Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you again for all the reviews! They are much appretciated!
Chapter Three

Walking down the hall in a daze later that day, Buffy was jolted for her musings - about Spike of course - by slamming into something hard.

Looking up, her eyes widened when she realized it was Angel. The boy she was supposed to have a crush on, and might have even claimed to be madly in love with once under some kind of hormone-induced craze, but had not thought of all day long. Except for that brief moment when Willow brought him up at lunch to ask if she'd seen him.

"Hey, Buffy, how are ya?" Angel asked smoothly, grinning at her. Man, but he was hot. He fit into the mold of tall, dark and handsome perfectly. His dark hair spiked up - huh, Spike wonder what he's - and focus Buffy on the male goodness in front of you! His dark hair, his muscular body and chocolate brown eyes that were currently warmly gazing into hers.

She smiled up at him, almost dreamily. "Hi, Angel. I'm good, how are you?"

He shrugged, "I'm all right. First day back and all that. How was your summer?"

She frowned slightly, "Kind of boring, what about yours?"

"Same," he grinned. "But I'm sure we can make up for it somehow, don't you think?"

Her heart started to race. Oh God, he said we! He used the collective we, meaning her and him and oh god, was he going to ask her out? Then we would become us before long-

"Going to the Bronze tonight at all?" he asked, shifting his backpack on his back and tilting his head to the side.

She swallowed hard, thinking 'I wasn't, but I am now. ' "Yeah, I'm going. You going?"

"Of course. I'll see you there?"

"Yeah, sure, great," she said, nodding and smiling like an idiot. Stop nodding and smiling Buffy, you look like a bobble head!

"Cool, save me a dance," and with that he ran off, probably to practice or whatever.

She grinned to herself and hugged her books to her chest. She had to save him a dance. A dance, he requested a dance! Liam "Angel" O' Connor didn't just ask anyone to dance. Nope, not at all. He was a jock, yes, but he was also somewhat of a loner at the same time. Which wasn't saying 'loner jock' kind of an oxymoron? And considering that Buffy was not a cheerleader - like she could get past Miss High and Mighty Cordelia Chase on that - this was big. Jocks dated cheerleaders. Not Angel though, nope, he was going to date her.

And that's all there was to it.

Just as long no one was there to mess it up.

*******

Coming up Buffy's driveway, Spike grinned to himself as memories of himself as a youngster came rushing back. He saw himself in his mind's eye running at breakneck speeds down the sidewalk and tearing up her front lawn where he'd stand in the middle of her front yard and shout her name until she appeared. He'd come over so much when he was asked what his address was in kindergarten he always automatically replied "1630 Revello Drive".

Until the day her mother, put a sign in the middle of the yard that said, "Please come to the door and knock, William".

He wanted to shout for old time's sake, but he wouldn't. Besides, he didn't want to scare Buffy off, although, she'd probably laugh instead.

Jogging up the steps to her two story brown home, Spike knocked on the door, noticing with interest the little jumps his heart was taking. Could it be possible that he was nervous?

The door swung open and there was Miss Summers, standing there, shocked. "William?"

"Hi, Miss Summers," he said, grinning at her.

"Oh my goodness, you've grown! Look at how, well, tall you are, and blond."

He patted his head, "Yeah, that's fake."

She laughed, "I figured as much. Has Buffy seen you yet? Come in, come in."

"She saw me today at school, yeah,” Spike answered sauntering inside.

“When did you get back? Why?”

“I got back over the summer. Living with my Dad.”

“Is your mother all right?”

Spike looked down, “She died.”

“Oh William, I’m so sorry,” Miss Summers, or Joyce, said sympathetically, reaching out and patting Spike’s arm. “You poor dear, if you need anything, you just let me know, okay?”

“Thanks, Miss Summers. You were always like a second Mum to me, you know.”

Joyce smiled at him, blushing slightly at his kind words. “Thank you dear. And you were like the son I never had.”

“Mom, have you seen my black—hey,” Buffy stopped halfway down the stairs from the second floor. “Hey Spike.”

Joyce raised a brow, “Spike?”

“It’s his nickname now,” Buffy explained.

Joyce shook her head, “Well, I’m still going to call you William, William. You mind?”

Spike smiled and shook his head, “Not at all.”

“Good. Well, I’ll leave you two alone. Remember what I said, William.”

“I will. Thank you Miss Summers.”

Joyce smiled and headed towards the kitchen.

Buffy bounced the rest of the way down the stairs, “What’s up?”

Spike shifted slightly, feeling that nervous feeling welling up inside him once again. “I, uh, wanted to come over and talk to you.”

“About?”

“Well, remember how we used to be friends and all?”

She smiled and chuckled lightly, “I seem to have a recollection of that, yeah.”

“Well, I was wondering, more like hoping that maybe we could be friends again, yeah?”

She pouted slightly, sappily, “Spike, of course we can be friends. Friends don’t even have to ask that sort of question. It was a given, really, don’t you think?”

He smiled broadly, “It was at that. So, uh, what are you up to later? Thought maybe we could get an ice cream or something. Maybe go swinging at the park like old times?”

She eyed him, a smirk tugging the corners of her mouth. “Spike, look at you with the leather and all black – you go swinging on the swings?”

He chuckled, “Well, I’d do it for you, Summers. Had some bloody good talks on those swings, we did.”

“Yeah, over things like whether or not She-Ra or He-Man was the strongest.”

Spike laughed, “Well, I seem to remember you wanting to re-enact that game and I ended up getting a mouthful of mud and a new set of glasses after you broke them on me.”

She let out a sigh in disagreement and her mouth widened in surprise and disagreement. “I did not break your glasses. Not my fault if you’re a klutz and fell on your ass—“

“Buffy, language!” Joyce called from the kitchen.

Spike and Buffy looked at each other and laughed.

Buffy pulled him outside for privacy. “Some things never change huh?” she mused, smiling playfully.

He grinned, “No, guess they don’t. So, do you want to come out with me?”

She looked at him regretfully, “I can’t.”

“Why not?” he asked, pouting.

She smiled, “Are you pouting?”

“Maybe, will it help me get my way?”

She laughed, “No. I kind of have plans already – hey! You could come with us!”

“Us?”

“Me, Willow, Xander – my friends. Then you can meet them and become their friend too, so we can all be friends together. You, me, Willow and Xander.” Her eyes widened. “That sounds coupley, doesn’t it? I don’t mean for it to sound like that because really those two are just—“

He shushed her by placing a finger on her mouth. He smiled at her, a tad adoringly. “I forgot how you could ramble on, Summers. It’s adorable, you know?”

She smiled and blushed, “Thanks. So, do you want to come out with us? We’re going to the Bronze.”

“The Bronze, eh? I’ve heard about this ‘Bronze’. Quite the hangout, I hear.”

She nodded adamantly, “It is. If you wanted to take your friends so you don’t feel shackled to me all night, you could or –“

“You’re rambling again.”

“Sorry,” she said sheepishly.

“Don’t be sorry. I just told you it was cute, didn’t I?”

She nodded and swallowed, “Yep, you sure did. So, you’ll come out with us?”

“Sure, I’ll come out with you. What time?”

“Meet me here at seven?”

“I’ll be here, luv.”

She smiled broadly and lunged into his arms, hugging him. “Excellent!”

He wasn’t ready for an armful of Buffy, but he liked it, in fact, he liked it a lot. She was all soft and curvy, her hair felt soft as it brushed his fingers, and she seemed to be scenting herself with vanilla . . .

“I need to do my homework and get ready. See you in a while, okay?” she said, perky, as she disengaged from him.

He nodded, feeling suddenly very dumbfounded. All his mind was registering was ‘armful of Buffy’.

“Great, see you soon!” and she bounded in the house.

Spike stood there, staring at the door. “See you soon,” he murmured before finally turning around and walking home, feeling rather dazed.