Author's Chapter Notes:
Many thanks to Amelia-Jane, SarahandJamesFanatic and DrkDevin for reviewing.


And a big thank you to Jen for betaing this chapter for me.
Glossary:
Buenos días: Good morning
Señor: Mister, Sir

Chapter 4

Rodrigo tried to rein in his temper as he walked to Angel’s room. He didn’t want to scare Angel or William just because Darla had managed to make him so angry that he’d almost lost control.

When he got to the room, he was surprised to only find William inside. “Good morning, William. Where is Angel?”

“Oh, good morning, don Rodrigo. He was taken by one of the cleaning ladies to take a bath. It seems doña Darla wasn’t too happy about finding us playing in the mud,” he said with a sad smile. “I don’t think she liked me that much, either.”

“Don’t worry about that, son,” he lowered his voice, smiling conspiratorially at William, before winking. “I don’t think she likes me that much either. And I think it is better that Angel isn’t here at the moment. I wanted to talk to you before I leave.”

“Leave? Where are you going?”

“I am going to Galveston, William. Mr. Giles left very early this morning to begin the paperwork to recognize you as my son, but I decided I am not willing to wait any longer. So, I will be visiting the Mayor this afternoon and hopefully by tomorrow when I return to Campo Real, you will legally be William de Alcazar, my son.”

“Is that true? You want me to be a De Alcazar?” A very wide-eyed William asked. Could this be happening to him? After all he’d been through, could it be that he’d finally have a family? That he’d actually belong to someone else?

“Yes, it is. I don’t want you to mention this to anyone yet, though, especially to Angel. We will do that together after I return, although I have the feeling that Angel already loves you almost as much as I do, and he will be very happy to know you are his brother.”

“You l-love me?”

“Of course I love you, William. You’re my firstborn son, and even if I didn’t have the blessing of watching you grow into the fine young man you’ve become, I’ll be there for you from today until the day I die and beyond.”

“No one aside from my mother has ever told me they loved me,” William said, tears brimming in his blue eyes.

“Well, I will make you a deal, then, I will tell you at least once a day from today on, until you believe it is true.”

“I know it is true, don Rodrigo.” William approached his father slowly. “I can see it in your eyes. You look at me the same way you look at Angel.”

“So, do you think you can call me father and not don Rodrigo now?”

The young boy nodded and without being able to contain himself any longer, he threw himself into his father’s arms, hugging him with all the strength he could muster. “Father?”

A warm feeling settled in Rodrigo’s heart when he heard the word coming out of William’s lips as he hugged his son back. “Yes, son?”

“I love you, too.”

* ~ * ~ *

As he walked toward the stable, Rodrigo felt lighter, as if a big weight had lifted from his shoulders after his talk with William. He was even more decided than he’d been before to make things right for him. Soon, William would take his place as the heir of De Alcazar family. And he would be loved; Angel and him would erase all those years of mistreat at the hands of his stepfather. He smiled fondly as he thought of his younger son, and gave thanks once more that Angel was nothing like his mother and if he had any say, he would never be.

“Buenos días, patrón,” a man said as he saw don Rodrigo enter the stable, startling him out of his reverie.

“Good morning, Pablo, is my horse ready?”

“Yes, patrón. Señor Snyder saddled it earlier for you,” Pablo responded, handing him the bridle.

“Snyder, really? That is strange,” Rodrigo said. The foreman always complained airily, whenever he’d asked him to do it before, that it was below his station as foreman, so it was very weird that he’d done it without being asked. Shaking it off, he climbed on his favorite horse. “And where is he now?”

“He said he had to check the fences on the northern pastures, don Rodrigo. Do you want me to fetch him for you?”

“No, don’t worry, Pablo. I don’t have time for that now, but tell him I will need to talk to him when I return from Galveston tomorrow.”

“Certainly, patrón. Have a good journey.”

“Thank you, Pablo,” Rodrigo said as he led his horse out of the stable.

* ~ * ~ *

Meanwhile Snyder was hiding on the side of the road that led to Galveston, bidding the time to put his plan in motion.

* ~ * ~ *

The rest of Rodrigo’s preoccupations disappeared as his stallion broke into a fast gallop. Riding had always relaxed him, especially when he was riding ‘Palomino’. He felt like the magnificent brown and white quarter horse actually knew what he wanted him to do, before he did it.

But today the horse seemed to be a little on edge; every time he’d rested his weight back on the saddle, Palomino would jump as if something was hurting him. But it already was late enough and he really didn’t want to delay his trip to Galveston any longer, so he decided to continue while trying to put most of his weight on the stirrups and as soon as he got to Galveston, he would check into it.

Suddenly and seemingly out of nowhere a rabbit crossed in front of Palomino, scaring him. Trying to stay on the saddle as the horse stood in its two back legs; Rodrigo pulled on the bridle and put all his weight on the back of the saddle, putting pressure on the animal’s kidneys, which only made the stallion renew his efforts on throwing him off of the saddle.

Finally, mad with the pain of the broken spur that had broken into its skin and after what seemed to be an eternity, Palomino gave a final jump and managed to dislodge Rodrigo from the saddle. Finally free of the extra weight that was hurting him so much, Palomino ran back to Campo Real, leaving its master lying on the road.

tbc