Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you to whoever nominated Corazón Salvaje for Best Fantasy Angst and Fantasy Most Original Plot at the Spuffy Awards Round 11! I’m so happy just to be nominated along with so many wonderful authors.


If you feel inclined to vote for this story or for any of the amazing stories you’ll find nominated there, you can go to http://spuffyawards.jaded-paradise.net and click on the vote link. Please read the rules that are at the top of the form. You can choose to vote in all categories, the general categories, or just the fantasy categories.



And many thanks to: SarahandJamesFanatic, Amelia-Jane, spufette, teasha, Vette, Debbie, DaniD, jt and Klai, for the wishes and for reviewing. :D And to MarzBar for the very fast beta. :D



Sorry for the delay, but RL has been very busy.
Chapter 26

“No, it can’t be…it can’t,” María said, stumbling as the back of her knees hit the bed. Spike moved forward quickly, grabbing her before she fell, helping her sit on the bed and then kneeling in front of her while Buffy went to the vanity to get her nanny a glass of water. “What can’t it be, nana?” Buffy asked as she handed her nanny the glass, sitting by her side on the bed. She was very curious over María’s reaction to William. It almost seemed as if she’d seen a ghost and the way she was looking at him now was more than a little unnerving. What was that all about? “You’re not making any sense.”

María sipped slowly on her water, trying to gather her bearings, never taking her eyes away from William’s face. Twelve years, had it really been that long? She recalled that the first time she’d seen him back then, she’d thought there was a slight resemblance between him and don Rodrigo, but after all that happened afterwards she’d blocked it from her mind, until today that is, she couldn’t deny the truth any longer. This man, the man that her beloved Elizabeth wanted to marry, the man that they knew was a pirate and a smuggler, was none other than don Rodrigo de Alcazar’s son. No wonder doña Darla had been so relieved when they found out the boy had disappeared shortly before her husband’s death, or why she had conveniently relocated all the workers that might have been in contact with the boy in other jobs outside of Campo Real.

But she couldn’t tell any of this to Elizabeth yet. She needed to make sure of this man’s intentions first and see for herself if he was worthy of her. She’d heard so many different things about him. Depending on who you asked, he was either a ruthless killer or almost a saint. She knew, just by looking into his eyes, that there was more to him than that, she just needed to make up her own mind about him. Did he know who his real father was? Why had he run away so many years ago and why had he come back? There were so many questions that needed an answer and he was the only one that could provide them.

And then they would have to talk about how they would give the news to Joyce Summers. Granted, she was a self-centered, manipulative woman, but that didn’t mean that she was a fool, there was no way that she wouldn’t notice that her future son-in-law was the spitting image of don Rodrigo De Alcazar. And when she did, she would lose no time telling doña Darla, and then all hell would break loose.

“Are you feeling better, María?” Buffy asked, deep concern tinting her voice, as she took one of her nanny’s hands in hers.

“Yes, Cariño, don’t worry about this vieja. Although maybe you could…”

“Do you need something?”

“Could you be a darling and make me some linden tea?”

“I’ll ask Teresa to bring it…” She stopped talking, when her nanny turned her gaze to William once more. “I imagine it might be best if I bring it.” She smiled at William. “I’ll be back in a little while, please don’t leave before I do?”

“I won’t, I will be waiting for you, I promise.”

María and William were quiet for about a minute after Elizabeth left, but the woman’s gaze was so intent that Spike was beginning to get nervous.

“You know, don’t you?” he asked her, getting up from where he’d been kneeling on the floor and starting to pace.

“That you aren’t really William Giles or that you are don Rodrigo De Alcazar’s son? The answer to both of those questions is yes. Well, no one that ever met him and then saw you could really deny it.” She chuckled humorlessly. “I don’t imagine you remember me, do you?”

“Eh, no, not really,” Spike said, stopping his pacing a bit to look at the woman sitting on the bed. “Should I?”

“Nah, I didn’t really expect you to, it’s been twelve years after all.”

“Twelve years?” Spike tilted his head, curiosity lacing his words. Could he have met this woman at Campo Real? It could be possible and that would explain why he didn’t remember her, since he’d only been there for two days. “We met in Campo Real?”

“Yes, we did, I was Angel’s nanny back then.” Spike nodded. “We don’t have much time, linden tea is very easy to make.”

“What do you want to know?”

“What are your intentions with Elizabeth?”

“I want to marry her.”

“You know she doesn’t have a dowry? So if it’s riches you’re after, I think you’ll be disappointed.”

“Do you think I would accept a dowry for her?” he asked incredulously.

“I don’t know you, how would I know?” she pointed out.

“Well, I wouldn’t accept it. Buffy is enough of a prize on her own; I don’t need properties or money added into the bargain. I love her, not what she can give me. I can promise you that I can provide for her, as my wife she wouldn’t be left wanting for anything,” he said fervently.

María’s smile grew wider as she listened to his impassioned speech, deciding then and there that she would do everything in her power to help him marry Elizabeth. This was the kind of man that she’d prayed her charge would marry; someone that would actually care for her and not for what she could give him.

“Bueno, that sounds very good and all, but you know there’ll be many persons that won’t be too happy to know of your existence. You might be prepared to face whatever life may throw your way, but what about mi niña?”

“Nothing will happen to her as long as I live.”

“All right, but I want you to know something, if you hurt her in any way or make her suffer, whether it’s now or in the future, I’ll make you wish you never set your eyes on her, is that clear?” she said, the icy gleam in her eyes and her tone not leaving any doubt about her meaning.

“Crystal,” Spike said, cowering a bit at her threat, but refusing to back away.

“I take it Elizabeth doesn’t know about any of this?”

“Er, no, there hasn’t been any chance, yet. I’ll tell her as soon as I return from my trip.”

“You’re going away, for how long?”

“Yes, we set sail tonight and then we’ll be on open sea for around three months. Just so you know, this will be my last trip.” He resisted the urge to add ‘Sir’ or rather ‘Ma’am’ after that last sentence. He had the impression that this woman was one of those people it was better to have as an ally, because she’d certainly be a formidable adversary.

“Then, I agree that it’s for the best if she doesn’t know about this until then. Hmm, now what to tell her?”

“You might say that you almost fainted because I’m just too damn handsome and irresistible?” he said smugly, turning his charm to full power.

“Yeah, as if that would ever happen,” the older woman said good-naturedly, rolling her eyes at him. “I think it will be easier to believe if—” she trailed off when she realized that the bedroom door was opening, holding her breath until she saw Elizabeth trying to balance a tray at the same time that she tried to close the door.

She couldn’t do anything but smile fondly when William practically flew to help her and she noticed the loving smile Elizabeth gave him when he took the tray off her hands. They looked so in love and she sighed dreamily thinking of the beautiful children they’d surely have. Oh, how much she would enjoy spoiling them rotten!

“Are you feeling better, nana?” Buffy asked solicitously, handing the tea to her nanny and a glass with lemonade to William, visibly relieved to find the two of them in better terms than when she left.

“Oh yes, I think it was just the surprise of seeing a man in your room,” she said with a pointed glare, smiling condescendingly when Buffy’s face became almost crimson red. “But I think William and I might have reached an agreement now, so you have no need to worry. As soon as he comes back from the trip he’s beginning today, we’ll make all the arrangements so he can ask your mother for your hand in marriage.”

Buffy’s smile waned when she listened that William would leave again so soon, turning to him. “You’re leaving today?”

“I have to, love, and you know that the sooner I leave the sooner I’ll be back,” he said tenderly, putting the empty glass over the vanity, before taking her face in his hands and leaning down to kiss her, until he heard María clearing her throat. “Can’t a bloke get a break around here?” he whined, pouting.

“Sure you can…once you are married,” María replied with a smug smile. “But since I actually like you a little bit more than I thought I would, I’ll allow you five minutes to say good-bye to Elizabeth…un-chaperoned,” she added with a wink, before getting up from the bed and walking to the door. “Don’t make me regret it, all right?”

Spike nodded, swallowing hard at the menacing glare María threw him, before she left the room trying to contain her laughter at his expression. Yeah, she definitely was not a woman he wanted to piss off.

* ~ * ~ *

Tegua’s cottage

“But…but you can’t possibly want me to come here every single day at noon,” Aimée said, her eyes wide in disbelief. “There’s no way that I’ll be able to make a credible excuse to explain why I have to go out every day at noon.” ’And let alone that, the worst part will be having to dress as a measly peasant every day and use the heavy shawl to hide who I am. Oh, God! What a damned mess this is turning into!’

“Well, if you don’t want me to help you with your little problem, I think you’ll have to think of something on your own,” Tegua replied nonchalantly. “Oh, and another thing, querida, for the treatment to be completely effective it’s necessary that you are on your best behavior until the wedding. That means no taunting your sister or being mean to the staff that works at your house.” She put a hand up to stop Aimée from interrupting her. “And don’t even try to deny it, I know perfectly well how you are with everyone and rest assured that I’ll know perfectly well if you don’t follow my instructions.”

“B-but that’s…” Aimée tried to protest. How dare this woman treat her like this? But she knew better than to make Tegua mad at her, at least for the time being. There would be enough time for that when she was the Mistress of Campo Real.

“That’s the way it’s going to be, if you want my help. Now leave, I’ve lost enough time with you already.” Tegua waved her off, turning her back on the girl as she tried to keep the smile away from her face. She was going to have fun bringing this girl down a notch or ten during this next three months.

tbc