Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you: Klai, Kimber, Amelia-Jane, MidnightGirl and jt, for reviewing. And to MarzBar for her very thorough beta. I’m so sorry it took me so long to write this chapter (again), I know I offered María and Spike’s conversation for this chapter, but it’s been too long since the last chapter and I thought to offer you this little interlude. Hope you don’t mind too much?
Chapter 39

Elizabeth was the one that was supposed to marry Angel, they even were betrothed…’

Spike kept replaying Aimée’s statement over and over in his mind as Buffy and he walked side by side down a long corridor that led towards the east wing of Campo Real’s main house. At first, he’d been too distracted trying to convince Buffy that she was the real reason he’d come to Campo Real and afterwards by her sweet submission to his kisses and the welcoming party in the living room to think about that, but after listening to Angel calling her ‘dear’, it had returned to him in full force, right along with his jealous streak.

But no, that couldn’t be true. It had to be another lie to add to the many Aimée had already told him, after all she’d been trying to convince him of continuing their affair when she told him, so he figured it had to be a ruse to take the attention off the fact that she had married while he’d been away. And furthermore, neither Buffy nor María had ever mentioned anything about a betrothal to his brother; she’d been a novice when he’d met her and there was no way that she had been planning to be a nun if she’d been engaged to Angel, was there? Especially if things happened the way Aimée had told him. He wouldn’t even offend Buffy by asking her if it was true, they’d just reunited after three long months of not seeing each other and he refused to ruin everything because of something that must be a lie concocted by her sister.

‘But Angel called her ‘dear’,’ his treacherous mind supplied. He almost growled again at that, clenching his fists and tightening his jaw as he tried to control his rage against his brother. Why the hell did he call her that? Was it commonplace in their social circle for men to call women that were not their wives like that? If it was he simply didn’t care, he’d just have to make sure to let any other men know that no one but him could call his Buffy by any term of endearment. Those were reserved for him and him alone.

Feeling somewhat better by this resolution, now he just had to go through the dreaded conversation with María and charm her as she’d never been charmed. The woman could be downright terrifying, but he could deal with her. He’d fought against some of the most feared pirates in the Atlantic Ocean and survived, now hadn’t he? María couldn’t be worse than them, could she? An image of María’s cold eyes as she smiled at him came unbidden to his mind and he couldn’t repress the shudder that went through him. On second thought, maybe he could delay his conversation with Buffy’s nana until after they were married? He had the feeling that if María said she shouldn’t marry him, Buffy might actually listen to her. Dammit! He knew he should have taken her away with him to the Satan and set sail until they found a place where no one could ever find them.

He glanced at her and sighed, he was still more than half-tempted to do so right now, but he knew he shouldn’t, she deserved to have the wedding of her dreams. She deserved everything and he would do his best to give it to her, even if it killed him.

Meanwhile, Buffy’s thoughts revolved mostly around María and her insistence on talking to William alone. What did she want to talk to him about? What if she had found out about Aimée and whatever kind of relationship she’d had with William?

And if she was right, she just hoped that William would be able to convince her nana of the truth of his feelings for her, otherwise marrying him might prove to be even more difficult than it would be.

At least now, she felt more certain that William truly loved her and it hadn’t all been just a dream. There were no more doubts in her mind that he was in love with her, she could feel it with all of her, in every look, every smile, in every wonderful kiss they’d shared, and especially the way he’d treated her sister while they were in the living room. If nothing else, the disdainful looks and contemptuous tone he had used with Aimée when they were in the living room had accomplished that. Buffy smiled to herself, oh, yes, she’d certainly enjoyed watching her sister’s discomfort at William’s obvious focus on her and not because she wanted to get back at Aimée for what she’d done, no, not all. She’d enjoyed it because it had been the proof she’d needed to realize that whatever existed between her sister and her fiancée was done and over with, at least on William’s part. Buffy was quite sure that Aimée wouldn’t give up the idea of rekindling her affair with him regardless of the fact that she was married to Angel, but she’d also probably try to create troubles between her and William. Not that she would let her sister win this time, she might have taken Angel from her—who truth be told had never really been hers—but William was another matter entirely, he was hers and she wouldn’t give him up, not for her sister, not for anyone or anything.

Buffy glanced towards William and sighed. God, she had missed him so much, she almost couldn’t believe that he was right there by her side, that he wanted to marry her, but he was too far away. She knew that they had to keep the appearances for the sake of her reputation, but it had already been too long since she’d felt his kisses, since she’d felt his strong arms around her. She looked at her surroundings and noticed that they were already in the east wing, so putting her left hand over William’s arm to stop him; she opened the door to her right and pulled him inside.

*~*~*~*

As María walked towards the stables to ask Miguel to go to William’s ship for his things, her mind spun with the implications of what she’d just heard. Doña Darla wanted to recognize William as a De Alcazar with all that that entailed and had even made it so that doña Joyce thought that it had been her idea to marry off Elizabeth to William. She had to give it to her; the woman certainly knew how to manipulate and twist things and people to her convenience. She was well aware that this could make everything so much easier for all of them, after all it was the opportunity they’ve been praying for, William would have his rightful last name and they would be…well, not exactly forced, but encouraged to marry by both doña Joyce and doña Darla. She remembered doña Darla’s suggestion of talking to William first to test the waters, so to speak, to convince him of the convenience of marrying Elizabeth and luring her into a supposed marriage for love. Ha, if only they knew! She was sure the both of them would be ecstatic at the chance given, not that she truly could blame them.

But the Aimée issue hadn’t been resolved, who knew how her niña would react when faced with the fact that her sister—the same one that had stolen her so-called fiancé—had also been involved with William? Or even worse, who knew what Aimée might do or say to impede this wedding? She sighed heavily, what to do, what to do? She had to talk with William, she knew that she couldn’t stop them from marrying, especially not if doña Darla and doña Joyce were all for it, but she could make sure that it was made in a way that wouldn’t result in her niña being hurt.

*~*~*~*

As soon as the door closed behind him, Spike found himself with his back pressed to the door and his golden goddess pressed to his chest. Not that he was complaining, mind you, especially not when he found himself drowning in the emerald green of her eyes that seemed to twinkle with mischief as she coyly slid her hands up his chest until she twined them on the back of his neck, standing in her tiptoes as she pressed her body even closer to his and her lips began caressing his jaw line in their quest for his mouth.

He let her take the initiative, curious as to what might have caused this change in her usually very shy behavior towards him, but unwilling to try to stop her ministrations long enough to ask her, especially after she finally captured his lips with hers and the world disappeared all over again. There was nothing better than this, nothing better than to feel her melting in his arms, nothing better than to feel her mouth opening under his as she moaned his name, as they fell deeper and deeper into the spell of their kisses.

He put his hands around her waist, tightening his grip as he pulled her even closer to him, until her feet no longer touched the floor, until he felt how her heart beat wildly in her chest as if it were his. Heaven, this had to be what heaven felt like. He groaned as he tilted his head to take fuller possession of her mouth. She was as soft and pliant as she’d always been, but this time instead of just allowing him to do with her as he wished, she was kissing him back as if her life depended upon it, her hands caressing his back and threading through his hair as she did so and hell if she wasn’t making it difficult for him to remember that he had to wait until they were married to have her or María would probably have his balls for breakfast. Not that he cared about that after Buffy pulled her mouth away from his and nibbled and nipped along his jaw towards his ear, where she breathlessly murmured how much she loved him, how she hardly could wait to be his wife.

Inflamed by her words and unable to contain himself or his desire for her any longer, he turned them until she was the one with her back pushed against the door, still with her feet off the floor, he put one of his legs inside hers pressing until he could feel his knee making contact with the door even through the dozen or so of petticoats she must be wearing under her dress, so he could hold her weight with it and leave his hands free to roam over her body at will, as he ground himself on her thigh, reveling in the breathy little moans and mewls that she made as he kissed and touched her more passionately than ever before.

His hands ghosted over her breasts as he moved them to thread into her hair and he felt the shiver that ran through her all the way to his cock and strangely enough that was what made him stop. Things were quickly escalating out of control and it was up to him to do the right thing.

He pulled apart from Buffy, lowering her to the floor, gazing into her upturned face as they both panted. She opened her eyes slowly and he couldn’t help but feel proud at the dazed look in them, the slightly swollen lips or the disarray of her hair. He’d done that, she looked like she’d been very thoroughly kissed and to him she had never looked more beautiful to him than at that moment.

But as things were if María entered the room right now, she’d notice what they’d been up to and she wouldn’t be happy at all and he needed to get in her good graces and not alienate her, and even if he hadn’t cared about that five minutes, hell, even five seconds ago, he did now. He had to protect Buffy from him, at least until they were married, then all bets were off.

“Not that I’m complaining or anything, but may I ask what brought this on? Just so I can do it again, I mean.” He smirked when Buffy blushed and lowered her head shyly.

“I-I…it’s just that, well, I just wanted to let you know that I believe you.” When he looked at her questioningly, she elaborated, “About Aimée?”

“Oh, and what does Aimée have to do with this?” He pointed from him to her.

She shrugged, blushing even more to his delight. “Well, let’s just say that now I don’t have any more doubts that you love me and not her.”

He smiled, replying, “That all?” It definitely wouldn’t be difficult to keep that up, not at all.

She nodded. “That and I just felt that you had been too far away for too long already and I couldn’t stand it anymore.”

“Well then by all means, please feel free to kiss me like that anytime you’re up for it. I promise I won’t mind.” He winked at her. “Now how about you show me the rest of my new room?”

“This one? You haven’t even seen the others?”

“Oh, baby, this one already has very sweet memories of the two of us. No way I’m giving this room up.” He leered at her, chuckling when she got even more flustered than she already was, if that was even possible. ‘God! Could she be any more adorable?’ he thought as he followed her to inspect the space.

tbc

I know I'm more than a little rusty with this, but I really hope you enjoyed it.