Author's Chapter Notes:
Devin, Kimber, SarahandJamesFanatic, Amelia-Jane, Klai, jt and spikestheman, thank you from the bottom of my heart, you can’t believe how much I love to read your comments.



Warning: This chapter has some William/Aimée, nothing graphic though, it’s merely a mention, because I really couldn’t bring myself to write it. *shudders*



This chapter is the same length of the other chapters, but I can promise the next one will be longer and will have a taste of what we’ve been waiting for (or at least what I’ve been waiting for), William and Elizabeth will finally meet. ;)



Glossary:
Curandera: Sort of a white witch that uses natural remedies to cure any kind of ailments.
Chapter 13

The next day

Aimée had never been so happy in her life; things were definitely looking up for her. Her relationship with William was growing stronger with each passing day. She was amazed at how open she could be with him—within certain limits of course, since there were things that she couldn’t share with him no matter how hard she tried—and how he treated her. He might be coarse and more than a bit unrefined with others, but with her he was almost tender and passionate and caring. If only he were rich and came from a good family, she’d marry him in a heartbeat. But he wasn’t either and she refused to give up on all that she’d dreamed of for so many years for love.

At least she imagined that all she was feeling for William had to be love. She’d never anticipated that she could feel like this for him, that definitely wasn’t part of her plan, but she wouldn’t let it hinder it. Yes, she might be in love with William, but she also loved all that Angel represented for her. Money and position were above love in her book.

She felt comforted with the fact that even if she’d marry without love, she would experience all the spectrum of physical pleasure with William. So far they hadn’t gone farther than a few heated kisses that had robbed her breath and left her wanting for more, but that would change soon. Tegua, the town’s curandera, had provided her with some potions that would ensure that she didn’t become pregnant and she was all set to seduce William now. Thank God she’d paid attention when her friends in Boston talked about all those things or she’d be as abysmally ignorant as Elizabeth surely was, because she didn’t want to be saddled with a child. She knew she’d have to have one eventually, since Angel would surely want to have an heir, but it would be until she wanted one, not him, and definitely not William.

Her dream was so close to coming true that she could practically taste it. When Teresa had told her that Angel had broken his engagement with Elizabeth, she practically jumped with glee. The only downside was that she couldn’t rub in her sister’s face that Angel had preferred her, Aimée, to be his wife and not little Miss Prude and Perfect, because he had to do the honorable thing and let her be the one that said that she’d broken the engagement and not him. And William, well, maybe once she married Angel she could arrange to keep seeing him whenever she was in Galveston, it wasn’t as if she had to end the affair just because she got married.

* ~ * ~ *

Two days later…

Aimée lied in her bed, still basking in the afterglow that being William’s lover had brought her. He’d been all she’d dreamed he’d be and more, so much more. She’d definitely had to convince him to keep seeing her after her marriage with Angel. He might not be too happy at first, but she was sure he’d cave in eventually.

She was startled out of her thoughts when her mother opened the door without knocking.

“You have to help me convince Buffy, Aimée,” Joyce pleaded with her younger daughter. “We can not let her join the convent.”

“But mother, you know that when Elizabeth decides something it is very difficult to convince her otherwise.” Aimée sighed, why did Buffy have to make things more difficult for her by entering the convent? First it had been hearing her mother going on and on about the wonderful marriage Elizabeth was going to make, and now all her mother talked about was how to get her out of the convent. Elizabeth this, Elizabeth that, argh! Hopefully that would change once Angel made his intentions clear to everyone. Aimée loved being the center of all the attention as she’d been in Boston, and her sister’s rash decision had taken that from her. Oh, how she wished she could see Buffy’s face when she learned that Angel had broken the so-called engagement with her because he was in love with Aimée.

“I know that, but I already sent a note to Sister Margaret with Pedro asking her if Elizabeth could come to take care of me and she said that she would send her back tomorrow morning.”

“Take care of you, mother? Are you sick?”

“No, but Elizabeth doesn’t know that and she’ll come back if she thinks I am sick. You see, I received a letter from your Aunt Darla yesterday; Angel is back in Campo Real and asked if he could visit us tomorrow, so I imagined that maybe if they saw each other, that’ll make your sister change her mind about entering the convent.”

Angel was back? Hmm, maybe this could actually work in her favor. She couldn’t wait to see her sister’s face when she saw her love face to face.

* ~ * ~ *

Giles felt uneasiness settle in him as he listened to the young man standing in front of him. “B-but you said you wanted to become a legal merchant, no more smuggling or being a pirate, was that a lie?”

“It wasn’t a lie and I still want that. But I have to do this one last trip, Mr. Giles. It’s a very good business and now that I am thinking of getting married, the money will come in handy.”

“Getting married? To whom?” The relief Giles had felt after William had assured him he would stop his illegal activities was short lived as he heard that.

“I’d rather not say yet, but I can tell you it’s the daughter of one of the best families in town.”

“She doesn’t care that you don’t have a last name?”

“That was the other thing I had to talk to you about. I know I can’t have my father’s last name because he never recognized me as his son a-and I wanted to know if, it’d be perfectly alright if you don’t, but…” William stuttered, suddenly uncertain if he could bring himself to ask the man that had become almost like a father to him if he’d give him his last name so he could marry Aimée. It wasn’t that he loved her, not yet anyway, but she was beautiful, passionate, came from one of the best families in town, even if said family was practically penniless, and she seemed not to care if he came from a good family, or even had a family, since aside from Mr. Giles and his crew, he couldn’t think of anyone else that cared for him at all.

“William, I know my name isn’t as good as De Alcazar, but you know I think of you as a son, so would you mind if I recognized you as that?” Giles said, holding his breath as he waited for William’s answer, hoping that was what he had been trying to ask.

“Of course I don’t mind,” William said, his eyes suddenly moist as a big smile blossomed in his handsome face. “And what are you saying? I think Giles is as good a name as De Alcazar, both are the last names of the only two persons that have gave a damn about me.”

Giles cleared his throat, trying to hold back his emotions. “So, I’ll begin the paperwork and as soon as you come back from your trip we’ll go to the Mayor’s office to finalize it.”

“Sounds good to me.” William’s smile disappeared as he remembered the other issue that had brought him to Mr. Giles’ office. “Hmmm, did you find out anything else about Snyder?”

“Yes, quite a few things actually, although I think we need to investigate a little more into those matters before telling Angel.”

“Angel? Is he back in Campo Real?”

“Yes, he is. He’s coming to visit tomorrow; maybe you’d like to be here when he arrives?”

“Of course I would. It’s been so many years; you think he’d remember me?” William asked, hopefully.

“I am sure he does. He was inconsolable when we discovered you weren’t in Campo Real.”

“I can’t wait for tomorrow then. Seeing my brother after all these years—even if he doesn’t know I’m his brother—will be like having a part of my father again with me,” William said wistfully.

tbc

On the next chapter Angel and William reunite, Elizabeth returns from the convent and sees Angel for the first time in years and then finally William and Elizabeth meet for the first time.