Author's Chapter Notes:
reviews, constructive criticisms and ideas are welcomed! Thanks again Lauren.
Chapter 5: Avoidance is the Best Thing

Buffy had now avoided her friends for three full days. Instead she had focused her energy on work, Riley and Dawn.

Currently she and Dawn were sitting on the couch munching on popcorn with the TV on some random channel. Truthfully, Buffy felt a little guilty for neglecting Dawn lately and promised her sister to make up for it. But now Dawn was talking about going on her date.

“Wait, I thought we were going to do the sister thing tonight?” Buffy pouted slightly.

Dawn gave her a sympathetic look, “I know, but I told you Scott and I had a date tonight.”

Buffy winced at the mention of Dawn’s boyfriend. She brushed some popcorn off her lap, a scowl on her face.

“Isn’t that Mr. Stick-My-Tongue-Down-Your-Throat?” Buffy accused.

“We were just kissing!” Dawn exclaimed. “Besides, you said I could go as long as I came straight inside after he dropped me off.”

Buffy sighed, but agreed. She shouldn’t limit Dawn’s social life because she was avoiding her own. It was selfish and wrong.

“Are you sure you have to go tonight?” Buffy asked hopefully. “I could get us some gummy worms.”

Dawn kissed her sister on the cheek and grabbed her purse, “Sorry. We’ll do the sister thing tomorrow okay?”

Buffy nodded, dejected, “Just be back by ten!”

Dawn yelled her agreement as she ran out the door, leaving Buffy all by her lonesome.

Buffy contemplated calling Faith and doing something before Dawn came home, but knowing Faith, Miss Party Girl extraordinaire, she wouldn’t be home until late.

Buffy reached into the bowl for another handful of popcorn-y goodness, but her hand came up empty.

“Pooey,” Buffy muttered and went to make another bag. If it was going to be a mopefest she might as well have provisions.

Riley was out with his friends, a guy’s night thing and Buffy definitely wasn’t intruding on that. only other option was to go to the Bronze with her friends. And Spike.

Buffy made a face, no way was she doing that tonight. The past couple of days had given Buffy a chance to really think about things. With Willow and Tara, Buffy knew she’d confront them soon enough or Willow would confess to her. Either way, they’d be talking in a little while.

Spike on the other hand, was a little bit different. Part of Buffy was telling her to grow up, it’d been four years now and both of them had moved on. The other part of her was screaming ‘Avoid! Avoid!’.

Spike wasn’t exactly known for his ability to keep his mouth shut. So, avoid Spike while he was here and she’d be good, but avoiding Spike was childish, she knew that.

Buffy sighed and pulled out the popcorn and dumped it into the bowl.

Maybe this was their opportunity to get some closure before the wedding, her optimistic side suggested. And closure was definitely needed.

The doorbell rang startling Buffy out of her musings and she opened the door, expecting Dawn to be standing there because she forgot something.

“Willow!” Buffy squeaked in surprise at the sight of the redhead on her porch.

“Hey Buffy,” Willow replied, fidgeting with the hem of her shirt.

“Yo B!” Faith called as she ascended the porch steps.

Buffy frowned and looked at the two of them, “You came here together?”

Willow nodded, not meeting her gaze, “Can we come in?”

Buffy nodded, opening the door for the two. Faith shrugged off her leather jacket and put her hands on her hips.

“Now, I never do this huggy shit, but this is bugging me. Willow- tell her,” Faith motioned to the redhead who bit her lip.

Buffy felt her stomach flip-flop at the seriousness of Faith’s tone.

Willow seemed to hesitate for a moment before opening her mouth and confessing.
“Buffy I’m sorry! I meant to tell you but I wasn’t sure how. We’ve been friends for so long and I thought you would be weirded out if I told you Tara and I are-you know- more than just friends.” Willow explained in a rush, her face flushed.

Buffy gaped at her best friend, “Willow! I would never do that. I love you and just because you have a girlfriend instead of a boyfriend doesn’t change anything. I was just hurt you weren’t going to tell me.”

Willow let out a weak laugh, “And I was worried you didn’t want to know.”

The pair stared at each other for second before Willow enveloped Buffy in a tight hug. Buffy sniffled, trying to keep her tears at bay.

“See,” Faith’s voice was loud in the silence, “This is why I don’t do this. It gets all emotional and girly.”

“Faith,” Buffy said with a smirk, “You are a girl.”

“Not when it comes to this kind of wimpy bullshit,” Faith defended herself. Buffy knew that Faith’s teasing was just her way of dealing with the awkwardness of the emotional moment.

“Come on, let’s do something celebratory. Bronze?” Willow asked with a wide smile.

Buffy, feeling lighter than she had the last couple of days, agreed and headed upstairs to get dressed.
She could do this, Buffy told herself firmly. If Spike was there she’d deal and maybe she’d even be… nice.

Spike stared into his empty glass wondering if Buffy was coming to the Bronze tonight. Since his revelation, he hadn’t seen Buffy anywhere. In fact no one had, which was why Willow was going over to Buffy’s house with Faith of all people. Spike sighed, fingering the rim of the glass lightly.

He loved her.

A part of his mind still boggled at the thought and the other part had known it all along. He loved her. And god did he want her. In more than just a one-night shag type of way. He wanted her in the full sense. No more bullshitting around, Spike told himself resolutely, he’d turned a new leaf and was determined to prove it to Buffy.

Buffy made it as far just outside the Bronze before her nerves returned. Who was she kidding? She wasn’t ready to face Spike. But right now she had no choice.

The three women paid the coverage and entered, Buffy lagging behind. She smoothed her swishy black skirt and fiddled with a piece of her curled hair as Willow and Faith searched the masses for Spike and Tara. Anya and Xander, Willow had informed her, were in LA shopping for various wedding needs Anya was convinced couldn’t be found in small town Sunnydale.

“Oh, I see them!” Willow shouted over the loud noise and led Faith and Buffy towards the back of the building where it was marginally quieter.

Spike saw Willow coming towards him and Tara, beaming.

“Hey baby,” Willow said and squeezed her official girlfriend’s hand.

Spike watched with interest. He never pegged Willow falling in love with a woman, but seeing them together, openly affectionate, made him see how perfect they were for each other.

Then he glanced up in surprise as Buffy slowly approached the table with a smile at Tara who sweetly smiled back. Then her eyes shifted to him for a brief moment before glancing down.

“Hello Buffy,” Spike greeted her and she gave him a suspicious look. Suddenly in a blur of dark chocolate hair and leather, Faith had tugged Spike on to the dance floor and begun moving sensuously.

“Hey Billy, long time no see. Whatcha been up to?”

Faith asked while grinding her backside into him.

Spike smirked, “Not much. Heard you got busted by the coppers.”

Faith turned around again, “Not so much fun. But in case you haven’t heard, I’m all reformed now. Doing the good girl shit.”

Spike laughed and threw a quick glance at Buffy sitting at the table. She was staring at them, her lips pressed together with an unreadable expression. If Spike hadn’t known Buffy, he would have almost defined it as jealousy.

Buffy watched as Faith and Spike danced so close together, seething. She mentally berated herself- why should she be mad? She had no claim what so ever on Spike, he was welcome to dance with anyone he wanted. She had Riley, her nice, sweet boyfriend. That was all she needed.

“Faith never was one for inhibitions,” Willow commented with a shake of her head.

“No, she isn’t,” Buffy replied continuing to watch them dance.

“Are they…?” Tara asked, her meaning clear.

“No,” Willow said emphatically, “Just good friends, I think. They’re a lot alike.”

The song ended and Spike returned to his seat while Faith went off to find a new dance partner.

Spike shook his head while lighting a smoke, “Bloody hell that woman is vicious.”

“Hey,” Willow said with a laugh, “No objections here.”

“So damn forceful,” Spike muttered then turned his attention to Buffy who was sitting there completely silent.

“How’ve you been, Summers?” Spike asked lightly.

“Fine,” Buffy answered shortly, still smarting over the dance she’d witnessed. Remember getting closure, she reminded herself, that requires being civil.

“I’ve been pretty good,” Buffy added, “How about you?”

A look of surprise flashed across Spike’s face. “I’ve been good, writing mostly. You still do all that martial arts?” Spike asked, a challenge present in his voice that Buffy immediately reacted to, forgetting all about being civil.

“Of course,” She scoffed, “What about you?”

“Bloody right I have. I could wipe the floor with your arse,” Spike taunted, easily settling into their routine.

Buffy rolled her eyes, “As if! You never could be beat me in high school, you’re never gonna now.”

“You wish,” Spike snapped, leaning forward to meet her eyes.

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest. “I know,” she corrected him.

“Prove it,” Spike said, suddenly straightening.

“Huh?” Buffy asked stupidly, not following his train of thought.

“Prove. It. Meet me at the old gym tomorrow,” Spike declared.

“Deal,” Buffy agreed.

Tara and Willow watched the blondes' stare down each other and Willow felt like she was being transported back to high school.

“You’re not really going to actually fight are you?” Willow asked nervously.

Buffy’s eyes glittered defiantly, “You bet your ass we are.”

“Damn right,” Spike conceded, “Betty here doesn’t stand a chance.”

Buffy angrily stood up, almost knocking her chair over, and stalked out the door. After a split second, Spike chased after her, cursing himself.

“Stupid soddin’ idiot. You’re not trying to piss her off!,”
Spike muttered as he exited the Bronze, into the refreshing cool air.

“Buffy!” He called at her retreating figure.

Buffy stopped at the sound of Spike’s voice. “What?” She snapped.

Spike jogged to her side, “Sorry luv, got carried away. We don’t have to do this if you don’t want to.”

“Don’t call me ‘luv’,” Buffy replied automatically then added, “Besides, I want to.”

She gave him a grin that made his heart skip a beat, “Kicking your ass is way too much fun.” Spike relaxed as the anger radiating from her diminished.

He grinned back at her, “So is kicking yours.”

The two walked in silence for a moment before Buffy spoke, “You can go back you know.”

“I was going to tell you the same thing,” Spike admitted.

Buffy looked back at the Bronze and shrugged, “I think I’m going to head home anyway. Dawn’ll be back soon.”

“I’ll walk you,” Spike replied, shoving his hands in his duster. Buffy opened her mouth to object but instead found herself nodding in agreement.

They headed in the general direction of her house, cutting through the playground.

Spike laughed causing Buffy to look at him.
“Remember when I dared you to jump off the big elm tree and you broke your arm?”

Buffy glared at him, “Yes. I was so mad at you. My mom grounded me for weeks, said I was too old to be doing stupid dares.”

Spike unexpectedly stopped, “Where is your mum?”

The million-dollar question, Buffy thought. Her throat tightened and she looked away. “She, um, died last year.”

Spike felt a rush of sympathy for her, “I’m sorry, lu-Buffy. Honest.”

“Thanks,” She said quietly, his comment made her remember Spike had lost his mom. They made the rest of the way to Buffy’s house in silence, but not the painfully awkward kind. It was the good kind that Buffy liked. It didn’t have to be filled like the silences between Riley and her.

They stood on the porch, unsure of what to say. Spike eyed the house nostalgically; 1630 Revello Drive looked exactly the same, right down to the rickety porch swing and potted plant by the door.

“Well,” Buffy began, “Night.”

Spike nodded, “Night then.” The hush between them was now growing uneasy, as if there was something they both wanted to say, but couldn’t form the words to do so.

“So, ten tomorrow?” Spike said loudly trying to alleviate the discomfort.

“Yep,” Buffy said quickly then smirked, “Be prepared to kiss the floor.”

“In your dreams blondie,” Spike shot back, a smirk on his own lips.

“Blondie? Look at your hair!” Buffy snorted, rolling her eyes. They paused; eyes meeting and Buffy felt a flush work its way up her neck at his forceful stare.

Buffy let out a tiny nervous laugh, “Spike what are you stare-“

Her question was cut off as Spike’s lips descended on hers.