Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks for all the reviews! Also thanks to my beta and hope you enjoy this chapter!
Chapter 6: Closure

Spike lips! Lips of Spike! Buffy’s mind screamed as said lips coaxed her own and his tongue swept against her bottom lip.

“Mmph!” She called out, her voice muffled. It had all happened so fast her head was spinning.

One minute they were insulting each other’s hair and the next he was laying a kiss on her that would knock any sensible girl’s socks off. Except she wasn’t any girl, she was a girl currently in a relationship, a serious one at that, and this was Spike who was kissing her! Spike!

That knowledge jarred her out of confusion and placed her firmly back into reality. Buffy pushed him off, her lips tingling at the loss of Spike’s.

“What the hell was that?” She demanded wiping any traces of Spike spit from her mouth.

Spike was having a little trouble adjusting to the sudden change.

“A kiss,” He paused and stepped closer, tilting his head, “I though it was kind of obvious.”

His voice was low and sultry, sending an involuntary shiver down her spine.

“You can’t just-You! Ugh!” She sputtered, all the sensations running through her body and Spike’s mind-boggling intentions rendering her speechless.
She let out a growl of frustration. “What gives you the right to just grab me and kiss me, you…pig!” Buffy practically shouted.

A spark of anger ignited in Spike and he clenched his jaw. Okay, maybe kissing the bint wasn’t the best way to go, he admitted to himself, but how could she not feel the heat between them?

“It’s not like you didn’t know it was coming,” Spike insisted and Buffy stared at him, open mouthed.

Unbelievable! That Stupid, impulsive asshole! The only thing she could think to do was- “Ow! Bloody hell!”- pop him in the nose.

“You just think ‘gee I really want to kiss her’ so you just do it?! Do you not have a brain? Does all the blood just-” Buffy stopped her tirade while Spike stood there clutching his nose.

“Fuck you!” She finished, yanking her door open and slamming it shut after her.

Once safely inside the confines of her room, Buffy slid down her door and held her head in her hands.
How could he do that? Just think he could kiss her and everything would be dandy? Buffy sighed and closed her eyes, the emotional roller coaster making her exhausted.

Just because, okay, they had been getting along, didn’t mean he could grab her and kiss her senseless! No, not senseless! Really! It was a revelation actually.

Spike kissing her brought everything back into focus, back into a crystal-clear image. She needed some form of closure for that night with Spike and he obviously couldn’t handle it the nice way, so she just need to sit him down and explain exactly what she thought.

If only Buffy didn’t feel like running at the very mention of his name right now.

There was a timid knock at the door that made her jump.

“Buffy?” Dawn called, “Is everything okay? I heard yelling and the door slamming…”

Buffy stood up and opened the door, giving her sister a false smile, “Hey, and yeah, everything’s fine. Spike and I just had a little…disagreement.”

Understatement of the millennium, Buffy added silently.

Dawn stared at her sister dubiously, but nodded, “Oh okay.” Her face instantly brightened, “I have to tell you about my date tonight! He was so sweet! First he picked me up and gave me a rose for our first date…”

Buffy halfheartedly listened to her younger sister babble on about her date, smiling and adding an ‘awww!’ in the right places.

She then sent Dawn to her room since it was almost eleven and Dawn was working at the Magic Box in the afternoon the next day to repay for her klepto days last year.

Buffy quickly changed into her silky pajamas and attempted to fall asleep, but by two in the morning, she’d all but given up. Her mind kept replaying the horrendous event outside her house and like looking at a car crash, she couldn’t help but watch.

A tiny voice, one that sounded a lot like Faith, kept asking her if she’d exploded at Spike for kissing her maybe because she was pissed at her own reaction, more specifically, her body’s nerve-tingling reaction.

No, Buffy told herself resolutely, he’d been way out of bounds and despite their effort to establish some kind of friendship, tonight had been a not-so-subtle reminder of why she detested Spike Giles.

*****************************

Buffy woke in the morning with the bright sun filtering through her frilly white curtains.

She rubbed her eyes and sat up, glancing at her clock which read nine am.

Her sleep had been fitful, her mind churning over the previous night’s events. She found herself restless even as she woke, feeling in need of something to do. Her eyes landed on her gym bag and instantly Buffy bounded out of bed, throwing on some jeans and a shirt and putting some extra clothes in her bag. Quietly, so she didn’t disturb Dawn, she went downstairs and left a note for her sister on the kitchen counter.

Buffy found her favorite boots by the door and put them on before heading outside.

******************************

Riley stared at the phone in his hands, debating whether or not to call Buffy.

She’d been so distant lately, he wondered if it was even worth it. She was constantly off somewhere else, if not physically then mentally, even when she was with him. Their conversations were stilted and usually consisted of nothing more than talking about their day. She seemed to think of him like a chore and not as someone to be there for her. He loved her. Riley wondered if she even knew that.

They’d been going out for so long it wasn’t something he thought about or talked about, it was just a fact. But Buffy still hadn’t asked him to move in even though he spent most nights there. With a sigh, he punched in her number, which he knew by heart.

“Hello?” Came Dawn’s groggy voice.

“Hey,” Riley said with a false cheeriness, “Is Buffy there?”

Dawn grumbled, “Hold on” and he could hear the pitter-patter of her feet as she descended the stairs.

“Um, I don’t think she’s here,” Dawn said, and then he heard a chair squeak. “Wait! She left a note; it says she should be back in a couple of hours. You could try her cell,” Dawn suggested.

Yeah, Riley thought, if she even has it with her.

“Thanks,” He said aloud and Dawn mumbled something about going back to sleep, hanging up the phone. Reluctantly Riley dialed Buffy’s cell phone, not surprised to be sent directly to her voice mail.

“Hey Buff, it’s, uh, Riley. Give me a call.”

***************************

Spike tried to calm his nerves as he entered the local gym he used to visit almost everyday.

It’s not like Buffy will actually show, he reminded himself as he asked the lady at the desk for a locker and towel. Buffy’s anger over the kiss the night before had been a glass of cold water in his face. He didn’t know why he’d tried to kiss her in the first place. He knew Buffy Summers, and she was loyal to the grave and also incredibly stubborn.

What had possessed him to actually think the bint would just kiss him back and everything would be hunky-dory? Cue the bleedin’ rising music, he thought sarcastically.

That wasn’t the Buffy Summers way. She made everything impossibly hard, in more ways then one, and then when he finally got to her, she’d pull away. It was classic- after all she’d done it before.

The girl never seemed to know exactly what she wanted and pushing her just made everything a hell of a lot worse.

So he’d play her game. He’d do the flowers and candy thing and even the ‘friends only’ bit. And then he’d have her.

Spike entered the gym and made his way to the back where the mats were set up for lessons and on Sundays, open gym. There he set down his towel and began stretching, observing the few others in the room. He really hadn’t expected to see Buffy there, which was why he stood, rooted in his spot, at the sight of a very familiar head of perky blonde hair.

Buffy was having some one on one time with the punching bag, taking her aggression out on it, when she felt a pair of eyes on her. She spun around, fully intending on making a scathing comment to whatever lunkhead was ogling her but froze when she saw exactly who it was.

“Spike,” She said, her voice squeaking. He was standing by the benches in a wife-beater tee and black sweats looking just as surprised to see her as well.

“I didn’t think you’d show up…” He trailed off, stupefied.

Buffy frowned, placing her hands on her hips, “What are you…oh.” Their impromptu arrangement came rushing back to her and she let out a groan. Why me? She wondered and shut her eyes, hoping she was hallucinating. No such luck.

“Summers, you’re-” He began but she quickly cut him off.

“Save it. I completely forgot,” she dropped her voice, “since you traumatized me with your kissy lips.”
Spike tried not to grin at her utter adorableness and focus on the fact she was glaring daggers at him.

“Listen,” Spike said with a sigh and ran his hand through his hair. “I shouldn’t have kissed you. It was bloody stupid of me but I’d had a few too many drinks and wasn’t thinking.” All right, maybe the drinking part was a bit of an exaggeration.

“Point is, didn’t mean to offend you lu-Summers,” He quickly corrected himself.

There was a silence as Buffy contemplated his words. He seemed sincere enough, Buffy noted.

“You’re right,” she began slowly. “You shouldn’t have been all Mr. Grabby.”

She paused for a moment, gathering her courage. It was now or never, she told herself- just say it!
“What happened between us, that night, on prom night…it was a mistake.”

Spike clenched his jaw at her words, resisting the urge to protest, determined to hear her out.
“We were both vulnerable and you weren’t exactly Joe Sober and I…I needed that…,” Buffy looked away, “…that comfort, I guess. We both did.”

Abruptly she straightened, having collected her thoughts.

“But the past is the past and I want to leave it alone. We both know what happened and that’s all it should be,” She said determinedly, “Something that simply happened.”

Spike managed a nod and met her eyes, “Right.”
Buffy bit her lip, “And Spike? It stays just between us, right?”

Spike knew she wasn’t asking for his permission, she was setting her rules.

“Of course,” He said stiffly.

Buffy shut her eyes and let out the breath she had been holding anxiously. This was it, her closure. Somehow she thought it would be more…pronounced. Possibly accompanied by neon lights.

“So…truce?” Buffy asked hopefully and stuck out her hand. They could have a clean slate and everything would be okay, it had to be. She could focus on Riley and Spike could focus on someone else.

Spike reluctantly shook her hand, “Truce.”

Buffy pulled her hand away quickly, ignoring her tingling fingers and smirked at him, “Come on Spikey, time to have your ass kicked by little ole me.”