buffy and she snapped, "Great, that’s just fan-fucking-tastic."
Willow and Cordy almost choked on their drinks upon hearing her harsh language.
"What’s wrong?" Cordy asked, staring at Buffy worriedly.

Buffy told Cordy the whole story about she and Spike, and even though she didn't know if she was making the right choice or not in telling her, she took the risk anyway. She needed to get it off her chest as best she could.

"I have an idea," Cordy said finally after a few minutes of thoughtful silence.

"What?" Willow and Buffy said at the same time.

"I have a friend of mine that does hair and makeup. You know, the whole deal." Cordy waved her hand. "Well, what if I take you there to get a makeover? You know, fix your bleached locks. Give you some light makeup and maybe a few new clothes."

"Cordy, I don't wanna change my image for a guy," Buffy said as she held a sad smile on her face.

"Well, then don't think of it like that. Think of it as you doing this for you, not for some guy." Cordy tilted her head. "You're doing this to make you feel better. Don't dwell on some guy, Buffy, if he isn't showing his feelings back."

"That’s the problem." Buffy laughed bitterly and continued through clenched teeth, "I don't know what his feelings are. One minute, he’s all with the kissing and stuff, and the next, he’s telling me how I don't know what I want."

On cue, Angel and Spike walked through the doors of the Bronze, and Spike's eyes were instantly glued to Buffy as he saw the pure rage flash in her eyes.

"Maybe this was a bad idea, Angel," Spike said as he finally let his eyes travel away from Buffy and turned to leave.

Angel grabbed Spike's arm before he could go. "No, Spike. You and Buffy will work through this, even if I have to beat both of you to death."

Spike didn't say anything more, knowing Angel was serious and not wanting to argue with him tonight.

"Hey, Bu..." Angel was cut short as Cordy slapped her hand over his mouth.

"Shhh. Please, I wanna hear this," Cordy said as she pointed to the stage.

Angel rolled his eyes but took his place next to his girlfriend as Spike sat between Willow and Buffy, feeling her tense up immediately.

"Tonight, we have a special guest singing. Ladies and gentlemen, Alison Krauss."


It's amazing how you can speak right to my heart
Without saying a word you can light up the dark
Try as I may I could never explain
What I hear when you don't say a thing

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all


Buffy rested her head on her hand. As she felt Cordy's eyes on her, she turned to look at her and smiled, telling her she was fine.


All day long I can hear people talking out loud
But when you hold me near, you drown out the crowd
Old Mr. Webster could never define
What's being said between your heart and mine.

The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all.



Would things get easier? Would she realize she was better off without him? Does he want her to realize she’s better off without him?

All of these questions were running through his head, and he didn't have the answer to any of them. He knew he was tired of sulking all day, and he knew people were sick of seeing him like this. Things moved so fast - he just wanted things to go back to the way they were. All of his life, he had been wanting unconditional love from a woman, and when he was finally offered it on a silver platter, he turned it away.


The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all.



Buffy needed some air, and it wasn't because of the song - it was because Spike was sitting so close to her. Spike watched her get up to leave and saw Cordy smile at him, signaling him to go after her. Spike followed her as she left the Bronze to walk outside.

"Buffy," Spike said softly, wishing she’d turn to face him.

Buffy let the tears fall but refused to turn to him to let him see her weakness.

"Please, Spike, please don't," Buffy pleaded as she wrapped her arms around herself and let out a tiny sob.

Spike felt his heart break when he heard a low sob escape her.

"Please, love, can I come closer?" Spike asked through a choked-up voice.


The smile on your face lets me know that you need me
There's a truth in your eyes sayin' you'll never leave me
The touch of your hand says you'll catch me if ever I fall
You say it best when you say nothing at all.



Buffy didn't say anything at all, so Spike moved closer to her and gently laid his hand on her shoulder.

"I don't need your pity, Spike," Buffy said with sudden venom in her voice.

Spike hung his head and replied, "You're right, you don't, but I'm not giving you that. I'm trying to help you, but you keep pushing me away."

Buffy snapped. She turned to him and yelled, "I'm pushing you away? You have got to be kidding me! I try to be there for you, and you push me away. So don't you dare try to turn this around on me. Spike, I told you how I feel, and if I didn't, then I'll say it again. I need you in my life, you are all I need. I want you to know that when you’re weak, I'm there for you to be strong, or when I'm weak, I expect you to be there for me to be strong."

They both had tears running freely down their cheeks by the time Buffy was finished.

"I wish Angel never told me," Spike whispered.

Buffy looked at him in confusion and asked, "What are you talking about?"

"Nothing, just me being a bloody git," Spike replied as he watched her look at the ground.

"I can't wait anymore, Spike. I've waited way too long for you, and if you don't have any feelings for me, then I’m gonna quit trying." Buffy closed her eyes tightly. "I just wanna know, did that kiss mean anything to you?"

Spike cupped her face in his hands, and as she opened her eyes, he whispered earnestly, "More than you'll ever know."

"Then what’s the problem?" Buffy asked as she felt Spike pull more and more away from her emotionally.

"I’ve already told you," he answered forlornly, sending her into another fit of rage.

"Oh, that’s right. Poor little naive Buffy. She doesn’t know what she wants, you don't wanna break her heart, you want what’s best for her."

Spike's was ready to lose his temper and found he couldn't hold it in any longer.

"I never said I could give you anything," he shot back.

Buffy glared at him and retorted, "Then what can I do to make you see that you’re what I need, Spike? I'm wearing my heart on my sleeve, and you seem to be having a grand old time stomping all over it. This is it, Spike - I'm not asking you again. Do you want to be with me?"

She prayed that he would say yes, but Spike turned away and said tearfully, "I'm sorry, love."

Buffy felt as though she couldn't breathe. This was it - Spike really didn't want her. She couldn’t stand there and beg him to take her as his. She’d made enough of a fool of herself. She stared at him sadly and murmured, "Goodbye, William."

Spike watched Buffy leave until she was out of sight. He wasn't going to let her walk home alone, so he went inside to find Willow to take her home. Things would be better this way. If Buffy was with him, then she would have to deal with his past, and he knew she wouldn't want that.

As he went back inside, Spike didn't notice that Lindsey was watching the whole thing from a distance and was getting ready to make his move on little miss Buffy Summers.


A/N : Thanks to, Gotkona, Daisy, Vitalis, Marstersgirl13, SarahandJamesFanatic, DaniD, Jessica, Bree, Jenny, and 76_Bloody_Trombones.