Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you, Amelia-Jane, SarahandJamesFanatic, Kimber and Devin for your reviews. Hope you enjoy this portion of the story as well. ;)
Chapter 8

Galveston, Texas 1882

“Elizabeth, Elizabeth!” Joyce entered the girl’s room as she waved a letter in her hands excitedly.

“Mother? What happened?” Elizabeth asked, very curious over watching her mother so excited.

It had been a long time, if ever; that she’d seen her mother like that, especially after her father had died leaving them practically penniless. If it hadn’t been for the generosity of her godmother, Darla De Alcazar, and of one of her mother’s sisters, who knew what would have happened to them.

“Well, I just received a letter from your Aunt Darla.”

“You did? And what does she say?”

“That Angel is back from Europe and will be back in Campo Real in about two weeks!” Joyce said. “And of course you know what this means, don’t you?”

“Yes.” Elizabeth blushed becomingly. “I know that you and Aunt Darla want us to marry, b-but what if he does not want to marry me, mother? He has never written to me in all these years, for all we know he does not even remember me—“

“Nonsense, darling, most men do not like to write letters and really, you should not worry about him not wanting to marry you. You are such a beautiful and caring young woman, I’m sure he would fall in love with you at first sight.”

“Oh, mother, I would be so happy if he does. I have been dreaming with marrying him ever since you and Aunt Darla showed me his last picture. He is so handsome,” Elizabeth replied, a dreamy smile in her face.

“Yes, he is, darling. Now I shall go into town and send your sister a telegraph to give her the good news. Now that you will be marrying Angel, there will be no reason for her to continue living with your Aunt Francesca in Boston. I will finally have my two daughters with me after all this time.”

Elizabeth nodded as her mother left the room.

Angel De Alcazar was coming back from Europe! She hadn’t seen him in twelve years, except in the pictures Aunt Darla had brought with her when she had visited them in Galveston, and now he was finally returning and hopefully soon they would be married. She had been dreaming of his return for what seemed like forever, ever since her mother and Aunt Darla began to talk to her about their marriage, and how perfect they would be for each other.

And to make her happiness complete, her sister was finally coming back from Boston. She had missed Aimée so much in these past five years since her Aunt Francesca took her with her after their father’s burial. She understood that it had to be done, though, money was tight in the Summers’ household and her mother had only done what she thought would be best for her at the time. Hopefully now that they’d be together again they will regain the wonderful friendship they’d shared as children.

*~*~*

Boston, Massachussetts, the day after

“Oh, Aimée, I think you are by far the most beautiful girl in the city,” Willow, her cousin, said more than a little envious of Aimée’s success at attracting some of the most eligible bachelors in town. “And I am sure that many of our guests today will agree.”

Aimée laughed, as her green eyes twinkled mischievously. “Yes, that’s what every one of my admirers tells me every time they see me.”

“It is a pity that you do not have a dowry, darling. Otherwise you would have your pick out of the handsomest and richest men in Boston,” Amy Collins, one of their friends, said. Aimée’s face fell for a second, knowing that sadly that was true. Even if many of her admirers would be willing to accept her without a dowry, their families would certainly threaten to disinherit them if they did.

“Oh, did you hear, Aimée? Angel De Alcazar is back from Europe and will probably come today to the soiree. He is your cousin, isn’t he?” another girl interjected as she joined the conversation.

“No, I had not heard, and he is not really my cousin. His mother and my father were step-brothers so there’s not really a blood relation between us.”

She tuned out of the conversation as it strayed onto other subjects. So her sister’s intended was back from Europe? It wouldn’t be long now until her mother sent for her. Better to enjoy living the grand life here in Boston until that day, from what she remembered Galveston was such a dull little town. And she really was not looking forward to live under the shadow of the perfect Elizabeth, who would marry one of the richest men in Texas even if she had no dowry, only because she was doña Darla De Alcazar’s favorite niece and goddaughter.

She was pulled out of her reverie when she heard, “Aimée Summers? Is that you?”

Aimée looked at the handsome man in front of her. She thought he looked familiar, his dark brown hair and eyes tugged on some lost memory, but she simply couldn’t remember where she’d seen him before.

“Yes, I am Aimée Summers and you are?” she answered.

“Well, I know it’s been years since we’ve seen each other, but I would have recognized you anywhere, I’m deeply hurt that you don’t remember me,” he teased her, putting a hand over his heart, before extending it to gather her hand in his and bringing it to his lips.

“Angel! There you are, I have been looking all over for you,” a dark blond man said as he reached them. Angel turned to his friend and shook his hand.

‘Angel? Angel De Alcazar? I can not believe that I got to meet him again before he saw my sister. Should I try to lure him away from her?’ she thought smugly. Even if she hadn’t seen her sister in a while, she was sure that her beauty would never rival hers. Plus Angel wasn’t bad looking and she knew he was rich and most of all, that’d be the best vengeance she could think of. Her perfect sister would just die if Angel actually preferred Aimée over her.

*~*~*

Galveston docks

William the Bloody disembarked from his ship ‘The Satan’. It had been twelve years since he’d been in Galveston. Twelve years! Who would have thought that in that time he could have become one of the most feared pirates and smugglers in the Caribbean? Not him, that’s for sure. He still couldn’t believe his good luck after Snyder had took him to the very ship he now owned.

The late Captain Roberts had been like a father for him right from the start. He’d taught him all he knew about the seas, about being a pirate. And now that he was almost rich enough, he’d come back to get his revenge from the man that had took him away from the only two people that had actually given a damn about him after his mother’s death: His father and Angel. Snyder would pay for what he did to him; he wouldn’t rest until he did.

tbc