Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks for the reviews and thanks to my beta! reviews are welcome!
Chapter 10: Talk

“Bowling?” Spike said incredulously as he stared at the neon lights.

“Yeah,” Buffy replied, drawing out the word. “What? Can’t handle it Spikey?”

“I don’t do bowling, Summers,” Spike informed her. “No bloody way.”

Buffy had already hopped out of the car, ignoring Spike’s protests. The parking lot was almost empty and the shops on either side were closed.

“Come on,” She said, facing him with a grin. “It’ll be fun.”

Spike wished he could have said he resisted her smile and damn twinkling eyes, but he was powerless. He was her slave and she bloody well knew it.

“Fine,” he grumbled, catching up to her. “But only for an hour.”

An hour and half later, Buffy was, once again, kicking Spike’s ass.

Spike groaned as her ball knocked all the pins down.
“Haha! Strike!” She squealed, jumping up and down gleefully. Her hair was now pulled into pigtails and with her sweatshirt, jeans and those bowling shoes, she reminded Spike of a five-year-old.

“Your turn Spike,” Buffy announced, sitting in a plastic chair to watch Spike bowl.

He grumbled and watched as his ball rolled down the alley, hitting maybe half of the pins.

“Bloody hell!” he swore. “How the hell are you beating me?” he asked, glaring at Buffy.

She gave him a bittersweet smile. “Self-defense mechanism,” She replied simply while grabbing her bowling ball.

Spike cocked an eyebrow, “Come again?”

Buffy sighed. “My dad loved to bowl. Every Thursday night we went to this one bowling alley and played while eating greasy but delicious food. When my parents really started fighting, I put everything into those Thursday nights. A part of me hoped that if my dad had something to stay for…” Buffy paused, looking down at the floor. “Maybe he would…stay, I mean.” She hesitantly looked back up at Spike to see him staring at her fixedly, his eyes a blue-gray and absolutely hypnotizing.

Buffy let out a little laugh that sounded bitter even to her ears. “I guess it didn’t really work.”

Suddenly Spike was right in front of her, touching her hand ever-so-slightly, his fingertips grazing her knuckles. Her hand tingled where he’d touched her.

“You tried, luv. That’s what matters,” he told her sincerely.

Buffy swallowed uneasily, pulling away as discretely as she could, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.
“Thanks.”

Spike nodded and then returned his attention to the game.

“So are you planning on bowling anytime soon or forfeiting?” He teased, earning a good glare. Buffy gratefully accepted the change of subject and smirked.

“Watch and weep, Spikey,” she retorted and let the ball sail down the alley.

**********************

“Wait, you and Spike, alone, went bowling?”

Faith and Buffy were walking to their usual pub for lunch and Buffy was retelling her evening with Spike. When she had approached Faith earlier in the day, Buffy had apologized for her harsh behavior the day before. Faith accepted her apology, telling her it was no big deal. Buffy was extremely grateful her friend wasn’t mad at her, it made something right at least.

Faith gave Buffy a doubtful look. “Bowling? With Spike? As in knock a bunch of pins down bowling?”

“Yes, we did. Is that so hard to believe?” Buffy questioned her friend.

Faith snorted. “You and Spike? Yeah, that’s edging on the unbelievable side.”

Buffy rolled her eyes while opening the doors of the pub, and the pair made their way over to the window seats.

“I don’t know. It was kind of weird to hang out with him, just us. We’ve never done that before.” Buffy lowered her voice, “He’s not that bad, if you ignore the Billy Idol wannabe wardrobe and the fact he’s a pain in the ass.”

Faith shook her head in mock astonishment. “Will wonders never cease? I think Buffy Summers just paid a compliment to Spike Giles!”

Buffy ignored her and eyed her menu instead. After a few moments, Buffy realized how silent Faith was and glanced up with a questioning look.

“What’s up? You’re all quiet.”

Faith bit her lip, looking serious. “Do you…like him Buffy?”

Buffy’s jaw dropped and then she giggled. “Are you serious?”

At Faith’s expression Buffy sobered.

“What made you think that?” She asked, fidgeting with her napkin under the table. When Faith continued to look at her reproachfully, Buffy continued. “We’re just friends, Faith, you know that. Hell, everyone knows that.”

When Faith’s expression stayed the same Buffy glanced upward and let out a disbelieving laugh.
“God, do you remember us in high school? We never got along,” Buffy said defensively.

“This isn’t high school anymore B.” Faith’s response was quiet but firm.

Buffy’s gaze stayed trained on the table. “Let’s talk about something else, okay?”

Faith nodded and for the rest of their lunch hour, they avoided any mention of Spike.

*****************

That afternoon, Spike was sitting in the Magic Box waiting for Xander and reading a book. He flipped through the pages lazily, feet propped up on the table. Mostly he was thinking about the previous night with Buffy.

After they finished bowling, or more accurately, after the place had kicked them out for yelling, Buffy had drove him back to his hotel, stopping on the way for ice cream.

He had been so amazed they’d actually spent a whole evening enjoying each other’s company, playfully arguing and having fun. Buffy had parked the car and they finished their ice creams silently.

Spike had glanced at her, watching as she chewed on her cone, her face clearly expressing her delight. Their eyes met and Spike could’ve sworn they would have kissed if it weren’t for the fact his ice cream fell out of the cone and plopped in his lap. A real mood-killer, Spike winced, remembering.

The door to the shop opened, the bell ringing, and Spike glanced up to see Riley walk in, a determined look on his face. Spike noted that said look was directed at him and inwardly grimaced.

“Spike.” Riley greeted him curtly and sat down across from him, his posture rigid. “I need to talk to you.” He paused and Spike cocked an eyebrow at him. “About Buffy.”

Spike sighed, “Right then. Let’s have it out.”

Riley cleared his throat and met Spike’s eyes squarely. “Stay away from her. I don’t know what happened between you two, but obviously something has- and don’t deny it,” Riley said as Spike opened his mouth to protest.

Riley shook his head, “Buffy may not want to tell me, but I’m not expecting you to bullshit around it. What you’re doing now though, hanging around her, trying to win her back or something, has to stop. She doesn’t want you.”

“Sure about that mate?” Spike drawled.

Riley’s eyes narrowed. “I’m positive. Buffy’s with me isn’t she? And all I hear from her about you is how annoying and pathetic you are.”

Spike tried not to let that comment hurt him. “As soon as Buffy says she doesn’t want me near her, I’ll go, but if the lady doesn’t have a problem...” Spike trailed off suggestively.

Angry red blotches appeared on Riley’s face as he clenched his jaw, furious. “Stay away from her, I mean it!” He snarled and stormed out of the shop, nearly bumping into Dawn, who jumped out of his way.

She watched with a raised brow as Riley started
his car and with a squeal of the tires took off.

“Well, that was interesting,” She said slowly as she put her backpack behind the counter.

Spike shrugged, trying to hide his grin but failing miserably.

Dawn noticed his smirk and bounced over to him. “Okay, spill.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be working?” He asked, dodging her demand.

Dawn gave a dismissive wave, “Not for another five minutes. Now, tell me what happened! Did Riley confront you about Buffy?”

Spike gave a small nod and Dawn laughed. “Omigod, I knew it. God, he gets so possessive over her.”

She stopped giggling and studied him. “You’re not going to tell her Riley confronted you are you? Because as much as Buffy hates possessive guys, she really hates it when people tell her things before she’s ready.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “I do know your sister Nibblet, and I’m not going to say a bloody thing…yet.”

“Good,” Dawn said, satisfied. “’Cause I wouldn’t mind her dating you so I’ve got to keep you from blowing it.”

A ringing sounded and Dawn reached into her pocket, answering her phone. “Hello?”

Suddenly, Dawn brightened, “Hey Scott!” She withdrew her attention from Spike, walking towards the back room.

Spike mulled over what Dawn had pointed out.
She was right; Buffy was as stubborn as hell and he didn’t want to provoke her into thinking he was butting into her personal life.

Spike was jarred out of his thoughts as the door opened, revealing Xander. Spike eagerly followed him to the Bronze, looking forward to a beer and a game of pool. He’d just have to talk to Buffy later; right now he really needed to get drunk.