Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you: DaniD, Amelia-Jane, Kimber, teasha, Debbie, Vette, Klai and jt, for reviewing. Your comments always bring a big smile to my face. :D

In this chapter: Aimée tells Tegua she has to interrupt her treatment; a little Angel/Cordy; introducing Riley into the mix and a bit of Spike/Xander.


This chapter is unbeta’d, since my regular beta is on vacation without a computer until June 26th. Please excuse any glaring mistakes, I promise I tried my best. *sighs* If anyone reading would care to fill in for MarzBar until she returns, could you send me a private message through my profile page or an e-mail to mari.cardenas@gmail.com?
Chapter 30

Tegua’s cottage, that same day

“So, what, you thought that even after I warned you at the beginning, you could just come here and tell me that you have to interrupt the treatment?” Tegua said, enjoying immensely as she saw Aimée squirm under her stare. She smiled wistfully; she had expected that by the end of the three months she would have been bored of teasing the girl, but she hadn’t had this much fun in years and she was actually sorry that the time had finally come to an end, at least for now, because she was well aware that this wouldn’t be the last time that she’d have to deal with Aimée Summers.

Aimée wrung her hands nervously. She’d dreaded to imagine how the curandera was going to react when she knew that she couldn’t continue her treatment; she even had tried to dissuade her mother of going to Campo Real yet because of it, telling her that she needed more time to prepare her ajuar. But, as always, her mother had been too wrapped up in her own little world to care for anything she might say and not even Elizabeth surprisive support to her plea had swayed her decision.

“Oh, well, I guess it can’t be helped.” Tegua heaved an aggravated sigh.

“Really?” Aimée said surprised, her voice filling with hope. “And you’re right, it couldn’t be helped; I tried to stay so I could finish the treatment, but my mother…”

“Please, girl, spare me the details. I’m not interested in listening to your petty excuses.”

“B-but—”

“But nothing. Since you’re not finishing your treatment, I’ll have to use a concentrated dosage of the nance water today. I imagine you’re leaving tomorrow morning?” Aimée nodded, flinching visibly at the idea of what the concentrated water would do to her still not yet fully recovered skin. “You’ll also need to send someone you can trust to pick up a little something that you’ll need to use on your wedding night.”

“A little something?” Aimée repeated, swallowing hard.

“There’s no need for you to worry about what it is. The only thing you need to know is that if you follow the instructions I’ll give you, it will take care of that little problem for you.” Tegua smiled sweetly at her, making Aimée shiver with fear, somehow that smile seemed more threatening that any other the woman had shown her before.

* ~ * ~ *

In the meantime in Campo Real

“Don Angel?” Cordelia called, quickening her pace to catch up with him when he came back from his morning rounds.

“Yes…hmm, Cordelia, isn’t it?”

Her cheeks blushed with the pleasure of realizing that he actually knew her name, almost forgetting why she had been looking for him as she got lost in his chocolate eyes that looked back at her kindly.

Angel smiled at her, flattered by how the girl was reacting to being in his presence. He’d hardly crossed a word or two with her since she’d become his mother’s lady in waiting, but it was very obvious that she was attracted to him. She was a pretty girl, not as pretty as his beloved Aimée of course, but she was definitely easy on the eyes and maybe if he weren’t so in love with his future wife, he might have taken advantage of the situation. “You were looking for me?” he pressed after a little while.

“Er, yes, sorry,” she lowered her eyes, cursing herself for acting like an idiot in front of him. “Doña Darla wanted you to know that you have a visitor from Boston.”

“A visitor, did you by any chance catch his name?”

“No, I didn’t.”

“All right then. Tell my mother I’ll be there in a few minutes, I just have to wash off the dirt and grime from the road.”

“Of course, don Angel.” Cordelia courtsied, before she rushed back to the house. She was so mad at herself, she’d never felt this unexplainable shyness with anyone, but with him she’d been all tongue-tied and he’d probably think she was half-mad for the way she surely had been looking at him. ‘Oh, God, the first time I actually have the chance to talk to him and I behave like a fool! What on Earth is wrong with me?’

* ~ * ~ *

Riley Finn couldn’t stop looking at the beautiful woman sitting in front of him. Hard as he tried, he just couldn’t believe that she was Angel’s mother. She didn’t seem old enough to be anyone’s mother and she was so poised and elegant and filthy rich to boot. If he wasn’t sure that Angel would kill him for sure if he tried, he’d court her. Marrying a woman like Darla De Alcazar would solve all of his monetary problems, which were the main reason he’d come early to the wedding. His creditors would never think to look for him here in Campo Real and hopefully, if he played his cards right, he’d be invited to stay indefinitely.

“Riley!” Angel called as soon as he entered the living room, advancing towards his friend, who got up from his chair and took the hand that Angel had offered him. “We weren’t expecting you until next week; you should have let us know so we could have received you at the station.”

“I’m so sorry if my coming early is of any inconvenience, my friend,” Riley replied bashfully. “I just couldn’t wait to see if Campo Real was as wonderful as you’d described and of course,” he said, turning towards Darla with a winsome smile, “to see your beautiful mother once again.”

“Oh, Riley, you’re such a liar, a charming one, but a liar nonetheless.” Darla laughed, trying not to blush as a young girl in front of her first crush. It had been so long since anyone had told her she was beautiful and even longer since anyone had looked at her like this young man was. Oh, how she wished she was at least twenty years younger. “And of course your visit isn’t inconvenient; don’t you agree with me, Angel dear?”

“Of course, mother. You’re welcome to stay in Campo Real for as long as you’d like, my friend.” Angel grinned at his best friend. Riley smiled widely, vastly relieved by the offer. Things were beginning to look up for him.

* ~ * ~ *

At the Satan

Spike was up on the deck, reclined on the stairs as he gazed up at the stars while thinking of Buffy. He couldn’t wait until they returned to Galveston to see her again.

Precisely at that moment, Xander appeared by his side. Spike sighed heavily, knowing what came next since the brunette man had been teasing him mercilessly ever since they’d begun this trip, especially given that he’d refused to even look at another woman ever since he met Buffy. But how could he when none of them could compare to the angel that was waiting for him in Galveston? He’d be crazy if he put any of what they could have at risk for a woman that didn’t mean anything to him.

“I have to talk to you,” Xander said, the serious expression etched in his face was very different from his usual joking self, so Spike could feel apprehension crept up his spine.

“What about?”

“Hmm, I, well, I just remembered something or rather someone, that we had forgotten about.”

“Huh?”

“The other girl you were seeing, Buffy’s sister? Ringing any bells yet?”

“Oh, shit!” He’d forgotten about Aimée. That could be a problem.

Xander shooked his head, laughing softly at Spike’s expression as understandment finally dawned on him. “Hee, yeah, although I thought I was going to get at least a bloody hell!” he joked. “Anyway, I thought that maybe with all the excitement of finding your Buffy, you might had forgotten about her sister and really, after her reaction when she found Faith in your cottage, I don’t even want to imagine what she might do when she discovers that you are planning on marrying her sister after bedding her.”

Spike paled. He wasn’t worried about Aimée, what they’d had was never a relationship, not really, even if he’d thought of marrying her in what seemed to be a lifetime ago. What worried him was Buffy’s reaction if she ever found out the extent of his involvement with Aimée. Would Buffy be as understanding as she’d been if she knew he’d gone that far with Aimée or would she push him away from her life for good?

tbc