Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, so my muse decided to change gears in this story. She just crushed my outline *cries* and gave a 180° turn to the story. Not that I think you'll mind, at all. ;) Being honest, neither do I. Oh, well, I hope you enjoy!


I dedicate this chapter to Amelia-Jane, DK, DaniD, SarahandJamesFanatic and Vette, who were so nice with their reviews on the last chapter and to everyone that has ever reviewed this story. *huge bear hugs* And of course to my lovely betas, MarzBar and Jen, without you two I'd be lost, really, thank you so much.
Chapter 19

Buffy’s heart beat so fast that she felt as if it might escape from her chest as she clung to the man that had saved her from an almost certain death. She couldn’t focus on anything but the fact that she’d never been so scared in her life; that if it hadn’t been for him she could have fallen and would probably be dead now.

Spike couldn’t believe what was happening. She was in his arms. Granted, after a scare like that, it was not precisely of her own free will, but he was not one to look at a a gift horse in the mouth anyway. He didn’t dare move in fear that if he did, she would become aware of where she was and pull away from him.

Her scent surrounded him, making him wonder briefly if he should be the one to pull away first. He discarded the idea as he felt himself drown deeper and deeper under her spell. If he’d been unable to take her out of his thoughts before, now that he’d had her this close to him, it’d be almost impossible.

After what could have been hours or just a few minutes, Buffy began to calm down, a feeling of belonging welled inside her. She’d never felt so safe, so loved in her life. She inhaled and the faint aroma of cigar, liquor and something that must be undeniably his filled her as she began to think clearly once more.

She almost fainted as her mind fixed on where she was and in all that she’d been thinking a little while ago. Safe, loved? What on Earth was wrong with her? It was because of him that she almost fell into the chasm and died. If he hadn’t appeared so suddenly and scared her out of her mind… She shuddered and buried all those unhealthy things she’d been feeling as her fury gave her strength to push him away from her.

Spike staggered to regain his balance as he suddenly was pushed backwards. He regarded the furious girl in front of him; she looked so beautiful standing in the sunlight with her eyes blazing with anger against him, even dressed in that dreadful habit. What color would her hair be underneath the white coif and veil? Auburn like her sister’s or maybe blond… He let his eyes wander to her eyebrows, thinking maybe golden blond was a more likely bet. His fingers itched to discover it as he moved closer to her once again.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Buffy asked angrily, as she moved to the side, away from him and the edge of the cliff that was still behind her.

Spike shook his head as he tried to clear it. “What am I doing? What the hell were you trying to do? Kill yourself?”

She looked at him as if he’d become insane, maybe her sister was telling the truth for once and he really was crazy? “Kill myself?” she said disbelievingly, moving closer to him as she yelled at him, “Kill myself? You were the one trying to kill me! I was just here minding my own business when you appeared from out of nowhere and scared me! It was your fault that I almost fell off the cliff!” She finished poking his chest with her finger.

He took her finger in his hand and brought it to his mouth, giving it a kiss. “They say it’s a sin to have a bad temper, Santa Elizabeth. Instead of yelling at me, you should be thankful.”

She tried to pull her finger out of his grasp, as a shiver ran up and down her back. “I don’t have anything to be thankful for, let alone be thankful to you! Leave me alone!”

“Ah-ah-ah, no can do, Santa Elizabeth,” Spike said, lowering his voice as he let go of her finger, just to grab her by her upper arms and pull her to his chest. “At least not before I do this,” he added before lowering his head toward hers.

Buffy’s eyes widened as she saw his head lowering towards hers, she tried to wriggle out of his arms, but all her strength seemed to leave her as his lips covered hers. She closed her eyes and let the attraction she felt for him overrule her senses.

Sensing her capitulation to his kisses, he moved his hands up to cradle her face and tilted it so he could kiss her more deeply.

Maybe he did have a chance in hell with Santa Elizabeth? And even if he didn’t, he’d at least have this, so he’d best make the most of it. He could sense that this was her first kiss, her innocence clear by the way she was reacting to him, but at the same time he could also feel the fire that had been present every time they’d met before. How could he ever think that he could settle for less than what this girl made him feel? He’d never felt this for anyone, this all-encompassing feeling of belonging to someone, of being capable of doing anything just to feel her close to him.

Feeling slightly lightheaded from his kisses, Buffy hesitatingly moved her hands up his chest to put them around his neck, sighing when he ran his tongue over her bottom lip.

As soon as he felt her sigh, he seized the chance to plunder her mouth. He moaned at his first taste of her. She tasted like a slice of heaven or at least what he imagined it would taste like. She was sweet and warm and pliant in his arms as she clung to him, following his lead as he taught her how to kiss.

His kisses were like a force of nature and she couldn’t do anything but yield to them, to him. She couldn’t think of anything else that wasn’t him or the way he was making her feel. She’d never felt anything remotely like this. Even when she’d dreamt of Angel kissing her, it’d been soft, tender, not like this. William kissed her as if he wanted to devour her, as if he wanted to brand her as his.

The thought of Angel hit her at the same time that William’s mouth left her lips to trail over her face, bringing her suddenly back to reality. Surprised at having been so lost in William that she’d forgotten everything she’d believed since she was a child, she pushed him away as she pressed her hands to her mouth and looked at him completely aghast at her actions.

tbc

Okay, so now it's your turn, do you approve or not?