Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you, Amelia-Jane and Mariana. I'm happy to know you're enjoying the story. And thank you, Jen, for betaing this chapter for me
Glossary:
Patrón: Lord, master.

Chapter 3

Back to Campo Real

Rodrigo De Alcazar paced nervously in his study. He hadn’t slept well, his dreams had been plagued with images of Anna and the love they’d shared in their youth and of William, the only link he had to her now. He felt blessed that he’d had the opportunity of meeting the boy, and hoped to be a good father for him. He knew it wouldn’t be easy, for William was wary of him. He imagined it was due to all the things that his stepfather had done to him. But he’d change that; he’d show him that he was different than that man. If only he weren’t dead, he’d torture him slowly to make him pay for what he’d done to his darling Anna and William, and then he’d kill him in the most horrible way he could think of.

He felt restless; he had the nagging feeling that something bad was going to happen and not for the first time in the day, he wished Giles was still at Campo Real. He was the only one that could put him at ease, but the lawyer had left very early so he could begin all the paperwork necessary to recognize William legally as his son as soon as possible. And on top of it all, Darla was returning to the hacienda today and bringing Joyce and her daughters along. He sighed; as if he needed any more problems at the moment. He knew exactly how his wife was going to react to William’s presence at his home and the place he was going to occupy in their family. He really wasn’t looking forward to have to explain anything to her.

He had the feeling this wasn’t going to go too well, but maybe…

After a sudden bout of inspiration, he took some paper out of his desk and dipping his quill in the ink, he began writing.

* ~ * ~ *

The first thing Darla saw when she returned to Campo Real, was her precious son covered in mud with his suit torn at several places and a big smile on his face as he ran to hug her. She held him at arm’s length hating the idea that he would ruin her dress while she gave silent thanks that Joyce and the girls wouldn’t arrive until the next day. She would’ve died if they’d seen Angel like that. And it was then that she noticed the other boy, the boy that looked scarily like her husband and when she saw his blue eyes, so similar to others she’d seen in what seemed to be another lifetime, she felt like a bucket of ice water had fallen upon her.

No, it couldn’t be… He’d told her that this wouldn’t happen, that the past would never return to disrupt her life… But the evidence was there, in front of her, smiling wryly, laughing at her.

Someone would have to pay for this.

* ~ * ~ *

After scaring the boys away with the threat of being beaten within an inch of their lives if they didn’t clean up and change immediately, she picked up her long skirts and walked as fast as she could towards her husband’s study.

She didn’t knock; she just threw the door open and found Rodrigo sitting in front of his desk. He looked surprised at her actions until he focused on her and saw the unmasked hatred and hurt in her eyes. She knew.

“How could you?”

“I-,” he tried to begin.

“I have tried to be a good wife for you, I’ve given you the heir you desired so much, but I will not accept this… bastard in my home.”

“He’s not a bastard,” Rodrigo practically growled at her.

“Of course he is a bastard, the bastard of that whore, Anna Shaw; you can not even be sure that he is really yours.” She laughed evilly. “I am sure that she got involved with half of Galveston at the same time she was—”

“Silence!” Rodrigo advanced threateningly towards her, making her step backwards until she was pinned to the door under his icy stare. “You don’t know anything, and anyone that sees William will know he is my son. I will recognize him as mine and you’ll accept him, because I say so!” he roared.

Not one to be easily intimidated, Darla stood her ground, looking with contempt at her husband. “I refuse to accept that bastard in my house,” she repeated.

“For the last time, woman, he’s not a bastard. He’s my firstborn and my heir. I might have been too much of a coward eleven years ago to go against my parent’s wishes upfront, but I am not like that anymore,” Rodrigo said, taking a step back, needing some distance from Darla when he revealed the secret that he had been carrying for so long. “Just so you know, Anna and I married in secret before she disappeared. So you see, my dear wife, if you don’t accept William, everyone will know that you and I aren’t really married, because I was already married when I married you. I know I could go to prison for this and I simply don’t care. For the first time in my life, I’m willing to accept the consequences of my actions.”

“N-no, no, this can not be true. I-we—”

“It is true; I just finished writing my declaration and now I will take it to Rupert Giles for him to make all the proper arrangements. When I come back, I expect that you will be more receptive to the idea of William being my son or else,” he said, moving her away from the door and decisively walking out of the room.

Darla slumped on the floor, her shoulders shaking from the sobs that were wracking her body. She never imagined she could hate anyone as much as she hated Rodrigo De Alcazar at that moment. “I wish you would die, Rodrigo, you and your bastard. I hate you, I hate you, I hate you!” she cried, without realizing that someone was listening to her by the door.

* ~ * ~ *

Thomas Snyder, the first foreman of Campo Real, snuck out of the main house without being seen and hurried towards the stable, and knowing that don Rodrigo would probably be out in a few minutes, he saddled his patrón’s horse, hiding a broken spur under the saddle.

tbc