Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much to effection, SarahandJamesFanatic, Vette, Amelia-Jane, Devin, teasha, Debbie, DaniD and jt for reviewing. It makes me very happy to know you're enjoying the story. :D
And a huge thank you to MarzBar and Jen for betaing this chapter for me. You two are simply wonderful.
Chapter 21

She shivered at the possessive tone he’d used, her knees turning to jelly when he began pressing little kisses to the shell of her ear, then her cheek, her jaw and finally her lips again, definitely erasing any inclination she’d had to flee.

Buffy didn’t understand what was making her act like this, but at the moment she couldn’t care less. Never before had she felt so complete, safe or even loved as she felt while William was kissing her. Not that she was sure that he loved her, because, how could he? They’d only seen each other two times, was it even possible to love someone you didn’t know?

She was pretty sure she could love him, though, not in the idealistic way she’d thought she loved Angel, because now she realized that whatever it was that she’d felt for him was nothing compared to what William made her feel. She’d never felt this all-consuming need to be close to him, not even in her dreams. William, on the other hand…Mmm, he just made her melt with his kisses, with his possessiveness, with every look he threw her way with those beautiful blue eyes that seemed to pierce her soul.

She imagined she should be thankful to her sister; she probably would never have met William if he hadn’t gone into Aimée’s room looking for her. She still wasn’t sure if there was something between them, although she hoped that her sister had been telling her the truth for once when she told her that they were only friends. She couldn’t bear to think he’d kissed Aimée as he was still kissing her. And even if there had been some kind of romantic involvement between them—she shuddered at the thought—that had been before, since her sister had made it very clear that she would be marrying Angel soon.

Buffy didn’t know what was happening between her and William, or what the future might hold for them other than she definitely wouldn’t be returning to the convent now. So what if he was a pirate and a smuggler as some people said? Somehow she felt that there was more to it, to him than that. There was something about him that called to her, that made her want to know anything and everything about him, that made her pray that he could feel the same for her.

“Kitten, pet, my Elizabeth,” he kept going with his list of pet names between kisses.

“Buffy,” she murmured breathlessly.

“What’s that, love?” Spike asked, moving his head slightly away from hers so he could gaze confusedly at her.

“You can call me Buffy,” she said, a sad smile appearing on her face. Hardly anyone used that name anymore since her father died.

“Buffy, my Buffy, I like it, almost as much as I like you,” he drawled, lowering his head once more to kiss her, only to find Buffy’s hand instead of her lips. “What’s the matter?” he all but whined when she moved a step back, looking at their surroundings.

For a few seconds he was afraid that she was going to escape or that maybe she’d seen someone nearby and she didn’t want to be seen with him, much like Aimée had, until she smiled at him, that is. When she smiled he thought maybe he’d died and gone to heaven. Then he prayed to a God that he’d never really believed in that this wasn’t a dream. He couldn’t bear it if it was. All his life he’d longed to find someone that would look or smile at him like that; if God existed He wouldn’t be so evil as to take her from him after all he’d gone through, would he?

Her smile broadened when she noticed his reaction after she’d pulled away from him; he looked so adorable acting like a child who had been denied his favorite toy. She spotted a flat rock a little to their left, perfect! She took his hand in hers and began walking towards the rock. “Come, let’s sit over there. Then we’ll talk.”

“Talk?”

“Yes, talk. I want to know more about you,” she explained as she sat down, not even slightly worried that her white habit was going to get dirty, and patted the space next to her, while she pulled his hand down.

He did as she asked, looking at her astonished. She wanted to get to know him? If he hadn’t been sure before that this girl, this woman, this angel that sat by his side was what he’d been waiting for all his life, he definitely knew now. Never before had any other woman cared enough for him to want to know him. Not even Aimée, who he had thought of marrying at one point, although it now seemed like a century ago.

“All right, so now tell me, what shall I call you?” she asked, as she entwined her fingers in his.

“You can call me William or Spike, love,” he replied. ‘As long as you end up calling me your husband, I truly don’t care what you call me now,’ he said to himself.

“What’s your surname?”

At that, Spike’s expression changed to one of deep sadness. “I don’t have one.”

Buffy looked at him in confusion. “You don’t? How is that possible?”

“My father died before he could recognize me as his.”

“Oh, God! I’m so sorry, William, I wouldn’t have asked if I’d known—”

“Don’t worry about that, love. There was no way you could have known.”

“And i-is that the reason why you turned into a pirate?”

“Yeah, in part.” He chuckled. “Although I guess you could say it was more out of luck that anything else.”

“Luck?” she asked curiously.

“Well, the person who tried to get rid of me didn’t count on the fact that Captain Roberts was going to take me under his wing and treat me like a father. I’m well aware of my reputation, Buffy. I might have even encouraged it a time or twenty as it comes in handy to have others afraid of me, but I’m going to change my life around. There’s just two more trips I’ve got to make and then I’ll take a job I’ve been offered here in Galveston.”

“A trip? You’re going away?” she said, disappointment lacing her words.

“I have to. I promised my crew we were going to do these trips a long time ago.” He got up from the rock and pulled her up into his arms. “In fact, we have to leave tonight for the first one.”

“Tonight? But that’s so soon…”

“And I’ll be back in one week, will you wait for me?”

“Wait for you?”

“Yeah and don’t do anything rash like joining the convent in the meantime.”

She giggled. “Don’t worry about that, I don’t think Father Michael will be too happy to sponsor me anymore after listening to my confession.”

“Well, do you think he’ll be happier if you ask him to marry us?”

“Marry us? William, we hardly know each other,” she said, her heart beating wildly in her chest in response to his words and the way he was looking at her. ‘Oh, my God, he wants to marry me?’

“So what? I knew I wanted to marry you the moment I saw you.”

“B-but this is so sudden…”

He put a finger over her lips to stop any other objections she might utter. “But nothing, love, look, you don’t need to answer me now, I’ll ask you again in one week. Promise you’ll think about it at least?

“I’ll think about it.” She nodded, even if her confusion was clearly etched in her face.

“Now, give me a kiss that will have to last me one week and then I’ll walk you home, all right?” he asked, not waiting for her response before leaning down and kissing her again.

He wanted a kiss to last him a week? She’ll give him just that then. Wantonly, she stood in her tiptoes as she lifted her arms to entwine them around his neck, bringing her body closer to his. Then she threaded her fingers into his hair and when he nipped her lower lip playfully, she didn’t hesitate to open her mouth slightly to let his tongue inside, tentatively touching it with hers.

He growled at that, his hands tightening on her waist as he pulled her as close as she could possibly be, while devouring the sweet nectar of her mouth, stopping only when the need to breathe took precedence.

“Mmmm, how am I going to survive a week without this, without you?” he asked, looking deeply into her eyes.

“Well, you’ll just have to hurry back, won’t you?” she said playfully.

“I will and as soon as I’m back I’ll come looking for you, all right?”

“Yes and I will be waiting anxiously.”

“You better,” he teased, although his voice and his gaze showed her clearly that he wasn’t joking. “Or I’ll look for you anywhere you might be and steal you away.”

tbc

My muse and I finally reached an agreement about this story, so hopefully I'll post another chapter tomorrow or on Friday.