Author's Chapter Notes:
A thousand thanks to: Amelia-Jane, Debbie, Vette, DaniD, teasha, jt, SarahandJamesFanatic, jenny and spikestheman, for your lovely words. :D And of course, to the wonderful MarzBar, for betaing this chapter for me and for her very good suggestions.

We’re finally moving on with the story, only a week mind you, but I hope you all like it.
Chapter 22

The first thing Buffy did when she finally entered her room that day was run to the mirror to watch her reflection. She was sure that she’d changed somehow in the space of these few hours and sure enough, the mirror reflected a different girl than the one it’d shown just that morning. Her eyes had a dreamlike quality to them that hadn’t been there before; her mouth seemed softer if maybe slightly swollen, she touched her lips with her fingers and shivered remembering the delicious sensations that William’s kisses had elicited in her; her skin seemed to glow with something indefinable and even her hair—which was in more than a little disarray from William’s incessant play with it—seemed to shine brighter.

She moved to her dresser and pulled out one of her dresses, thanking God that her mother had refused to get rid of them even though Buffy had begged her. She changed from her novice habit and sat on her bed, smiling softly to herself as she relived all that had happened that day. She couldn’t believe that she’d left the house in total despair only to come back practically glowing with happiness; even if that happiness was somehow marred with the knowledge that she wouldn’t be seeing William until the next week.

Not even an hour had gone by and she was already missing him; how was she supposed to go for an entire week without him and then for God knew how long when he went on the long trip he’d mentioned?

* ~ * ~ *

William’s cottage

“I’m getting married, Xander!” Spike said, practically dancing with glee.

“Yeah, I know, to the jealous redheaded beauty that was here the other day.” He smiled condescendingly. He hadn’t seen Spike that happy in…well, maybe never, now that he thought about it.

“No, you’re behind on the news, mate. I’m not getting married to Aimée, I’m marrying her sister.”

“Huh? I thought she was a nun?” Xander asked, thoroughly confused by this new development. “And that she hadn’t liked you much when you met her the other night?”

“Yeah, she was a novice, but now she’s not anymore and although she hasn’t said she will marry me, she hasn’t said she won’t either.” He took the veil and coif that lay on the table, pulling them to his nose, inhaling the scent of his Buffy as he did.

“That hers?” Spike nodded. “Whoa, it seems this is more serious than I thought,” Xander said. “And is she like her sister?”

“No, she’s completely different from Aimée and not just physically. Buffy is…an angel, sweet and caring and loving.”

Xander laughed heartily at the transfixed expression on Spike’s face as he thought of Buffy. “Oh, man, you’ve got it bad. I’ve never seen you like this…ever!”

“Laugh all you want, I don’t mind, not now at least. Be careful though, this might change as soon as we’re on the open sea,” Spike teased, chuckling delightedly when Xander paled at the threat. Oh, yeah, he still got it.

* ~ * ~ *

Later that day, in Buffy’s bedroom

Buffy sat on her bed, dressed in a simple white nightgown, brushing her hair as she daydreamed that it was William who was threading his fingers through it, when Aimée entered her room.

“Elizabeth, I’m truly sorry for what happened earlier.”

“It’s all right.” Buffy shrugged, dismissing the matter as unimportant. “Don’t worry about it. In fact, we should forget about the whole thing.”

“I agree, darling. We shouldn’t fight,” Aimée said, fake sweetness dripping in her tone. “Let alone for a man. Oh, by the way, Angel and his mother are coming to ask for my hand next week; do you think maybe you could ask permission at the convent to be here that day? I’d love to have all my family with me on that momentous occasion.”

“Oh, but of course, Aimée. But I won’t have to ask permission, as I decided not to go back to the Convent. After all, now that you’re marrying Angel, there’s no need for it, is there? Especially since the main reason for me to become a nun was precisely that I didn’t want to marry him,” she pointed out, a small smile settling in her lips at her sister’s flabbergasted expression when she realized that her taunting remarks weren’t having the desired effect. ‘God, forgive me, I know I shouldn’t be enjoying this, but how can I not? Should I mention that William asked me to marry him? Maybe not, knowing Aimée, she’d probably do anything to ruin it. It’s better to wait, there’s going to be time for that later.’

* ~ * ~ *

One week later…

Aimée hid a yawn behind her stylish fan. She was bored to tears and had been for the whole week. Nothing had gone as she had wished it. First William had left on a trip to only God knew where and that meant that she had to entertain herself in the grueling hours until he came back.

Then the shocking news that her sister had decided not to be a nun came. Her mother, of course, had been delighted by the turn of events, especially when Angel told them in confidence that he’d decided to provide a very generous dowry to Elizabeth if she decided she wanted to marry, even going as far as offering to find a suitable husband for her. He’d asked them to keep the secret though so Elizabeth wouldn’t feel pressured into anything. That was a secret that she very gladly kept, especially now that for some odd reason her sister seemed to be impervious to any of her comments over how much Angel loved her or that she hardly could wait to be his wife, not even allowing her that little respite from the boredom that surrounded her.

And now she had to play the part of the dutiful daughter and adoring fiancée in front of her mother, Elizabeth, Angel and Aunt Darla. So far the only good thing that had happened during the oh-so-very-long visit from Angel and his mother that day had been the fact that Angel had established that she was going to be the Mistress of Campo Real and that his mother was going to be relegated to a lesser role in the household; which explained the venomous looks her future mother-in-law had been throwing her way. Not that it mattered to her anyway, she was sure that she could convince Angel to move back to Boston or maybe even Europe once they were married.

Oh God, will this visit ever end!’

* ~ * ~ *

Spike descended from his ship and ran all the way to Buffy’s house. He’d dreamt of her, he’d seen her in every wave, in every cloud and now he couldn’t wait to see her again, to have her in his arms, to thread his fingers in her glorious hair, to kiss her sweet lips.

When he got to her house, he saw a carriage with the De Alcazar coat of arms and decided to wait until whoever was visiting left. He could wait, not very patiently, but he could. His first impulse had been to say to hell with everything and look for her without minding the consequences, but he didn’t want to do anything that might hurt Buffy or her reputation, so he waited.

Finally, the front door opened and two people came out. One was Angel and the other was his mother. He had only seen her once before many years ago, but he’d never forget the woman or the hate that had filled her eyes when she’d looked at him. What the hell were they doing in Buffy’s house?

After the carriage left, Spike—deciding not to wait any longer—crossed the street and entered the house through the garden. Stealthily, trying to avoid being seen by anyone, he climbed the stairs that led to Buffy’s room and went through the French doors into the empty room.

* ~ * ~ *

Buffy sighed and closed her eyes as she leaned on her bedroom door. She was glad the visit was finally over. She liked her Aunt Darla and Angel, but it had been tiresome to watch the battle of wills between her Aunt and Aimée. She definitely wasn’t looking forward to spending any time in Campo Real if they were going to keep that up.

Spike watched her from behind the curtains. He could hardly believe that she was there, so close and yet so far away.

God, he’d thought she was beautiful before, even when she’d been covered from head to toe in the unappealing nun’s habit, but now dressed in a fetching pale blue morning dress, she looked simply breathtaking.

Unable to resist the lure of her lips, of being close to her any longer, he moved out of his hiding spot cautiously, trying to be as quiet as he possibly could as he approached her. He prowled toward her, anticipating the thrill of her reaction to him, hoping that the week they’d spent apart had made her feelings for him grow as it had happened for him.

He smiled predatorily when she didn’t seem to register his presence even as he loomed over her, standing as close as he could without touching her, until he couldn’t wait any longer and leaned over her to deposit a soft kiss on her lips.

tbc